Who likes deep fried fish and chips from the local chipshop

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    It has to be haddock. No salt as the over salt at out local chippy, vinegar. No sauces. Bread and butter and a cup of tea with it. Perfection.

I had a craving for fish and chips last year and after asking around was directed to an Irish pub with the "best fish and chips outside the UK". The fish was that chopped, shaped stuff in freezer aisle batter and the chips were fast food MacDonalds style. I could have wept...

I've had fish and chips in a British pub in America. It was close but not quite there.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I prefer it when they are cooked in beef dripping though many places no longer do this, almost boasting they are cooked in oil.

The Skyliner in Whitkirk still uses beef dripping and they are much nicer for it. We pay about £12 for twice, two breadcakes and two mushy peas.

I've never had nice fish and chips outside Yorkshire if I'm honest, they're just awful everywhere else. When we lived down south, the local chippy there used peanut oil which was absolutely rank. Perfect if you like dry, tasteless chips though.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Do they have fish and chips in the US? or is it our delacacy?

I've seen it on menus there yes, and even been in the company of Americans who even ordered fish & chips. I wish I'd tried them myself actually :)

Thankfully the Americans stick to calling them 'fish & chips' too!! :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    fleabee wrote: »
    No it's unhealthy. I don't eat fried food anymore.

It's not particularly unhealthy at all, fried food is fine.
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Do they have fish and chips in the US? or is it our delacacy?

Yes. Crops up quite a bit on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burglars broke into the local chippy last week .

Police say they got a good battering ;)
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen on battered fish so I normally have saveloy and chips, or occasionally scampi.

Plenty of salt, onion vinegar and a dollop of tartar. Yummy.

I also prefer the crunchy bits to the big fat chips as well :D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I always ask for plenty of extra batter to go with the fish and chips.
    Ian.

Which chippy do you go to?

Usually once a month I'll pop to my local one.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Which chippy do you go to?

Usually once a month I'll pop to my local one.
    There's one about 10 minutes from where I live where I regularly go. But the best fish and chips for myself is at the little coastal town with the harbour as I mentioned earlier in this thread where the fisherman arrive and depart from the harbour every day, weather permitting and the fist are delivered fresh every day as they arrive in the harbour at the local chip shop/cafe.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite place for buying fish and chips is a small seaside resort up in North Nothumberland called Seahouses beside a coastal harbour, where fishboats arrive and depart every day, weather permitting and the fresh fish are delivered to a local fish and chip shop/cafe on the day of arrival in the harbour for on the day of cooking and it's absolute perfection.
    Ian.

Seahouses is a lovely place. Newiggin has a good chippy as well, as does Amble.

I used to say the same about Berwick, but I was a bit disappointed last time I visited that particular chippy.
    There's one about 10 minutes from where I live where I regularly go. But the best fish and chips for myself is at the little coastal town with the harbour as I mentioned earlier in this thread where the fisherman arrive and depart from the harbour every day, weather permitting and the fist are delivered fresh every day as they arrive in the harbour at the local chip shop/cafe.
    Ian.

I live in Gateshead myself so I just wondered if I ever went to the same chippy as you.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Burglars broke into the local chippy last week .

Police say they got a good battering ;)

Following a fresh skirmish they were both caught....
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Seahouses is a lovely place. Newiggin has a good chippy as well, as does Amble.

I used to say the same about Berwick, but I was a bit disappointed last time I visited that particular chippy.

I live in Gateshead myself so I just wondered if I ever went to the same chippy as you.

The Chip Shop I go to is called Gills which makes very nice Fish and Chips.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chip Shop I go to is called Gills which makes very nice Fish and Chips.
    Ian.

I've got two near me, one called "The *place where I live* Fry" and the other is Ginos.

Let's say one is slightly better than the other!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I've got two near me, one called "The *place where I live* Fry" and the other is Ginos.

Let's say one is slightly better than the other!

Surely they could have made a pun out of that by calling it "The Plaice Where I Live"?
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,765
    Forum Member
    This thread is making me very hungry!
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes fancy fish and chips. Trouble is half an hour after finishing I feel as though I have a huge boulder in my stomach.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    We got them for tea yesterday... it is definitely a 2-3 times a year treat, but my they were lovely. Large cod, small chips and an extra cod for the cats (or they just sit on my chair and hook the fish off my plate with their claws.

Most important question is

a) salt & vinegar
    b) tomato ketchup
    c) mayo
    d) nothing
    e) something disgusting, like brown sauce.

Now that's what really divides Scotland. You'll be offered salt & vinegar in Glasgow, salt & sauce in Edinburgh. :D

Anstruther Fish Bar does the best fish and chips. Anywhere. Ever.

http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/awards.html
  • Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cook my own. Haddock dipped in beaten egg, rolled and coated in seasoned flour, then shallow fried in groundnut oil. Serve with quartered lemons and Hollandaise sauce - bugger the chips.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cook my own. Haddock dipped in beaten egg, rolled and coated in seasoned flour, then shallow fried in groundnut oil. Serve with quartered lemons and Hollandaise sauce - bugger the chips.
    Oh dear! All the fun has gone out of it :D

Am visiting Whitby soon where I'm told they serve the best fish and chips. Can't wait. They do excellent fish and chips at the Ventnor Haven fishery on the IOW. The chips especially are amazing. If you add in the ferry price though they're not particularly cheap :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »

Am visiting Whitby soon where I'm told they serve the best fish and chips. Can't wait. They do excellent fish and chips at the Ventnor Haven fishery on the IOW. The chips especially are amazing. If you add in the ferry price though they're not particularly cheap :D

I'm a posh tart, I am. I even eat the fish with tossed green salad. ;-):o
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a posh tart, I am. I even eat the fish with tossed green salad. ;-):o
    Oh man! I don't suppose you add in a pickled onion/egg do you? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh man! I don't suppose you add in a pickled onion/egg do you? :D

Certainly not!! >:(>:(:D
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am visiting Whitby soon where I'm told they serve the best fish and chips. Can't wait.

The Magpie Cafe. Delicious fish and chips last time was there, although it was about five years ago. Hope they are still the same, if they are you're in for a treat.

http://www.magpiecafe.co.uk/
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was in Whitby last week. Most people queue to get in the Magpie Cafe but I didn't find them anything out of this world, especially given the long wait. Trenchers is good but truly world class fish & chips along with excellent service can be found at Mr Chips. Among the very best I've had and I was born in Grimsby.
    Forum Member
    I was in Whitby last week. Most people queue to get in the Magpie Cafe but I didn't find them anything out of this world, especially given the long wait. Trenchers is good but truly world class fish & chips along with excellent service can be found at Mr Chips. Among the very best I've had and I was born in Grimsby.

I loved the Magpie Cafe but lots of people told me they weren't the best in town. Quayside won the best chippy in Britain award I believe.