Options

Shrinking Sizes & Rising Prices

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Waitrose Indian Rices, previously 350gm now 300gm. Shrinkage coincides with a total repackaging AND a promotion on said rice so I guess they`re hoping us dumb sheep won`t notice. Ironically the package carries a "25% off" sticker referring to the promo price when really the truth is the contents are @15% smaller. Promotion ends in a couple of weeks so at that time people will (mostly) unknowingly be paying even more for less. Shelf-edge offer notice still had the old size details on so they are effectively misleading punters right now. Their Chinese rices are currently staying the same size but after this I fully expect a repackaging of those to signal similar bait-and-switch tactics.

Expect this kind of tactic from some of the less prestigious supermarkets but I guess they`re all the same at heart.

Any other notable ones to watch out for?

Comments

• Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People ARE less likely to notice a size reduction than a price increase, and more willing to put up with it as well. So, annoying as it is, it does work.

My mum keeps saying she's sure you get fewer slices of bread in a Hovis than you used to, but I haven't noticed.

The most obvious one for me is tins of Quality Street and the like. Compared to what you used to get they are absolutely tiny, and made with cheaper packaging (plastic instead of metal) but still around £5 each.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I noticed one tonight and I'm not happy. Bought the Old El Paso fajita kit and the tortillas are noticeably smaller and poorer quality. They are £3.25 a kit and have always been worth the extra because the quality was noticeably better than cheaper alternatives.
    We couldn't believe the size of the tortillas and they didn't really puff up in the pan.
    Very annoyed.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most chocolate bars are much smaller than they used to be.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coke did this earlier this year. The ditched the 2l bottles in favour of 1.75l (from memory) bottles instead. Prices stayed the same and the bottles, now designed to look like the classic glass bottles, take up the same amount of room in the fridge.
    We no buy Pepsi that is still in 2l size at the same pricing or less. The price annoys me, but reducing the capacity whilst taking the same space in my fridge annoys me even more!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    Most chocolate bars are much smaller than they used to be.

Lots aren't though. Wagon Wheels for a start.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to disagree. Wagon Wheels are at least a third smaller then when I was a kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. Wagon Wheels are at least a third smaller then when I was a kid.

Thing is they most definitely aren't, you are just imagining it. They adjusted sizes in line with other countries which meant they reduced ever so slightly but that was it.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe they are smaller, but they are definitely more stingy with the mallow and chocolate. I bought one recently and you could easily see the biscuit through the chocolate.
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is they most definitely aren't, you are just imagining it. They adjusted sizes in line with other countries which meant they reduced ever so slightly but that was it.

No agree with MTUK1. Wagon Wheels have shrunk several times over the years. They were definitely bigger when I was kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    No agree with MTUK1. Wagon Wheels have shrunk several times over the years. They were definitely bigger when I was kid.

They have shrunk in width by 5mm. You must have some eyesight.

Also most things were bigger when you were a kid. It's called perception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have shrunk in width by 5mm. You must have some eyesight.

Also most things were bigger when you were a kid. It's called perception.

No a lot more than 5mm. If my mum was still alive I would ask her as she worked in Burton's Slough factory for a while.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea, it is getting worse. But there is little resistance from the consumer..

I am sure by the time it gets the point where food is too expensive to buy for many people the Government will give the green light to a two year investigation on whether the Supermarkets are pricing food fairly... the results of that investigation will be mulled over for a further year and a half. The result will probably be a stiff warning to supermarkets to buck up their ideas or else.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greggs - reduce the size of the cheese pasties, put the price up and also take the salt out and other things so they do not taste as good as they used to. Brilliant. No wonder local bakeries around here are doing so well.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago, Jaffa cakes used to be bigger, they had lots of orange in the middle, and thick chocolate on the top
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No a lot more than 5mm. If my mum was still alive I would ask her as she worked in Burton's Slough factory for a while.

No, it's whats called a fact. Look it up if you don't believe me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's whats called a fact. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I have looked at Wikipedia and Burtons website. Wikipedia confirms the size has changed but needs citations and Burtons deny it, how I don't know.

They came in open top bags and were about 4" diameter and had real chocolate as the coating, not the mini things you get now with chocolate substitute.

So you believe what you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have looked at Wikipedia and Burtons website. Wikipedia confirms the size has changed but needs citations and Burtons deny it, how I don't know.

They came in open top bags and were about 4" diameter and had real chocolate as the coating, not the mini things you get now with chocolate substitute.

So you believe what you want.

All I'll say is that it's funny how all the people who claim Wagon Wheels have dramatically shrunk have absolutely zero evidence to back their claims up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I'll say is that it's funny how all the people who claim Wagon Wheels have dramatically shrunk have absolutely zero evidence to back their claims up.

Hysterical.

With hindsight I should have had the forethought to measure one to post on a internet forum forty years later. Kids eh!

If you look at Wikipedia they do state the size is smaller now.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LINK
    The size of the UK Wagon Wheel was reduced in width in the 1980s after the move to Wales from 79 mm to 74 mm. At the same time, the British Wagon Wheel lost its crimped edge.
    Nostalgic adults now don't think they taste as good as they used to. Some even feel that they got smaller. Some sources, even that BBC, say however that Wagon Wheels didn't get smaller -- that instead they appeared smaller as a result of adults trying them for the first time since childhood and that their hands had got bigger making the cookies seem smaller. They cleverly called this "The Wagon Wheel Effect." Sadly, the facts do show that the biscuits had got smaller, putting paid to what would otherwise have been a clever name and concept
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes and I've already stated they have shrunk by 5mm, not the 'at least 25mm' that someone else is claiming on this thread.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    People ARE less likely to notice a size reduction than a price increase, and more willing to put up with it as well. So, annoying as it is, it does work.
    Ain't that the truth. After the last budget, several cigarette manufacturers reduced the number of cigarettes in a packet from 20 to 19. This was done very quietly, and the number in the pack is now printed on the cellophane wrapper, which you discard, rather than the pack itself, meaning that many people have not realised that their 20 **** are now, in fact, 19. It also allows the manufacturers to further reduce the number in a pack without reprinting the packaging.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yup, Wagon Wheels are smaller. I only needed to eat one 25 years ago. Now I have to eat four because they are smaller. >:(
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the 'wagon wheels are smaller' camp. I have no evidence but I'm certain they ARE smaller. :D

I think what some people object to is that the shrinkage seems tricksy, with manufacturers using a 'repackaging' to cover what they're doing, some even telling us it's 'new and improved' or some such nonsense. If you ever find that your favorite product is unavailable for week or two, it's likely they're changing the size/price, so they tell you it's out of stock as they don't want any 'old' packages around for comparison. ;-)
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    You do realise that ingredients costs, power costs, manufacturing costs, Labour costs increase.., therefore they have to raise prices. Generally, they're profit margin is no better.