Options

Scart leads.

2»

Comments

• Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood that the data (video) on dvds was stored in component format at the relevant resolution/frame rate. Thus component output on a dvd player should be the best, but RGB is easily derived from component so should be as good. I think the same applies to blu-ray.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    There are quite a few reference DVD's that can show you the advantages of progressive scan.

Indeed the DVD player can read the progressive flag and then just do weave deinterlacing and pass straight out as progressive. If passed across as an interlaced signal the TV has to recognise the progressive nature of the signal to weave, if it doesn't do that then the picture will be degraded.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    I understood that the data (video) on dvds was stored in component format at the relevant resolution/frame rate. Thus component output on a dvd player should be the best, but RGB is easily derived from component so should be as good. I think the same applies to blu-ray.

as i said dvds store as luminance and 2 half bandwidth chrominance. rgb is a rematrix on which only luminance information is at higher frequencies and identical on the 3 channels. actually storing it like this on the dvd would be redundant and shorten playing time.

not sure about blu ray but it is pointless to have full bandwidth chrominance so probably exactly same method.

dont matter much which screen connection you use if it can handle the highest output bandwidth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course the video has been compressed for spatial and temporal redundancy then converted by fourier transform ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    analogue output HD video can work over a scart lead if the devices allow it. in practise there will be some high frequency rolloff above 10 mhz and probably crosstalk interference.