Marvel's Agents of SHIELD on Ch4 (Use Spoiler Tags)

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    I watched almost all of S1 on channel 4 because it was only slightly delayed from the original US air date, but since Channel 4 isn't doing that this time, and can't be bothered to tell anyone when it's showing it, I may as well download the episodes.
    Some of us couldn't care less and will watch it whenever they show it.
    Do channel 4 not understand you can't delay massively this in this day and age?
    Why can't you? It's not absolutely, vitally important. It can wait. It's only TV.
    And why aren't they telling anyone when they're airing it (or IF)?
    Because maybe they haven't decided yet. Or maybe an announcement is imminent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Some of us couldn't care less and will watch it whenever they show it.
    Why can't you? It's not absolutely, vitally important. It can wait. It's only TV.
    Because maybe they haven't decided yet. Or maybe an announcement is imminent.

It doesn't sound like you're a fan of the show, so I'm not quite sure why you considered your attitude to it would be relevant to anyone who is.

Peddle your irrelevance and negativity elsewhere please.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched almost all of S1 on channel 4 because it was only slightly delayed from the original US air date, but since Channel 4 isn't doing that this time, and can't be bothered to tell anyone when it's showing it, I may as well download the episodes.

Do channel 4 not understand you can't delay massively this in this day and age? What the hell are they thinking? And why aren't they telling anyone when they're airing it (or IF)?

Perhaps they realise that UK audiences will not tolerate breaks in broadcasts and so are delaying the start to ensure it's shown continuously. It makes far more sense for them to try to broadcast the series in a block for scheduling purposes too.

C5 only announced the scheduling of Gotham last week, 2 weeks prior to air, so I expect we'll hear about Agents soon too. Estimates put it on the 24th.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well if Channel 4 have not started showing it by the end of October then I don't think they will start it untill 2015 and I will be obtaining it by other means!

Although I've still got hope for the 24th October!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    scardis wrote: »
    Actually RTÉ have been quite good at getting European premiers of previous programs. LOST and Scrubs made it to Irish screens before UK screens in the past.

I think I automatically assume the worst when it comes to them. So I get really shocked when they pull something out of the bag.
    Forum Member
    It doesn't sound like you're a fan of the show, so I'm not quite sure why you considered your attitude to it would be relevant to anyone who is.
    I'm a fan of the show. Why wouldn't I be just because I'm not so desperate to see it that I will do something illegal and immoral?

Perhaps I'm actually more of a fan of the show than you are as I value the time and effort that goes into making this show so much that I wait to watch it when it's shown over here so that Channel 4 don't drop the show because no-one's watching it because they've downloaded it instead?
    I am as much allowed to air my opinions are you are!
    varsas wrote: »
    Perhaps they realise that UK audiences will not tolerate breaks in broadcasts and so are delaying the start to ensure it's shown continuously. It makes far more sense for them to try to broadcast the series in a block for scheduling purposes too.
    This too.
    C5 only announced the scheduling of Gotham last week, 2 weeks prior to air, so I expect we'll hear about Agents soon too. Estimates put it on the 24th.
    Exactly. All shows air-dates and times are only announced around two weeks beforehand because that's when they are finalised and released to publishers. Before that there's only "coming soon" teasers, etc.
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan of the show. Why wouldn't I be just because I'm not so desperate to see it that I will do something illegal and immoral?

Ah. I guessed this might have been the real cause of your negaitivity.
    Perhaps I'm actually more of a fan of the show than you are as I value the time and effort that goes into making this show so much that I wait to watch it when it's shown over here so that Channel 4 don't drop the show because no-one's watching it because they've downloaded it instead?

Well, that's all very high minded of you, but in this day and age the way to ensure that doesn't happen is to air things in a timely manner, because people don't wait. Like I said, I watched the first season on Channel 4 because it was broadcast here in the same week, only a few days after the US broadcast.

Channel 4 did the right thing there. People just aren't willing to wait several months or years for the great new TV show they like to cross the ocean (or in this case... who knows how long... Channel 4 hasn't told us!) Just look at how downloading has taken off in Australia because of the brain-dead thinking of the TV companies there who still think they exist in an age before the internet.

And the problem Channel 4 will create themselves is that no one will watch it on broadcast TV if they've already begun to download it, hence the need for keeping things as close to the original air date as possible.

When people start downloading it because they hear nothing from the broadcaster who normally carries a show, the channel only has itself to blame if people think, sod it then, I'll get it by other means.

You can tut and disapprove and cast around moral aspersions all you like, but it won't do any good, whereas broadcasting things in a timely manner will do what you say you want: plently of viewers on broadcast TV.
    I am as much allowed to air my opinions are you are!

You are indeed, and if you're trashing my opinions or the way I behave then I'm entitled to call you out on it.
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen a coming soon advert for series 2, so not much longer to wait:)

I far prefer watching them in a single block with no breaks, hopefully the last episode of the series will be aired close to the showing in the US. Might be a little late now though.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In America Shield is being shown in 2 blocks of 11 continuous episodes unlike last year when it had a ton of breaks all over the place so it does seem abit weird that ch4 are holding back from showing s2? Maybe they just don't want such a long gap between the blocks :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe they had a ton of programming already scheduled for the slot they want to put it in and they weren't told when they could start showing it until they had already committed those slots to other shows?
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well Geektown are saying that Agents Of SHIELD season 2 starts on the 24th October at 8pm

I hope they are right!
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Well Geektown are saying that Agents Of SHIELD season 2 starts on the 24th October at 8pm

I hope they are right!

I wonder if it is 31st October?
    E4 are repeating season one week days and it will end Oct 30.
    Forum Member
    Well, that's all very high minded of you, but in this day and age the way to ensure that doesn't happen is to air things in a timely manner, because people don't wait. Like I said, I watched the first season on Channel 4 because it was broadcast here in the same week, only a few days after the US broadcast.

Channel 4 did the right thing there. People just aren't willing to wait several months or years for the great new TV show they like to cross the ocean (or in this case... who knows how long... Channel 4 hasn't told us!) Just look at how downloading has taken off in Australia because of the brain-dead thinking of the TV companies there who still think they exist in an age before the internet.

And the problem Channel 4 will create themselves is that no one will watch it on broadcast TV if they've already begun to download it, hence the need for keeping things as close to the original air date as possible.

When people start downloading it because they hear nothing from the broadcaster who normally carries a show, the channel only has itself to blame if people think, sod it then, I'll get it by other means.
    There's a lot of generalisation in your posts. Who told you to speak for everyone else? I certainly didn't. I only ever speak for myself.

And, as has been said before, you generally won't hear anything from a broadcaster until they've finalised exactly when it's going to be shown. How can they tell you when they're going to show it when they don't know themselves? :confused:
    You are indeed, and if you're trashing my opinions or the way I behave then I'm entitled to call you out on it.
    Pretty sure I didn't actually do that though >:(
    Stone Free wrote: »
    I've just seen a coming soon advert for series 2, so not much longer to wait:)
    Probably in the next month then.
    I wonder if it is 31st October?
    E4 are repeating season one week days and it will end Oct 30.
    24th actually :)
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of generalisation in your posts. Who told you to speak for everyone else?
    Just because I mentioned "people" doesn't mean I'm speaking for "everyone" (your words). Now that's a generalisation.

Anyway, if you don't want to take into account the way that the internet effects the consumption of media and the way more traditional broadcasters/distributors deal with this 'more egalitarian' distribution platform, then I certainly can't force you.

Such traditional media companies have been kicking and fighting the new means of transmission for at least a decade now (see the music and movie industries in particular). For a while it seemed like Channel 4 was one of the ones that got it.

Then again, maybe they figured the hit they'd take from downloading/streaming was negligible because of the lack of popular success the show has had. Perhaps they didn't think it would make much difference and that paying a premium for immediate broadcast rights would be unwise. Perhaps they've lost faith in the show.
    I certainly don't know their reasons for remaining silent long past the original US broadcast date.

I do know that such delay and uncertainty does make people (not everyone, not even necessarily the majority, but some, perhaps many people) look for alternatives to watching it on broadcast TV.

And they'll do that no matter how much you may disapprove of, or dismiss such attitudes.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how they will handle the 8 week break for agent carter. That's assuming they don't pick it up as they may well get agent carter,

Can't wait for season 2, heard its a lot better then the first season :)
  • IrishdaveIrishdave Posts: 2,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the season 2 premiere shown last night on Irish TV. Things seem to have kicked up a gear and the Absorbing Man, as a new adversary, is what viewers have been screaming for - a villian with actual superpowers!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Irishdave wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the season 2 premiere shown last night on Irish TV. Things seem to have kicked up a gear and the Absorbing Man, as a new adversary, is what viewers have been screaming for - a villian with actual superpowers!
    Remember that this is the UK pace thread. You shouldn't post anything that may act as a spoiler.
    Forum Member
    I certainly don't know their reasons for remaining silent long past the original US broadcast date.
    This has already been explained twice now; so you do know their reasons.

And no, I would never break the law simply to watch a TV show. How ridiculous.

Now perhaps if they were made available legally. But then we wouldn't need broadcast TV would we? (As we currently don't for some programmes, of course ;))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I *am* a fan of the show and I agree with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this is considered off-topic, but reading it just made my day. Robert Downey Jr. has just answered TWICE that he's interested in appearing on MAoS in an IAMA on Reddit ! :D

Question : What ongoing TV show would you be willing to guest star or do a cameo for?
    RDJ : Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Question : Hi! This AMA is someting we've all been waiting for :D
    My question: Any chance you'll drop by on Agents of SHIELD this season? :)
    RDJ : Nothing is impossible. But there might be a fair amount of red tape involved in something like that. I love Clark Gregg, and am pleased the show is doing so well.

Ok, I realise the chances of this happening are still pretty slim but it would be nice if Marvel could release extra money specially for this. Maybe for Season 3 ( if it isn't canceled yet ) as Avengers 2 would be done and Stark could be the first to find out Coulson is alive on the show.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am a HUGE fan of this show, in fact i think its been brilliant since the pilot not just the s1 end run.

but i am happy to wait for c4, i hate breaks, even one 8 week break is too long.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    The show is on in a couple of weeks (days in fact), hardly the mega long wait that's being implied.

While I can see a fair few thousands of people getting the episodes soon after US broadcast, I don't think this is such a high number to affect C4's viewing figures.

Sometimes people are happy to wait and sometime people aren't, trading off who is right/wrong/better probably isn't worth hassle.

I'm glad that C4 has started the promos again and are keeping it on the main channel. Not long to go now for those who haven't seen the first 3 episodes.
    Forum Member
    The show is on in a couple of weeks (days in fact), hardly the mega long wait that's being implied.
    It's essentially 2 weeks from tomorrow but a month and a quarter after the original air date.
    While I can see a fair few thousands of people getting the episodes soon after US broadcast, I don't think this is such a high number to affect C4's viewing figures.
    You may well be right. The only reason I mentioned it in the first place is I'd rather watch it on C4, but they didn't tell anyone they were showing it at all, and once someone has started watching the season via alternate means, they're going to keep doing that, unless there's only a week delay - which is what happened the first season, where I just waited and watched it all on C4.

In this case, I'm already on the third episode, so that would mean waiting another 6 weeks before C4 has caught up.

It's unlikely anyone's willing to do that.
    Sometimes people are happy to wait and sometime people aren't, trading off who is right/wrong/better probably isn't worth hassle.
    I entirely agree.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For people wanting to catch up on series 1 the whole series is available on Sky On Demand (Boxsets / ABC HD)