Options

Jurassic World (2015)

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear..perhaps should have left it alone, Iooks more like Jaws 3 if anything, not something to look forward too.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Complaining about CGI seven months before release. Amusing comments on the video :p
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The premise just sounds awful and the trailer shows how dreadful a film it'll be. It feels very much like a generic disaster movie but with dinosaurs, well actually one hybrid GM dinosaur. Visually it looks impressive and the CG will be of much better quality come release, it still the same formula of amazing visuals without a good story.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally can't wait.

It was the only way to move the story forward and I'm loving that so many tourists will now be in danger.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so unbelievably excited.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CGI dinosaurs don't look any better than the ones from 20 years ago.

It's still in post-production. I imagine the finished product will look much better than in the trailer.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks good to me. While the movie is probably not a masterpiece it sure well could be an enjoyable one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's way too much CGI and it looks and sounds like it's going to be way over the top.

2012, with dinosaurs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking forward to it. as long as there is a good balance between the cgi and stan winston dino's then i'm sure it will be good.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    Having a gang of trained Raptors looks badass!
    If we can train Dogs, Monkey's and Dolphins, why not Raptors, right? :p
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    It's still in post-production. I imagine the finished product will look much better than in the trailer.

Yeah, I made the mistake of bitching about the apes in the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer. They looked awesome in the finished product.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    If we can train Dogs, Monkey's and Dolphins, why not Raptors, right? :p

I've seen a lot of negativity about the trained raptors but I'm going to keep my thoughts open on it. Of course we want to see them ripping people apart, but it makes sense for them to be trained from birth considering how smart they are.

And I'm sure we'll get the ripping people apart in some form...
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the full trailer just ruined my excitement. :(

Baby Godzilla anyone.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Not quite feeling it there, but way too early to judge of course. As a bit of brand awareness it probably does its job and as is often the case, later trailers will probably be more impressive - remember how Man of Steel trailer #3 blew everyone away?

Given just how many other major trailers are due to drop soon (Star Wars, BvS), it's understandable they play it a little cool.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The park bit looks great, but one Chris Pratt starts finding out what happens it looks like there will be ages of looking around.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I bet the hybrid is half T-Rex & half velociraptor.

Velotirexor.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Jurassic Park was about a lot of things, none of those things being dinosaurs.

That was just the dramatic hook, you could have told that same story within a WW2 setting or an earthquake.

That's why I also quite liked JP3, because it was not about dinosaurs.

But it seems JP4 is completely and utterly about dinosaurs, so basically a Disney ride with paper thin characters along the way.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The original Jurassic Park was about a lot of things, none of those things being dinosaurs.

That is going a bit far. I think it was a little bit about dinosaurs. Especially the parts with all the dinosaurs and when all the characters talked about dinosaurs.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member

Apart from all the dinosaurs. You know; breeding dinosaurs, a theme park set around dinosaurs, dinosaurs chasing and eating people, escaping from dinosaurs...
    That was just the dramatic hook, you could have told that same story within a WW2 setting or an earthquake.

I can't get my head round this...how does JP translate to a WW2 setting?
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member

I can't get my head round this...how does JP translate to a WW2 setting?

I'm trying to picture this. Maybe the t-rex is the SS, the raptors the German army...and the kitchen...the Reichstag? :confused: Does that make John Hammond Hitler? :o

I'm really looking forward to Jurassic World. I'm a bit sceptical about the new hybrid dinosaur but I'll reserve judgement until I see it.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand the complaints about use of CGI, myself. The original used CGI for very similar shots that we've seen in the trailer. We know there are practical dinosaurs and animatronics at work in the film. Just... patience.
    @colintrevorrow · Nov 24
    @TheHoyt08 The gate is practical, the environment isn't. That shot was made specifically for the trailer. The film will be different.
    @colintrevorrow · Nov 24
    @alexfieldsman the gate will be practical. Real wood, concrete and steel.
    First of all, it's important to remember that the further we are from releasing the movie, the further the VFX are from completion. Early trailers and commercials will always feature VFX that aren't "done," because our target for delivery is like six months from now, and our team doesn't find out for sure which VFX shots they're going to need for the ad campaign until... hold on... juuuuuuust about the moment they need those shots right this ****ing second oh my god.

Papers get thrown, people run down hallways, it's a whole Broadcast News thing.

So, we take whatever work is done on one of those shots, save off a copy, and rush a quick alternate version to completion. Maybe the animation is final, but the comp isn't. Maybe nothing is final. Maybe everything is final, but later someone changes their mind and adds another thing to the shot. Whatevs. We give them Some Version of the shot — complete with, like, color and everything, it's super official — and they release the trailer, and we go back and keep workin' on it like we were already doin.' This is how you end up with comparison albums featuring, for instance, the difference between trailer and movie VFX for Guardians of the Galaxy. Happens all the time.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of negativity about the trained raptors but I'm going to keep my thoughts open on it. Of course we want to see them ripping people apart, but it makes sense for them to be trained from birth considering how smart they are.

And I'm sure we'll get the ripping people apart in some form...

I imagine the raptors won't stay obedient for long...

They may not even really be trained. They might just not be attacking Chris Pratt in that scene because there is much bigger prey available, a much greater reward for the energy expended so they're not wasting any on a tiny human. I hope theres strong biological themes such as in JP, like how Jeff goldblum talks about how life always finds a way. (I'm a zoologist, I love that shit)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member

That's why I also quite liked JP3, because it was not about dinosaurs.
    If you mean the films had standard narrative tropes easily applicable to other genres, and thematic concerns perhaps not entirely related to dinosaurs, then fair enough. That's pretty standard with film in general. But dinosaurs and related issues were surely under discussion too.
    But it seems JP4 is completely and utterly about dinosaurs, so basically a Disney ride with paper thin characters along the way.
    Seen it already have you? *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this'll be better than the disappointing Godzilla we had this year.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to picture this. Maybe the t-rex is the SS, the raptors the German army...and the kitchen...the Reichstag? :confused: Does that make John Hammond Hitler? :o

Where Dinosaurs Dare
    Saving Private Ryan from Dinosaurs
    633 Dinosaurs
    The Dinosaur Busters
    The Dirty Dinosaurs
    Kelly's Dinosaurs
    A Dinosaur Too Far
    The Dinosaur on the River Kwai
    The Dinosaurs of Navarone
    The Dinosaur Has Landed