Options

What other comedy stars gets carried by the others in a series, ie Betty in Mrs brown

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Betty , actress Amanda Woods is a lousy actress and get's carried by the other cast members, it was the same with 'Olive' in 'On the Buses' so what other actors, actresses can't act and get's carried by the quality of the other.

Comments

• Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A US show admittedly but the best example I can think of is Johnny Galecki (Leonard) in The Big Bang Theory. The guy's 'acting' consists of no more than constant sneering and frowning regardless of the situation, accompanied by the most irritating whining delivery. His lack of talent is even more apparent when alongside the outstanding Jim Parsons (Sheldon).
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Betty , actress Amanda Woods is a lousy actress and get's carried by the other cast members, it was the same with 'Olive' in 'On the Buses' so what other actors, actresses can't act and get's carried by the quality of the other.

A bit unfair to single out Betty! She's only in it half as much as most of the others anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit unfair to single out Betty! She's only in it half as much as most of the others anyway!

Maybe they get that she lousy at acting, she never changes the way she looks or speaks, really wooden, in 'Olive' she stumbled over her lines as well. Never seen her in EE, so not sure if she any better.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Frank Kelly (Father Jack) in Father Ted, no acting needed, he just sat in a chair shouting drink or fe** as necessary. When he was in Emmerdale his lack of acting skills was obvious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Frank Kelly (Father Jack) in Father Ted, no acting needed, he just sat in a chair shouting drink or fe** as necessary. When he was in Emmerdale his lack of acting skills was obvious.

But he had a Christmas Hit with 12 days of Christmas..
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he had a harder job than you might think. He did a perfect job as Jack!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aren't all the cast Brendan O'Carroll's friends and family? They weren't cast on ability.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Aren't all the cast Brendan O'Carroll's friends and family? They weren't cast on ability.

None of the cast are professional actors apart from Cathy and Dino, not even Brendan himself.

Then again, if they were all trained actors, it would be a totally different show with a different feel and quite unlike the current MBB
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    None of the cast are professional actors apart from Cathy and Dino, not even Brendan himself.

Then again, if they were all trained actors, it would be a totally different show with a different feel and quite unlike the current MBB

In the Live shows BOC goes off script quite a lot, and drops the other actors in it - especially Amanda and Fiona. He will just start asking random questions.

"Who was President of the United States when Queen Victoria came to the throne?"

I would imagine a Professional actor, working just for the money, would walk out pretty quickly.

Leah Remini (King of Queens, and now The Exes on TLC) is pretty abysmal, whiny delivery and a monotone.

Linda Robson - she has a talented, funny friend.
  • Options
    Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Liam off Benidorm - he was ok in his first season or so, playing a lovelorn puppy of a character. BUT the most recent season saw him transformed into a camp panto character who's only role was to pull faces as a foil to the stylist character.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he had a Christmas Hit with 12 days of Christmas..

Christmas Countdown, one of the funniest records ever.:D I recommend seeking it out on YouTube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »

I agree, but it as if she just reading the lines without any effort, the other cast members, at least seem to enjoy the show, and put a lot into it.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really don't agree there, I think Anna Karen did a fantastic job as Olive :)
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,251
    Forum Member
    it was the same with 'Olive' in 'On the Buses' so what other actors, actresses can't act and get's carried by the quality of the other.

Olive was one of the funniest characters in that series. It was the mother that was being carried, but I guess she wasn't meant to be funny.
    80sfan wrote: »
    I really don't agree there, I think Anna Karen did a fantastic job as Olive :)

She sure did. :)
  • Options
    Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree about Betty in Mrs Brown. I know a lot of them haven't done any acting before but the girl who plays Betty is particularly wooden. It's like she is just reading off a card with the same tone and delivery every time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree about Betty in Mrs Brown. I know a lot of them haven't done any acting before but the girl who plays Betty is particularly wooden. It's like she is just reading off a card with the same tone and delivery every time.
    The rest seem to enjoy the acting, even if some are not that good, but it is as if she really not interested, wonder how bad she is on the live shows and now long she on stage for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monumental poppycock. Sorry.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Olive was a brilliant character and I certainly don't think she was carried by other cast members.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Betty , actress Amanda Woods is a lousy actress and get's carried by the other cast members,

I think BOC knows this
    At one point she got subtitled in the Xmas episode
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I think BOC knows this

Wood is a very apt surname for a girl who can't act.😃
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Olive was one of the funniest characters in that series. It was the mother that was being carried, but I guess she wasn't meant to be funny.

She sure did. :)

The mother was doris hare. It says on wikipedia she turned down the role of ena sharples in coronation street.
  • Options
    peodudepeodude Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I think BOC knows this

I think that was a skit about the fuss that was caused over by that Irish guy being subtitled on Autumnwatch a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He admits it himself, but Seinfeld was a terrible actor, he did improve in later seasons but woeful overall, which stood out when surrounded by acting talent such as Jason Alexander.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peodude wrote: »
    I think that was a skit about the fuss that was caused over by that Irish guy being subtitled on Autumnwatch a couple of months ago.

It was Countryfile. I posted on here about it at the time, but the complaints only came after the repeat.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Phoenix nights