Have you ever bawled your eyes out over a cartoon/animated film?

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
I watched UP today and I swear the first half hour of this film is the saddest thing I've seen in ages.

I feel so silly crying over an animated film but it was really sad.

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grave of the Fireflies, obviously.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bawled my eyes out aged 6 when Elliott said goodbye to Pete in Pete's Dragon.
    My Mums explanation that Elliott was going to help another little boy did nothing to help the situation.
  • Jamie_PopeJamie_Pope Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I cry at the majority of Disney/Pixar movies, they all have their sad moments. The first one I remember crying at was The Lion King when Mufasa died, but I was only little then, however it still gets me to this day. Up! is especially sad, it is amazing how powerful an animated film can be. But I've cried at them all, from Snow White to Tangled, dunno why, they just all get me!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watership Down anyone? Watched it for the first time as an adult recently and it had me on the verge of tears, what I'd thought as a kid was a really sad ending is just beautiful.

that first 12 minutes of Up though, I'm with you all the way OP.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies, obviously.

Wiped me out too.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, when cowgirl was abandoned by her owner, that song... heartbreaking... I was already in my thirties when I watched TS2.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watership Down and When the Wind Blows :cry::cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, when cowgirl was abandoned by her owner, that song... heartbreaking... I was already in my thirties when I watched TS2.

When somebody loved me, everything was beautifullll.

I'm a bit of a toy story nerd, know all the words to the first two movies. The third one nearly had me in tears too when I thought all the toys were gonna die!
  • glaschelleglaschelle Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too at Up!!! I'd read reviews where they talked about the opening and what a tearjerker it was. I reckoned this was load of rubbish and no way could a cartoon reduce people to tears in the first 10 minutes!!!

2 nights later, I'm sitting in the cinema trying to wipe my tears and keep my 3D glasses on!!! Absolutely brilliant film!

I also had to wipe away a tear at Monsters Inc when Boo had to go home! (So looking forward to the new Monsters film this year!)
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Bambi

It scarred me for life
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't think of many that haven't left me in floods.

It's an age thing.:o

Toy Story 3 was the most emotionally draining film I have seen for years. Try watching that when your own children were the same age as the boy in the first film and you bought them Woody and Buzz dolls. And then watching no. 3 when they are all off to Uni.

Grave of the Fireflies
    Will never watch it as I value my peace of mind too much and having been told the story, I know I wouldn't be able to cope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Plague Dogs.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Will never watch it as I value my peace of mind too much and having been told the story, I know I wouldn't be able to cope.

It's legitimately one of the best films ever made, but it's just devastating in a way that no other film I've seen is. Disney didn't want it when it bought the rest of Studio Ghibli's films for US release, proving that it's some what out of place in this thread, but any film fan who thinks they can stand it should definitely see it. Probably the most powerful anti war film ever.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never cried during an animated film, but then again I've never cried during any film.

I really don't get all this love for Up. I'd heard all these amazing reviews of it so had high expectations, but I found it a bit "meh" to be honest!

Anyway, here's a link to a picture of a guy who looks like the old man from Up;

http://thefw.com/real-life-carl-from-up/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Loads of the Pixar movies have me welling up in places, but as Speak Softly said further up, Toy Story 3 had me (and still has me) completely bawling. The bits when the mother is packing up Andy's room to send him to college, and we've watched this kid grow up over the years, well, I have that to come so that really gets to me.

But the bit at the end, when Andy is giving his toys to the little girl, and he gets to Woody, and he's describing what a good friend he has been to him all his life, but he knows he's grown up now and doesn't need him anymore, but he still clearly loves him, WAAAAAH!!!!! Absolutely brilliantly done.

And when they watch him drive off, and Woody's "So long, buddy....." I think Toy Story 3 is the best of the 3 movies - and that's saying something because all 3 are absolutely superb.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I have...

I cried during Monsters Inc when boo had to go home (looking forward to the prequeal this year!)

Toystory3 twice once when I thought they would be burned and second at the end when Andy played with them one more time then drove off and left.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Oh my God.. I cried during Jessie's sad story in Toy Story 2, truly heartbreaking, beautiful! :cry::cry:
    And that bit when Woody is seriously thinking about going to Japan and he overhears You've Got a Friend in Me play on the TV show which reminds him of Andy :(

The incinerator scene in TS3 where all the toys are holding hands really got to me, and the beginning featuring all those flashbacks with You've Got a Friend in Me playing is now tinged with real sadness :(
    The part when Andy played with his toys one final time with Bonnie was beautiful :cry:

I welled up during the song I See the Light in Tangled - very moving :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watership Down anyone? Watched it for the first time as an adult recently and it had me on the verge of tears, what I'd thought as a kid was a really sad ending is just beautiful.

I'm a 36 year old man, and it floors me every time.

I can't even think about listening to Bright Eyes without filling up!
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bawled my eyes out..but tearful at:

Toy Story 3 (the finale when Andy gives away his toys, although the furnace scene affected me like nothing I've ever seen in the cinema).

Forrest Gump ("You died on a Saturday morning..")

The Shawshank Redemption (the hug on the beach)

Gladiator ("Go to them")

Also, I maintain that Marley and Me is a pretty awful movie, but the last five minutes...well, as a dog-lover, that got to me.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Not bawled my eyes out..but tearful at:

Toy Story 3 (the finale when Andy gives away his toys, although the furnace scene affected me like nothing I've ever seen in the cinema).

Forrest Gump ("You died on a Saturday morning..")

The Shawshank Redemption (the hug on the beach)

Gladiator ("Go to them")

Also, I maintain that Marley and Me is a pretty awful movie, but the last five minutes...well, as a dog-lover, that got to me.

Watch My Dog Skip, I defy you not to be at least tearful when the dog dies at the end, masterfully done, closest I've ever came to tears at the cinema. Forrest Gump's my favourite film, Jenny's death is truly tragic after everything she and Forrest go through together.
    As for animated films, I agree about the Toy Story films, When She Loved Me is so sad. And Toy Story 3's ending is a choker.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, how could you not! Just off the top of my head:-

Watership Down - Bright Eyes. Need I say more? This film traumatised me as a child. I've never seen it since, and will never watch it again.

Toy Story 2 - Jessie remembers her owner abandoning her with "When She Loved Me" by Sarah McLachlan playing.

Toy Story 3 - The toys realise they are gonna be destroyed and they all stand holding each other awaiting certain death.

Up - The first 15 odd minutes.

The Lion King - Mufasa dies and Simba finds him and calls for help.

Bambi - His mother is shot and killed and he calls out for her.

Dumbo - His mother is locked up and she holds him through the bars of her cage and sings to him.

Monsters Inc. - Basically the last 10 minutes of the film where Sully leaves Boo home and the very end when she sees him again.

There are plenty more I'm sure, but the longer I think about it, the more I can feel myself wanting to cry, so I'll stop there!
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dumbo always got to me .
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    The Baby Mine scene in Dumbo when his mum is locked up and she sings to him gets me every time :cry::cry:
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When somebody loved me, everything was beautifullll.

I'm a bit of a toy story nerd, know all the words to the first two movies. The third one nearly had me in tears too when I thought all the toys were gonna die!

Sang by the wonderful Sarah McLachlan. Heart breaking stuff.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fox and the Hound :(

And the Lion King, when Mufasa died - but I was only about 5 at the time!