PS3 outsells the the 360 in June

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The PS3 outsold the 360 in June. Turning of the tides, my friends.

To top if off a PS3 game is also #1 and Sony was the biggest selling publisher overall and, yes it does go on and on, for the first time in years PS3 software outside 360 software.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-topples-xbox-360-in-june/0118601

Comments

• wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Last of Us has been a huge success in the UK and has proven to be a great system seller for the PS3.

I wonder if this will reflect sales for the PS4 if consumers are buying a PS3 outright or are trading in their 360 towards a PS3.

Sony have a great software line up for the PS3 with Beyond: Two Souls and Gran Turismo 6 alongside RAIN and Puppeteer. GT 6 will be a good system seller for Sony with late adopters and software sales with the install base.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

To top if off a PS3 game is also #1 and Sony was the biggest selling publisher overall and, yes it does go on and on, for the first time in years PS3 software outside 360 software.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-topples-xbox-360-in-june/0118601

With PS3 finally overtaking Xbox 360 in global total sales with total lifetime units now standing at 78.2m vs 77.9m, despite being late to market and starting out more expensive, the future's looking pretty rosy for brand PlayStation.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the MiniDisc failure, I did think Sony may do a Sega unless its PS3 sold well, and sure enough it seems they have pulled it off. I think them having a headstart could be helpful, then again the 360 had one and look at Microsoft now, dying.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    After the MiniDisc failure, I did think Sony may do a Sega unless its PS3 sold well, and sure enough it seems they have pulled it off. I think them having a headstart could be helpful, then again the 360 had one and look at Microsoft now, dying.

Far from it. The 360 is the best selling console in the US for 22/23 months straight and Microsoft still lead the way in hardware and software in the UK (except this month with Sony's strong sales from TLoU). Microsoft will be incredibly happy how the 360 has performed as MS gained a huge chunk of marketshare from Sony. Yes, Sony have done a great job pulling back PS3 sales but have lost a lot of money and marketshare in the process.

It just sounds as if - my company is better than your company. We need Microsoft and Sony to do well for competition. Look how arrogant Sony was at the PS3 launch and the difference with the PS4.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think its people like me who have owned a 360 for past 6 years but who want to play the exclusives they have missed from the PS3 before the next generation is out.

Cheap PS3 consoles and great PS+ titles have given them a boost. I've been a diehard 360 fan but PS+ may have now swayed me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    It's not really that surprising considering 'The Last of Us' came out in June, whereas there hasn't been a "big" 360 exclusive since Halo 4 last November (Yeah i know there was Gears of War Judgement, but it didn't sell anywhere near as many copies as it's predecessors from what i read). The PS3 seems to be having a very good year (finally! before God of War Ascension back in March, the last PS3 game i bought was Uncharted 3, so that was around 18 months between my PS3 game purchases), whereas the 360 just seems to be winding down now.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow 300,000 units between them ms must be dying :s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Wow 300,000 units between them ms must be dying :s

The point is, Sony have caught up from being way behind, and that 300,000 difference is currently widening by 40,000 - 60,000 units a week.

In terms of platform holder support, Sony still have Puppeteers, Everybody's Golf, Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Until Dawn, Gran Turismo 6, Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers, Wonderbook Disney, Wonderbook Diggs Nightcrawler, Wonderbook Walking With Dinosaurs, Xi Continum and Counterspy lined up for PS3.

Meanwhile, as far as I can see Microsoft are only publishing Lococycle, Fable Anniversary and Ascend: Hand of Kul on Xbox 360. (Feel free to add any others to the list)

By the time this generation's machines are retired I think that gap will be an awful lot bigger, and when their owners are ready to upgrade there will be a clear path laid out for them. It's all just more good news for the prospects of PS4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, does any consumer actually give a shit about this?

I have an X360 and I couldn't care less what the sales figures are like for either MS or Sony. At some stage, I may or may not get a PS4 and that decision won't be based on their sales figures either.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is good news for Sony. I still remember back when it was an almost daily occurrence that someone would talk about how they were about to die or do a SEGA. They have done a remarkable recovery job with the PS3 after a rocky launch.
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

I have an X360 and I couldn't care less what the sales figures are like for either MS or Sony. At some stage, I may or may not get a PS4 and that decision won't be based on their sales figures either.

I don't care who is winning or who has sold the most, but sales figures are important as a gamer. System sales directly relate to the amount and quality of games been made on a system. Just look at the PS3, the 360 had a good lead when the PS3 launch and lot of developers put their time and effort into the 360 version of the game they made. As time has passed and the two systems became neck and neck in sales less 3rd party games were 360 exclusive and less dodgy ports appeared on PS3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This consumer does.

The higher the sales of a console, the more third parties support it and the longer it lives for.

Investing in a console that will have limited games support and potentially gets dropped quickly is not a smart move..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    This is good news for Sony. I still remember back when it was an almost daily occurrence that someone would talk about how they were about to die or do a SEGA. They have done a remarkable recovery job with the PS3 after a rocky launch.

I don't care who is winning or who has sold the most, but sales figures are important as a gamer. System sales directly relate to the amount and quality of games been made on a system. Just look at the PS3, the 360 had a good lead when the PS3 launch and lot of developers put their time and effort into the 360 version of the game they made. As time has passed and the two systems became neck and neck in sales less 3rd party games were 360 exclusive and less dodgy ports appeared on PS3.
    This consumer does.

The higher the sales of a console, the more third parties support it and the longer it lives for.

Investing in a console that will have limited games support and potentially gets dropped quickly is not a smart move..

But we're talking about well established consoles reaching the latter stages of their life. Once the PS4 and the Xbox One are released, support and interest for the current generation will naturally wane.

Because there are so many units out there already, reduced unit sales today shouldn't affect the decisions of developers, etc for the foreseeable future - I think the current generation still have a good few years in them, irrespective of the monthly sales figures, so probably no need for concern just yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On a month to month basis, no, but if something completely dominates and is then overturned it becomes big news.

Similar to sport. Take Andy Murray's win. If he was winning all the time people would have just been like 'oh he's won again' but as he hasn't been winning, now he finally did win Wimbledon everyone went ballistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a month to month basis, no, but if something completely dominates and is then overturned it becomes big news.

Similar to sport. Take Andy Murray's win. If he was winning all the time people would have just been like 'oh he's won again' but as he hasn't been winning, now he finally did win Wimbledon everyone went ballistic.

I kinda get your analogy, but a better one (for me, anyway :D) is that, because he'd been in a few finals already, it should have come as no surprise that he was going to win a slam soon.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This consumer does.

I think the average consumer doesn't care about sales figures to be honest. It's just hardcore gamers who like to claim "my willy is bigger than yours" that care.

If anyone really thinks that come the launch of the new consoles the PS3 having a few million units leads will make a bit of different on the average joe in picking a console is deluded. Gamers only care about the games and which console their friends have.

One console having a few million more units than another isn't going to cause third party developers to drop a console when each have 70+ million units sold. The same will apply to the next gen, they will both sell a truck load and developers will not drop one, it just won't happen.

Anyway this thread is hilarious. So for the first time in years the PS3 outsells the 360, probably due to the lack of decent games out right now for the 360, and suddenly everyone is declaring the PS3 is doing well. It was already doing well and so is the 360 still.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    (A)I think the average consumer doesn't care about sales figures to be honest. It's just hardcore gamers who like to claim "my willy is bigger than yours" that care.

(B)If anyone really thinks that come the launch of the new consoles the PS3 having a few million units leads will make a bit of different on the average joe in picking a console is deluded. Gamers only care about the games and which console their friends have.

(C)One console having a few million more units than another isn't going to cause third party developers to drop a console when each have 70+ million units sold. The same will apply to the next gen, they will both sell a truck load and developers will not drop one, it just won't happen.

(D)Anyway this thread is hilarious. So for the first time in years the PS3 outsells the 360, probably due to the lack of decent games out right now for the 360, and suddenly everyone is declaring the PS3 is doing well. It was already doing well and so is the 360 still.

(A) Clearly I'm not an "average" gamer then. I do care about sakes figures which give an indication of how the industry as a whole is moving. Oh, and as I own both consoles, no willy comparisons required.

(B) Nobody is suggesting that reading those figures is going to convince anybody to buy one console over another. But many consumers wont be upgrading to next-gen for a number of years and this swing from Xbox to PlayStation suggests that those that develop brand loyalty may well see PS4 as their next logical choice.

(C) Nobody said that the Xbox 360 is in danger of dropping publishers, just that sales figures in general are important to publishers supporting a format. As for both companies having a successful run next time around, nothing is ever certain.

(D) Both consoles have had a decent run, but the fact that the PS3 has taken the lead after such a troubled start is exceptional and worthy of note.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (A) Clearly I'm not an "average" gamer then. I do care about sakes figures which give an indication of how the industry as a whole is moving. Oh, and as I own both consoles, no willy comparisons required.

(B) Nobody is suggesting that reading those figures is going to convince anybody to buy one console over another. But many consumers wont be upgrading to next-gen for a number of years and this swing from Xbox to PlayStation suggests that those that develop brand loyalty may well see PS4 as their next logical choice.

(C) Nobody said that the Xbox 360 is in danger of dropping publishers, just that sales figures in general are important to publishers supporting a format. As for both companies having a successful run next time around, nothing is ever certain.

(D) Both consoles have had a decent run, but the fact that the PS3 has taken the lead after such a troubled start is exceptional and worthy of note.

All of this just reaffirms that the consumer shouldn't really or actually need to give a shit about these figures. They mean diddly-squat to gamers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with some of your points, but I'm just saying people read way to much into these figures. The main people that should care about them are the executives at Sony and MS and shareholders.

As for the "swing" well that is to be expected as the consoles drop in prices. Many 360 owners may be picking up a PS3 now to give the exclusives a go as Sony are having a good run of games right now.

Anyway, I'm happy with both consoles and don't have any loyalty to one over the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with some of your points, but I'm just saying people read way to much into these figures. The main people that should care about them are the executives at Sony and MS and shareholders.

As a PS3 owner its increasing sales have seen an increase in support and quality of titles released on the system. Anyone who owns a system should care that it is selling enough units to justify developer support, the better the sales the better the support.

Who is winning and who has the most sales is a different subject and really doesn't matter at all. PS3 and 360 both did great this generation and it doesnt matter who 'won'. What mattered (Certainly from a PS3 owners position this generation) is that it increased its sales enough to win back developers, many of who didn't take the machine seriously in its early years.

Wii U isnt setting the sales charts on fire and support is looking like it might become a problem. Would you say potential buyer of a Wii U shouldn't worry about sales figures? Because I know at the moment I would be wary of buying into that system right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a PS3 owner its increasing sales have seen an increase in support and quality of titles released on the system. Anyone who owns a system should care that it is selling enough units to justify developer support, the better the sales the better the support.

What developers only created 360 games before creating PS3 games after the sales increased?

As for quality of games improving, that normally happens later on in a console lifespan as developers now fully understand how to get the most out of the console. That and they can't just put any old crap out there now like they could at the start of a consoles lifespan when the number of games are limited to pick from and people would be more likely to pick up a poorer title than they would now in my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What developers only created 360 games before creating PS3 games after the sales increased?

As for quality of games improving, that normally happens later on in a console lifespan as developers now fully understand how to get the most out of the console. That and they can't just put any old crap out there now like they could at the start of a consoles lifespan when the number of games are limited to pick from and people would be more likely to pick up a poorer title than they would now in my view.

When I bought my PS3 the 360 had quite a lot of third party exclusive games.

As for the quality yes that happens over time, but do you honestly think that PS3 would have become the lead platform which lead to games of equal quality been released on both 360 and PS3 if PS3 sales figures hadn't increased the way they did. I think 360 would have continued to be the lead platform for many developers if the PS3 had continued to lag behind the 360 in sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I bought my PS3 the 360 had quite a lot of third party exclusive games.

As for the quality yes that happens over time, but do you honestly think that PS3 would have become the lead platform which lead to games of equal quality been released on both 360 and PS3 if PS3 sales figures hadn't increased the way they did. I think 360 would have continued to be the lead platform for many developers if the PS3 had continued to lag behind the 360 in sales.

To be honest I don't really see a difference in the quality of third party games when compared on each console. It doesn't really make a difference to the average gamer in my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I don't really see a difference in the quality of third party games when compared on each console. It doesn't really make a difference to the average gamer in my view.

It never bother me as the problems weren't as big as made out IMHO. But there was a vocal group that complained about quality with almost every third party game and websites kept pumping out comparison videos to highlight ever difference. That vocal group and comparison videos have died out as quality improved.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    To think people write of PS3 and labelled it Sonys Dreamcast, now its possibly the best console to have at the moment and with a ton of great exclusives its helped sustain that... The Last Of Us has been a huge selling game for Ps3 to and with GT 6 and Beyond Two Souls and others its only going to get better :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    To think people write of PS3 and labelled it Sonys Dreamcast, now its possibly the best console to have at the moment and with a ton of great exclusives its helped sustain that... The Last Of Us has been a huge selling game for Ps3 to and with GT 6 and Beyond Two Souls and others its only going to get better :)

Really? After like it's first year wasn't it established as a good console?