Could you handle an episode without incidental music?

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,404
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watched an episode of Buffy this evening that didn't have any incidental music whatsoever(If you like Buffy, you'll know which one I'm referring to) and it got me thinking about if an episode of Doctor Who, just one episode, could really cope without any incidental music as well?

From a personal point of view, I think not, the more music the better. As previously mentioned I love the music fast and furious to match the action. This episode of Buffy I refer to was quite a sad and emotional one and it it was appropriate it didn't have any music attached. Doctor Who is a very different type of show to Buffy but music is just as important and in several stories of Series 5, I found the music scarce and needing more, so we're halfway there already. And off course we've already had Destiny Of The Daleks which had hardly any music, that definitely needed it.

You may ask why I'm asking the question when I don't think it would work. The reason I'm asking is because several posts I've read have mentioned the music is too loud, too intrusive, etc etc, so just wondered how those people would feel with no incidental music at all. :)

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it work, no. Doctor Who isn't the type of show that could handle it. The music is probably the most important thing, the linchpin that makes it the success it is today
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I am shocked that Ting hasn't commented yet:D
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »

I had Tony in mind when I started this thread! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the episode of Buffy your talking about. I'm a hugr fan of the show. For that episode you can see the impact and the gravity of not having any intrusions, maybe as a one off it might work in DW.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BibaNova wrote: »
    I know the episode of Buffy your talking about. I'm a hugr fan of the show. For that episode you can see the impact and the gravity of not having any intrusions, maybe as a one off it might work in DW.

Well that's what I was talking about. I wasn't saying every episode should have no incidental music but just one as an experiment, to see if it would work. Thing is, the situation of that episode in Buffy is unlikely to be duplicated in Doctor Who, due to the nature of the program. It would have to be an emotive episode of some epic nature for a music-free episode to work. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately not I would say :eek: Such an idea scares me! :p

But on a serious note, for reasons mentioned previously, I don't think it would work.

DoctorQui wrote: »
    I had Tony in mind when I started this thread! :D

I was thinking the same :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's what I was talking about. I wasn't saying every episode should have no incidental music but just one as an experiment, to see if it would work. Thing is, the situation of that episode in Buffy is unlikely to be duplicated in Doctor Who, due to the nature of the program. It would have to be an emotive episode of some epic nature for a music-free episode to work. :)

It would be difficult to find a story for it to work. Perhaps a story in which all music was removed from the world or something with scary consequences? or no dialogue even,.

Such things have been touched on in Buffy but it would take a clever man to make such a story work in Doctor Who?

Is the Moff up to the challenge? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    It would be difficult to find a story for it to work. Perhaps a story in which all music was removed from the world or something with scary consequences? or no dialogue even,.

Such things have been touched on in Buffy but it would take a clever man to make such a story work in Doctor Who?

Is the Moff up to the challenge? ;)

I think an episode with no dialogue would probably work actually, but it would be seen as a rip-off of that Buffy episode.

Yes, to create a situation where you can't use music would have to be special indeed. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think an episode with no dialogue would probably work actually, but it would be seen as a rip-off of that Buffy episode.

Yes, to create a situation where you can't use music would have to be special indeed. :)

I always thought Hush might have made a good Torchwood episode in places. :)

That is a truly scary episode. One of my faves. :D

If it works, it could be a fantastic opportunity. It would either be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought Hush might have made a good Torchwood episode in places. :)

That is a truly scary episode. One of my faves. :D

If it works, it could be a fantastic opportunity. It would either be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure.

Yes, it's one of mine as well. I can't imagine you could keep Matt Smith quiet for one entire episode though!!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's one of mine as well. I can't imagine you could keep Matt Smith quiet for one entire episode though!!!! :D

At least noone could complain about his Fez ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't River Song say she killed the best man she ever knew?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least noone could complain about his Fez ;)

Well I think you can just destroy the fez without saying too much. perhaps a lack of incidental music would give it some more punch! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't River Song say she killed the best man she ever knew?

Maybe that's where a potential music-less episode would lie.....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that's where a potential music-less episode would lie.....:)

But are we then taking Doctor Who too far into soap opera territory if we base a whole episode on River and The Doctor?

Actually going further on that I wonder if we'll ever see the end to River's story as described by her in FotD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, would DW do a musical episode like Buffy acan you see Matt singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't we just knock on Joss Whedon's door and say, "ere m8, can we nick your stories for Doctor Who?"

:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I can't stand the silly music. It is far too loud and it ruins the dialogue as you can't hear a bloody word being said!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But are we then taking Doctor Who too far into soap opera territory if we base a whole episode on River and The Doctor?

Actually going further on that I wonder if we'll ever see the end to River's story as described by her in FotD.

Yes, that's true, i always thought the 80's Series came dangerously close to Soap sometimes, especially with the arguments and all.....

Back on topic, sort of, the one thing I'd hate Doctor Who to duplicate from Buffy is an all singing, dancing episode as via that monstrosity of an episode from Series 6. That would seriously have me reaching for the off button asap. :eek:

Give me an incidental music free episode anyday! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, would DW do a musical episode like Buffy acan you see Matt singing.

Read my post above........:rolleyes:
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think the music can help an episode. It's not that I don't like it there, I just don't see why it needs to drown out the dialogue.

I think an episode without music would work, though. The story is the important thing - the writing, the direction, the production quality and the acting; all these are more important than the music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's true, i always thought the 80's Series came dangerously close to Soap sometimes, especially with the arguments and all.....

Back on topic, sort of, the one thing I'd hate Doctor Who to duplicate from Buffy is an all singing, dancing episode as via that monstrosity of an episode from Series 6. That would seriously have me reaching for the off button asap. :eek:

Give me an incidental music free episode anyday! :D

There I have to disagree. I love the songs from the musical episode. It's one of the best things about a series from Buffy that was quite dark and not always in a good way. I'm not a huge fan of musicals but it worked in Buffy. If the story is rigght it could work well for Doctor Who.

Of course what also helped the Buffy music was the cast could Sing. :)
  • smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uk Gold showed Warrior's Gate a few years back, and stragely one episode (3 I think) was shown without any incidental music. It lost an awful lot of tension. Incidental music is very important to a drama such as Dr Who, it's in its own way as important as writing, acting and directing. That's not to say you couldn't produce a good episode of Who with no music whatever, but the approach would have to be very different.
  • smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand the silly music. It is far too loud and it ruins the dialogue as you can't hear a bloody word being said!

It's strange how many people say this, I have never struggled to hear the dialogue underneath the incidental music. I wonder if people have the audio settings on their TV incorrectly set?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange how many people say this, I have never struggled to hear the dialogue underneath the incidental music. I wonder if people have the audio settings on their TV incorrectly set?

I for one am hoping the DVD audio quality is better than what comes out of our TV set.