Comments

• PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember that fondly
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my speccy days well. For me, Death Wish 3 will always stick in my mind for its violence!!!! Used to buy Sinclair User? for the game reviews....If i remember right they had a mascot called Kamikazi Bear??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, wasn't it weird that turning up the tape player helped the game load?
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Also, wasn't it weird that turning up the tape player helped the game load?

LOL that's so true, I did the same on my C64 if a game wouldn't load. I just turned the C2N cassette deck upside down and it nearly always worked :D
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I love Speccy, only not as much as C64. ;) I had the 48k+ model with the hard keys, they were good for gaming, so many classic games.

Some of my favourites:

Renegade
    The Great Escape
    Elite
    3D Deathcase
    Green Beret
    Chase HQ
    Target Renegade
    Exolon
    R-Type
    Flying Shark
    Samurai Warrior
    Where Time Stood Still
    Bomb Jack
    Dark Star
    Trailblazer
    Operation Wolf
    Spy Hunter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Dizzy games were the best you could not have a spectrum back in those days without playing Dizzy.
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i had a speccy back in the day 1st game i played was Booty actually still play it today on my Fuze emulator

worth a mention

Avenger Way Of The Tiger 2
    Into The Eagles Nest
    Monty On The Run
    Head Over Heels
    Jack The Nipper
    Shao Lins Road
    Rocky Horror Show
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Was trying to show my 8 year old son who has an xbox what like the spectrum was that I had when I was a boy. I put it into youtube and it came up with a video of the game loading then the start of the game. He went and played with another toy as he was fed up waiting on it loading lol
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    I still have my ZX Spectrum computer the one with the Grey Keyboard with the in-built Tape Player - the first computer I had as a child
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ultimate games were always good, in particular Sabre Wulfm Attic Attack and Underworld. Knightmare and Alien 8 were the same game with different graphics.

Manic Miner was fantastic, Jet Set Willy could have been but was too full of bugs. I used to shoplift the anti-piracy code cards from cassette cases and flog them at school.

I was very fond of Pyjamarama.

Does anyone know of a decent and safe to download Speccy emulator? PM me if you do, as DS would probably not approve of a link on the boards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a decent and safe to download Speccy emulator? PM me if you do, as DS would probably not approve of a link on the boards.
    Depends on which platform you want to use it on PC or console 2nd post on page 1 of this thread
    has a nice link ;)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheers! Any of those you;d recommend? It's for PC usage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TBH ive never used PC versions so cant recommend any i guess you'll need to try out some till you find one
    you like :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different times, used to buy games from the Newsagents for £2.99. They were kept in one of those turning rack display things that sunglasses get displayed in now!!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I quite like Klive

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/emulators.html
  • Dave5158Dave5158 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a Spectrum and a C64. The C64 may have had better sound but one game I had took over 20 minutes to load. Later I had a Spectrum 128 which had better sound.

Anyone ever type in the program listings that used to appear in the computer mags of the'80s and '90s? Spend an evening (or more) entering the program then more evenings trying to figure where you went wrong when it would not run.
  • Rantum ScantumRantum Scantum Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Matthew Smith ever reads these forums. I do doubt it though

X
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spectrums are too long loading for my liking. Much better with an emulator.
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've still got an original Spectrum 48K, a 128 and a + 2, I started with a ZX81 and bought a Spectrum 16 as soon as it came out, and fitted the extra RAMs to make it a 48k myself.

My favourite games were Lunar Jetman and Scuba Dive, I always used to play the same albums in the background when I was playing them so even nowadays if I hear a snippet of that particular music it always reminds me of the game.

I still have a go on the online PC emulator every now and again for nostalgias sake.

BTW, the original Kempston joystick with leaf switches was wayyy better than the later microswitch ones, unfortuanately I broke mine through over-use (oo-err).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Dave5158 wrote: »
    Had a Spectrum and a C64. The C64 may have had better sound but one game I had took over 20 minutes to load. Later I had a Spectrum 128 which had better sound.

Anyone ever type in the program listings that used to appear in the computer mags of the'80s and '90s? Spend an evening (or more) entering the program then more evenings trying to figure where you went wrong when it would not run.

Don't forget the lone bedroom coder who spent a few hours a night over a number of days or weeks to knock up a good or decent game (my animations're done the same way, a lone amateur/hobbyist/enthusiast sat in front of a
    laptop computer working with absolutely no budget). sadly those days're long gone and now it's mainly about the corporate suits in the big companies calling the shots, big budgets and loads of people working on a game that takes months and has anybody noticed about how some reviewers/modern gamers (Playstation and Xbox eras) complain if they have to wait more than thirty seconds for a game to load?
    to work on
    Forum Member
    sickparrot wrote: »
    I've still got an original Spectrum 48K, a 128 and a + 2, I started with a ZX81 and bought a Spectrum 16 as soon as it came out, and fitted the extra RAMs to make it a 48k myself.

My favourite games were Lunar Jetman and Scuba Dive, I always used to play the same albums in the background when I was playing them so even nowadays if I hear a snippet of that particular music it always reminds me of the game.

I still have a go on the online PC emulator every now and again for nostalgias sake.

BTW, the original Kempston joystick with leaf switches was wayyy better than the later microswitch ones, unfortuanately I broke mine through over-use (oo-err).

Were'nt playing Daley Thompson's Decathlon were you?
    Forum Member
    i was going to have an 80s' afternoon (due to ITV's current weekend schedule planners relying on variations of the same loops every weekend). I had the themes (Ulyssese 31, Knight Rider, Street Hawk, Airworf, A-team) ready.

I suppose OCP Art Studio was one of the best on the market (considering the **** of a lenslok) at the time but I couldn't do very much with it.
  • Lost WeekendLost Weekend Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    I remember my speccy days well. For me, Death Wish 3 will always stick in my mind for its violence!!!! Used to buy Sinclair User? for the game reviews....If i remember right they had a mascot called Kamikazi Bear??

Crash was the biggest and best Spectrum mag, with it's sister Zzap!64 for the C64, happy days!
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Football Manager, Footballer of the Year, Kick Off, Emlyn Hughes' International Soccer, Matchday - football gaming was great before EA largely monopolized it all.......

There's a decent Speccy emulator on the iPad, free, and then you can pay a nominal fee for a bundle of games.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crash was the biggest and best Spectrum mag, with it's sister Zzap!64 for the C64, happy days!

Crash was a good magazine, but it was best to take it's reviews with a pinch of salt. They awarded a game called 'Blue Thunder' a Crash Smash award (ie They reckoned it was an excellent game), I rushed out and bought it, and it turned out to be utter turd, lol. There were a few instances where that happened (eg Psytron).

I bought Amtix, as well, for the first few years of my CPC 464 ownership. I also used to borrow my mate's copies of Zzap!64, and he read my Crashes and Amtixes. PCG (Personal Computer Games) was also an excellent magazine, and C & VG (Computer and video games) wasn't bad.

Btw, the best Spectrum emulator is Spectaculator, which is now shareware. The Ultimate games are in a state of denied distribution