Options

ESPN America (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    City2000City2000 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    K Hayles wrote: »
    Can you watch on-demand on the PS3 or is it only Live?

Yes, you can watch on demand with the scores off so you don't get spoilers. They also have Highlights and my personal favourite Condensed games where you can watch a game in 10 minutes.
  • Options
    TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    City2000City2000 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Two more things. Can you set it so the score is not shown? Very important to be able to do that.

What about the playoffs? Is that more money?

Watching full games the next evening is fine as most NHL games are over night in the uk.

Yes, you can turn the scores off on both the PC and PS3. One issue on the PC though from the main Gamecenter page is even with scores off when you run the mouse over the game you want to watch the winning team is highlighted until you take the pointer off it again. I watch most on demand games through the PS3 where you don't have this issue but if i'm using the PC I move the mouse underneath the game I want to watch, close my eyes, click the game, move the mouse and open my eyes again all to avoid the spoiler (I must look a bit of an idiot to anyone watching!)

Acording to people who have emailed the NHL the play-offs are included in the original price. I have seen no official confirmation of this but I think they will be included.

One slight concern I have is if GCL decides to blackout any games shown on Premier Sports. The NHL did say there would be no blackouts in the UK but that was before a TV deal was signed. Hopefully that situation hasn't changed.
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again brings into question about having a market where having more than one pay sports channel around is 'healthy competition', which at the moment seems to equate to more money being squeezed out by viewers who want to watch sports these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Not having a go or anything but how do you know premier sports is awful if you dont subscribe. I joined for the nascar and was worried but picture is fine and the channel listen to their viewers the same as setanta did back in the day. I think thats why premier will be another setanta in the fact that they get sports no one else wants so in that way its good for them i guess.

My brother in law had it for 3 months and I went and watched this and that incl Speedway and the Conference games.

Speedway was generally awful picture and I can not justify paying £1 less for 1 channel less and no HD than I currently pay ESPN, which I will be keeeping as I like NFL MLB NCAA etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setanta is not blacked out in Northern Ireland. You can subscribe for NHL.

And sorry ESPN stop with excuses, struggling broadcaster obtains the NHL rights? ESPN in my view are wanting to cover the sports aired on there family of networks in the US hence no NHL.

Getting ESPN cancelled asap!
  • Options
    The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    Again brings into question about having a market where having more than one pay sports channel around is 'healthy competition', which at the moment seems to equate to more money being squeezed out by viewers who want to watch sports these days.

hit the nail on the head there mate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    GeoffNI wrote: »

And sorry ESPN stop with excuses, struggling broadcaster obtains the NHL rights? ESPN in my view are wanting to cover the sports aired on there family of networks in the US hence no NHL.

Getting ESPN cancelled asap!

I rang Setanta today after seeing the Rangers at Canucks on the EPG for late Tuesday night on Setanta Ireland and was told NHL wasn't available in Northern Ireland. To be fair the lady I was talking to didn't seem to know to much about it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDT wrote: »
    I rang Setanta today after seeing the Rangers at Canucks on the EPG for late Tuesday night on Setanta Ireland and was told NHL wasn't available in Northern Ireland. To be fair the lady I was talking to didn't seem to know to much about it!

I be extremely surprised if that was the case. Only Barclays Premier gets blocked.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's to say they'll be either of the above?

It seems to me as if the people behind the channel have learned the lessons of what happened with Setanta UK and are quite happy to continue as a budget sports channel aimed at people interested in sports with sizeable minority following in the UK, such as fans of the Gaelic Games, Australian rugby league, South American football and now ice hockey. If they can make that work, as they have over the past two years with pretty much the same line-up until now, good luck to them.

I wonder if the people behind Premier Sports plan to repay the hundreds of millions of pounds they owe from their days running Setanta UK. I'm going to guess they do not. Must be nice to be a TV tycoon. As long as you don't have a conscience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just cancelled ESPN - will be sorry to see it go as I like both channels but once the baseball finishes then there is nothing on ESPNA for me. As for ESPN UK I might miss the luxury of the FA cup ties come January and the odd Saturday evening FAPL game but we'll see. I might come back once the baseball returns but we'll have to see.

However - Can someone record the 4th July Hot Dog eating contest for me :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NitaJez wrote: »
    My brother in law had it for 3 months and I went and watched this and that incl Speedway and the Conference games.

Speedway was generally awful picture and I can not justify paying £1 less for 1 channel less and no HD than I currently pay ESPN, which I will be keeeping as I like NFL MLB NCAA etc

In order to get the full Premier Sports experiance I'm going to replicate the full NHL season on my PS2 using NHL'93 if anyone wants to come round and watch. The PQ will be comparable - i just need to change the name of the Thrashers...
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In order to get the full Premier Sports experiance I'm going to replicate the full NHL season on my PS2 using NHL'93 if anyone wants to come round and watch. The PQ will be comparable - i just need to change the name of the Thrashers...

Not to split hairs or anything, but the Thrashers only started playing in 1999. See if you can reconfigure your NHL '93 to turn the Nordiques into the Avalanche. Then play a game, record it, and have some friends over to watch it several hours later. The NHL - Premier Sports style.
  • Options
    scurryscurry Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    What a disaster by the NHL/ESPNA, don't know what to do now. After past experiences with Setanta I'm not keen on giving them my money (also notice theres a £5 connection fee plus £2.99 per multiroom). Tempted by Gamecenter Live but would probably require a laptop upgrade!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    K Hayles wrote: »
    That is exactly what I think/ thought. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN cut their losses and scrap feed 1, intergrate MLB into ESPN UK and remove ESPNA from the UK.

ESPNA will continue in France, Germany etc with ironically NHL included :cry:

I really doubt ESPNA will stop - other tna end January and February, early March when there is only College Basketball, the rest of the year is okay and with their talk shows, and perhaps getting NHL back next year...

Anyway they will keep going in Scandinavia where there is no other ESPN so that feed 1 will still exist.

Truthfully an ESPN 2 is needed in the UK but only on Saturdays and Sundays mainly which is when ESPNA is chocker even in Jan Feb and March (College Basketball / March Madness then MLB starts).

What about all the College Football, Baseball (new agreement for over 300 games a year just signed)....
    ESPNA is here to stay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GeoffNI wrote: »

!

Doubt that especially as it looks like they will get European (excl Feed 1) NHL rights...

This seems to be the fact that they could not get Scandinavian rights...
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    This news is a real shame. I have ESPN mainly for the US sport in HD. Not a big enough Hockey fan to pay £7.99 pm to a third sports broadcaster for an inferior picture though. It was nice having MLB, NHL, College Football etc all under one roof so for general US sports fans this is a backward step. Thankfully my main interests are American Football and Baseball rather than Hockey or Basketball (and I like many of the talk shows on ESPN America) so I am sticking with ESPN.

On a side note I was in St Louis in September and at Busch Stadium to see the first of their final series against Atlanta which started the Cards remarkable come back to the play-offs. If you haven't been to a live baseball game it is a great experience. Also took in the Rams season opener in NFL. Just wanted to make you all jealous...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Two more things. Can you set it so the score is not shown? Very important to be able to do that.

What about the playoffs? Is that more money?

Watching full games the next evening is fine as most NHL games are over night in the uk.

Also get it on Ipad. Thats where we have NFL and MLB as well as ESPNA. Thinking about NHL, but will wait until February once NFL and NCAA Football is finished on ESPN and ESPNA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Got NHL Gamecenter LIVE on Samsung device!!! here is how to do it,
    Change country in smart hub by pressing ffr 289 rew
    select USA
    Download NHL Gamecenter
    Link account
    watch games in perfect HD! whoop
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »

On a side note I was in St Louis in September and at Busch Stadium to see the first of their final series against Atlanta which started the Cards remarkable come back to the play-offs. If you haven't been to a live baseball game it is a great experience. Also took in the Rams season opener in NFL. Just wanted to make you all jealous...:D

Are you a St Louis sports fan or were you just passing through (doubt it considering where it is!). What's it like. Would imagine there is not too much there? -
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess its hard for people but if you are a big fan of NHL and really support it you would sign up to premier. Thats what us nascar fans did and we were disappointed when it went on that channel esp as there is only 1 race a week for £7.99. I guess NHL fans dont want to pay that to watch their sport and would rather watch on a pc so your not loyal fans really. To me this is a bonus as i only signed for nascar but now NHL aswell its a bonus for me.
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess its hard for people but if you are a big fan of NHL and really support it you would sign up to premier. Thats what us nascar fans did and we were disappointed when it went on that channel esp as there is only 1 race a week for £7.99. I guess NHL fans dont want to pay that to watch their sport and would rather watch on a pc so your not loyal fans really. To me this is a bonus as i only signed for nascar but now NHL aswell its a bonus for me.

You're kidding, right ?

I am a big fan of NHL, that's why I signed up for GCL which costs more than £7.99 a month but what you get for your money is far far superior than the Premier Sports offering.
  • Options
    stevebluejaystevebluejay Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry mate but that is rubbish in my opinion.
    I am a massive sports fan, soccer, NFL, MLB, motor sports, golf, NHL etc etc and i pay Sky £84.50 per month for all of the sports including ESPN, Sky etc and multiroom so i can keep the rest of the family happy as well, i also watch a lot of online sports, Dutch Soccer and other stuff but it gets to the stage when you cannot afford everything.
    If you are just a nascar fan and are happy with the one channel and have little interest in other sports then that is great, but sorry that is a blinkered and simplistic view in my opinion.
    The more sports you are interested in, then the more you have to pay, that is a fact of life, but not many people have a bottomless pit of money.
    Sky sports plus ESPN is expensive, fact, but you have two choices pay it or not, see it or don't.
    I try to cover as much as i can, but am i less of an NHL fan if i cannot afford to subscribe to Premier Sports? I don't think so.
    Maybe i look at the value for money side of things and try to subscribe to what gives me the best 'bang for my buck' as the Americans say.
    I may well go for GCL as i can stream on PC, PS3 or Ipad if i can afford the monthly fee but does that make me less of an NHL fan if i don't subscribe to Premier Sports?
    One thing that does annoy me and put me off Premier Sports is the disgraceful £2.99 per room multiroom charge. The subscription should include every room in the house.

Sorry for the rant!
  • Options
    stevebluejaystevebluejay Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also to add, what constitutes a 'loyal fan', someone who subscribes to a channel even if they don't think it is good value for money just because it broadcasts a sport they are interested in?
    I have been lucky enough to visit the other side of the pond plenty of times in my life and have seen all of the teams i follow such as the 49ers, Penguins, Blue Jays etc, does that make me more loyal than others? Not really in my opinion, i have been lucky to have had the opportunity that is all.
    I actually think i have been one of the most loyal UK based NHL fans around having followed the Pens since the dark days of the early 80's when Mario Lemieux was drafted, a Harrisburg pen pal got me into them, back then there was no TV or radio coverage apart from getting the results on AFN radio and then in the later 80's ringing 0898 NHL clubcall for updates at extortionate prices.
    So what TV people choose to pay for and subscribe to or not as the case may be, shouldn't determine their loyalty to teams and sports in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got into all kinds of trouble calling those old Clubcall NHL hotline numbers and then also checking the teletext on CNN or Screensport for the results the next day.

A very disappointing day to be an NHL fan in this country, sadly I can't get Premier Sports being a Virginmedia customer so NHL will be lacking in my house unless the missus lets me upgrade my PC.