Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,038
    Forum Member
    Really is a poor signing, very backwards thinking. Drogba is a Chelsea legend, but he's also completely past it now. :(

On the brighter side at least we've managed to offload one of our perennial loanees Van Aanholt. Plenty more deadwood still to shift though.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really is a poor signing, very backwards thinking. Drogba is a Chelsea legend, but he's also completely past it now. :(

On the brighter side at least we've managed to offload one of our perennial loanees Van Aanholt. Plenty more deadwood still to shift though.

I was thinking that. You just managed to off load one over paid clapped out striker and then they bring in and even older one. It is a like a strikers retirement home but someone needs to tell torres he is too young just yet.
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am also not convinced by the Drogba deal. Seems a bit odd. Gotta wonder what it means for Lukaku and Torres. One of them has to be leaving now. I think it will be Lukaku.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Cant see it ending well if he spends a significant amount of time on the pitch. His league performances in his last season were worse than anything Torres has ever produced.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dend wrote: »
    I am also not convinced by the Drogba deal. Seems a bit odd. Gotta wonder what it means for Lukaku and Torres. One of them has to be leaving now. I think it will be Lukaku.

I think both might go. Lukaku surely won't get any playing time now Drogba's back, so he should move on for his own personal development. Ditto Fernando who Jose would never play ahead of Costa or Didi. So, I suspect both those two will leave, (I hope Torres goes back to Atletico and is a huge success) and I think a late big name striker to mix things up will also be signed yet. Wait and see....;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really surprised at the Drogba signing. I did enjoy watching him play at the bridge, but not sure if coming back is a good thing.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I may just ask,_ wasn't Drogba who Lukaku looked up to ass a youngster? (Not that he is old now, but you now what I mean!)

If so, and it is true that Drogba is also there in a coaching capacity (I am not sure of the exact details of the deal), then wouldn't Lukaku be enticed to stay to work with his idol?

Just imagine if Drogba could impart some of his knowledge and skill into his younger protégé, you could have a very good working relationship, which if done successfully, could be to your benefit in the long run.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    If Lukaku values his career, he should go.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Lukaku values his career, he should go.

But as a chelsea fan, you would surely want him to stay - dont you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torn about Drogba as his leaving was perfectly staged and it would be a shame to tarnish that. On the other hand, he could help smooth out Lukaku's rough edges. Lukaku needs to work on making space for himself and creating opportunities, rather than relying on ball to feet and outstrengthing/outpacing the defenders who are always around him as he doesn't seem to make too many runs without the ball or know how to drift into space. If Drogba could help him with that it would be very worthwhile.
    Torres will stay because no one else will pay his wages and he still manages to sell shirts for some reason.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think every Chelsea fan would welcome Drogba back, but not as a player.
    From Jose's statement, Abramovich was also keen to see Didier return, so it makes political sense for Mourinho to bring him back into the fold. With the loss of Frank and Ashley, perhaps Jose sees the benefit of having another popular iconic figure around the place ?
    From a non-playing point of view, I like the idea. People probably underestimate the value of just having someone like that around. But, as I said previously, I would have preferred my last memory of Didier in a Chelsea shirt to have been holding that CL cup aloft.
    But Mourinho is not stupid, he must know better than us what he can expect from Drogba as a player. I would expect a few cameo appearances towards the end of games, while he gradually settles in to another sort of role for the future.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of the reason is the same reason as Eto'o signing last season.

Jose knows the player inside out (and the player the manager) and won't have to spend that much time telling him what the plan is, they already have a understanding.

It also gives him more control of the dressing room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Part of the reason is the same reason as Eto'o signing last season.

Jose knows the player inside out (and the player the manager) and won't have to spend that much time telling him what the plan is, they already have a understanding.

It also gives him more control of the dressing room.

Indeed, off the field it makes perfect sence for jose. He has lost two allies in lamps and cole, and may well lose another in Cech.

For dressing room enforcement, drogba can only be a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are still rumours of Lukaku leaving. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen, not at any price Everton could afford anyway. They appear to be hopeful about signing him at around £18m. That would be just plain stupid.
    Looking around, strikers are in short supply. Unless there is some young player around known only to our scouts, most of the real talent appears to be settled, or so expensive it's not worth the gamble. If we do let Lukaku go it should be for big money, £30m+. Look at any list of potential young strikers in the world and Lukaku is still right up there, despite a poor showing in the WC. I know he's not quite ready yet, but let's not give him away..please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are still rumours of Lukaku leaving. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen, not at any price Everton could afford anyway. They appear to be hopeful about signing him at around £18m. That would be just plain stupid.
    Looking around, strikers are in short supply. Unless there is some young player around known only to our scouts, most of the real talent appears to be settled, or so expensive it's not worth the gamble. If we do let Lukaku go it should be for big money, £30m+. Look at any list of potential young strikers in the world and Lukaku is still right up there, despite a poor showing in the WC. I know he's not quite ready yet, but let's not give him away..please.

It is really his call, he can come Chelsea and learn from Drogba,Torries and Costa and work under one of the best managers around or go on loan and work hard at becoming the best he can be or he can leave and bitch and moan about not getting his chances etc at a club no where near the level of Chelsea, he has a awful long career in front of him. He got to long at it long term or as is common nowadays short term. For me his decision will say a lot about him and the type of player he will become, I have my views on what he will do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is really his call, he can come Chelsea and learn from Drogba,Torries and Costa and work under one of the best managers around or go on loan and work hard at becoming the best he can be or he can leave and bitch and moan about not getting his chances etc at a club no where near the level of Chelsea, he has a awful long career in front of him. He got to long at it long term or as is common nowadays short term. For me his decision will say a lot about him and the type of player he will become, I have my views on what he will do.

Well he said that chelsea was the team he supported, so surely he would try and win a place as our future striker when the likes of torres and drogba are gone.

Otherwise, get rid.

He has potential, but we cannot play potentials unlike other teams.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, I agree. We don't want to keep any player against their will. I just hope we get the right price if we do let him go. As I said, I don't think there's much around if we go looking for a replacement.

I've been looking on the official Chelsea site and the "We ain't got no history" forum.
    Posters there appear ecstatic about the return of Drogba. He's one of my favourite Chelsea players of all time as well, but some seem to have forgotten that he's 36 and was in decline two years ago. I wouldn't dare to go on there and say that though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I agree. We don't want to keep any player against their will. I just hope we get the right price if we do let him go. As I said, I don't think there's much around if we go looking for a replacement.

I've been looking on the official Chelsea site and the "We ain't got no history" forum.
    Posters there appear ecstatic about the return of Drogba. He's one of my favourite Chelsea players of all time as well, but some seem to have forgotten that he's 36 and was in decline two years ago. I wouldn't dare to go on there and say that though. :)

Price is not really that much of a concern to me I have to say, we have put ourselves in a good place when it comes to FFP and just like when we buy players I rather we not haggle and sit around a table for a few million quid, if he don't want to earn a chance to play for one of the top European teams (which no matter what people say he has not done yet) then wish him luck with his future endovour's.

Forums will be going overload about the return of the Drog they always do when nostalgia kicks in (in anything) but hopefully that will soon become more realistic once the first team hits it stride.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member

The WAGNH forum would be ecstatic if we re-signed Zola as a player - that place is full of idiots. A shame, as the articles are - mostly - top class. (except when about a certain player we've just sold)

Logically, I'd like to think Mourinho sees Lukaku as his second choice striker this season. Drogba can't be more than 3rd choice, and he'd 100% jump at the chance to get shot of Torres (regardless of what he says publicly.) The problem, as I see it, is Lukaku's inability to keep his mouth shut.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have to look at this from Lukaku point of view tho. He has done everything the club has asked him to do. He has gone out of loan, been one of the best strikers in the league but still is not consider good enough to play for an often mis-firing Chelsea that looked as if it was crying out for some real pace up front.

To bring back Drogba is a slap in his face again. To bring in ETO last season in place of him finally when it looks like he has a chance of making the squad they bring back Drogba. It just smacks of Jose thinking Lukaku is not good enough if I was him I would thank the club for their support but look to move on. Jose does seem to have something against Lukaku playing for him so both sides should just move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    Sadly, I think you're right. It's hard to see what more Lukaku could have done.
    He came to Chelsea after scoring 41 goals in 98 games for Anderlecht as a 17/18 year old. He was loaned out to West Brom, still only 19 years old, and scored 17 goals in 35 appearances. The next season, after it was obvious he was going to be ignored, he went on loan to Everton where he scored 15 goals in 31 appearances. That's a total of 32 goals against Premiership defences in two seasons, the same defences Torres & Eto'o were struggling against.
    He's still only 21, but he's been a full international for a few seasons. Lukaku is an intelligent guy, he speaks 4/5 languages and continued with his studies despite all the acclaim he was getting in Belgium from a young age. He genuinely loved Chelsea (or at least he did) there's a recording of him talking in a documentary two years before he joined us. He visited Stamford Bridge with his school and said.."if one day I play here, I will cry, I love Chelsea".

Surely it's time for Jose's famous man-management skills to work their magic ? Put an arm around him and make him feel wanted. Then give him a season, what have we got to lose ? He'll still be worth £20m+ this time next year and at least we'll have the satisfaction of knowing we tried. Even looking at the cold logic of our current situation we need him. What happens if Costa gets injured or suspended..Torres (yet again) or Drogba (really ?)
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,038
    Forum Member
    ^ 100% agree. I can't understand why anyone thinks it's too big a risk to have him playing for us at this stage. Considering the poor showing from the strikers we've had playing for us these last couple of seasons he can't possibly do any worse. Not to mention that if we don't bring him into the team soon he'll leave anyway (if it's not already too late). As you say, we need to at least try.

Costa needs decent competition too, not the luxury of knowing his place in the team is as good as assured because of us only having Torres and an ageing Drogba in reserve.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously Moro knows best, hope his boast that well win the PL wont come back to haunt him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is only 21 and even if we loaned him out for another two season's he could be our number one striker for 10 years without a problem. For me it's still he has still not learned how to cope with the pressure of the big games, yes has done well while playing with teams like Everton but there is nothing really on those games. The last few loans have got him "premiership" ready now he need to learn how to cope with the pressure of big club football (and how to win stuff) that's why I would rather we loaned him out to a club in the Europa League (and one expected to do well in it). For me it's all about education he has the talent but has to learn how to use it, we don't have time to teach him sadly due to the pressures from the board and the need for us to finish as strong as possible. We don't have room to "give a player a chance" at the moment two or three years down the line and we find our self's here again with another player then hopefully we will be in a place to do that. Jose came in last season to a club in a mess both in the dressing room on the pitch in the board room and and smell in the ground which was as bad as it's been since good knows when. The time before he came to us he walked into a team that had come second in the league and a team that was good enough to win the Champions League but this time he walked into a team that had been mucking about in the Europa Cup and the season before did not even come in the top 4. He still has a lot of work on his hands and for me there are more important jobs needing his attention.

Yes he has been on loan but we have not just loaned him out to any Tom Dick or Harry, he still getting picked for international football and would have to admit after each loan he has become a more rounded player, he has learned something from each experience. I don't think he should be thinking 2 years down the line I think he should be thinking 5 or 6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    Yes, but I would argue that he's done all that already. Starting at Anderlecht, who are not exactlly a "Micky Mouse" club, it was a decent standard. Then on to WBA who were a struggling PL side, and finally to Everton who have managed to become a regular top six outfit.
    His next logical move (even if he wasn't a Chelsea player) would be to a club like ourselves..if he's good enough. I think where we differ is in how we see his development. Although Lukaku is still only 21, he was an early developer. That probably has a lot to do with his size and strength at such a young age, he was playing against men at 16 years old.
    I agree he's not yet the finished article, but he's already played a hell of a lot of football at the top level (top UK level anyway)
    I know some (on other sites) were suggesting he should be have been our number one striker last season. I'm not saying that. But I do think his learning curve should now continue with us, on a level footing with Torres as our number 2. I believe he's close to the stage where we have to decide that he's either good enough or he's not. Perhaps Jose has decided that already, but given our options if Costa is injured or needs a rest, I'd like to see Lukaku on the bench.