Options

Is it politically correct to refer to someone as Oriental?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    It's only offensive if used as rhyming slang for 'mental'. :D

Actually I agree with the people who say it's frowned upon in the US, but not here in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good lord! Do people just go looking for it? Why is everyone terrified of speaking English? Yes Oriental is fine to say. There are no negative connotations to this word. It simply means from the Orient (an area covering East Asia). Do you not realise that this madness will only stop when you all stop being terrified of offending people? And who are you usually offending? White middle class do-gooders!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Which posters did you think were terrified of saying oriental?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is not. Alot of asian people can get really offended if called oriental. A rug is oriental, food is oriental, people aren't.

Nonsense. Oriental means from or of the east. How can it be offensive to anyone to be referred to by that? I am an occidental btw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    The sooner people realise the following, the better -

When you say something innocently and someone takes offence, the person who is offended is almost always the one with the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which posters did you think were terrified of saying oriental?

Well it obviously worried the OP :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a famous ferry firm known as P & O.

If Oriental was offensive it would be called P & A
  • Options
    MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    I love the word Oriental, as it sounds rather sexy to me. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it didn't. The OP said he wasn't bothered, and put a smiley at the end. He was just asking a question.

Are all the other questions asked on here from 'terrified' people?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends how it's used. it is a touch victorian, but when rex said it it's obvious he wasn't meaning any offence, so in that context i think it's quite acceptable :)
  • Options
    codacoda Posts: 5,337
    Forum Member
    I've just rung Jim Davidson and he said it was ****ing fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I am an American who moved to the UK two years ago. I am also half-Japanese, and use both "Asian" and "Oriental" to describe myself - no one ever told ME it was wrong to use "Oriental" and I don't find it offensive in the slightest, and people in the US would use the word "Oriental" as well. (wow, the word itself becomes really strange when written so many times though :) ) So if it is wrong, oops, guess I should offended at myself then. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coda wrote: »

Best answer yet :D
  • Options
    mixed boymixed boy Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well the thing is that thy are all asian so i dont get why you cant just call them asian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luiniel wrote: »
    I am an American who moved to the UK two years ago. I am also half-Japanese, and use both "Asian" and "Oriental" to describe myself - no one ever told ME it was wrong to use "Oriental" and I don't find it offensive in the slightest, and people in the US would use the word "Oriental" as well. (wow, the word itself becomes really strange when written so many times though :) ) So if it is wrong, oops, guess I should offended at myself then. :)

lol:D i hope you're thoroughly disgraced, offending yourself like that! are you going to apologise to yourself then?? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it didn't. The OP said he wasn't bothered, and put a smiley at the end. He was just asking a question.

Are all the other questions asked on here from 'terrified' people?

The mere fact that people feel the need to discuss whether it is "politically correct", and even going so far as to say that it is offensive in other countries but they're not sure in England shows concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mixed boy wrote: »
    well the thing is that thy are all asian so i dont get why you cant just call them asian.

it's weird, in america 'asian' means people from east asia, i.e the orient - but not prople from south asia etc

but yea, i don't see why people from asia aren't just referred to as asian - it makes a strange kind of sense, like calling people from europe 'european', or people from africa 'african' - funny how it all seems to fit together like that! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    coda wrote: »

Ha ha, velly crever... oh, whoops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mere fact that people feel the need to discuss whether it is "politically correct", and even going so far as to say that it is offensive in other countries but they're not sure in England shows concern.

No it doesn't. It's just a chat about a word fgs. Loads of words get analysed when used on BB. Nobody so far has said they're terrified or even concerned about using it.

According to wiki, it is considered offensive by some in the US but not here. What is the problem with saying that, and discussing it?

I think it's a valid and interesting question. What a shame it gets turned into a yawn inducing 'PC' debate.
  • Options
    Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are many different words used to descibe simlar things, and none of them need be deemed offensive.
    I am white, caucasian, occidental, european... etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,842
    Forum Member

Because there are occasions where you need to be more specific than just saying "Asian", as Asia covers a wide area, and has many different peoples in it.

On other occasions, though, you're right, the word "Asian" will do, although in this country, that carries much more a meaning of being from the Indian sub-continent than China, Korea, Japan etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's weird, in america 'asian' means people from east asia, i.e the orient - but not prople from south asia etc

but yea, i don't see why people from asia aren't just referred to as asian - it makes a strange kind of sense, like calling people from europe 'european', or people from africa 'african' - funny how it all seems to fit together like that! :D

I have never understoof that either, I have been to america several times myself. all should be called asian no matter whether they are indian or chinese. thats like saying somalis are not african but nigerian are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member

Not at all...
    I use the term Oriental and don't see a problem with it.
    The reason for my post was to see what other people thought, I know its frowned upon in Australia, and now, I have learnt, through this thread, also in the US.

Personally I don't find it offensive, was just gauging opinion.
    :D
  • Options
    may91may91 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i hear 'asian' i think of indian/pakistani etc.
    'oriental' to me is chinese/japanese/thai.

So yeah, it's fine imo - more specific than 'asian'

Yeah I think that too
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Kat did not seem to have any problem with it, so why turn it into one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zankoku87 wrote: »
    Because there are occasions where you need to be more specific than just saying "Asian", as Asia covers a wide area, and has many different peoples in it.

On other occasions, though, you're right, the word "Asian" will do, although in this country, that carries much more a meaning of being from the Indian sub-continent than China, Korea, Japan etc.

ye but the thing is that both somalis and nigerians ar african but very different but they still call them and consider them african.