Games that make you feel sick?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
Anybody else get this?

Just started playing Dead Island: Riptide and I can't play it for more than about an hour without getting a headache and starting to feel sick.

I haven't played a lot of games recently but I could happily play Far Cry 3 for hours (and hours, and hours) without any problems.
It just seems like, once in a while, a game comes along and there's something about it that makes me nauseous.

Worst I'd ever got it, previously, was with the LucasArts Jedi Knight games but Riptide seems even worse.

I can't really put my finger on what causes it but I think it might be something to do with the field-of-view or the perspective.
It all just feels a bit "narrow", somehow; like I'm playing the game with blinkers on, or looking through the middle of a loo roll.

Anybody else get this, or know how to cure it?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    See a Doctor.
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, mainly first person shooters. I think it's the camera sweeping from side to side that does it. Resident Evil 5 was nauseating as well.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dead island isnt the greatest
  • samtmansamtman Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If playing on a PC is there no options to increase your field of vision(fov) or motion blur they usually help. It was mentioned in the Kotaku review that it made the reviewer feel sick too so your not on your own with this game.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt pretty sick after splashing out on black ops 2, to find it crap.
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the narrow FOV. This reviewer plays bloody hell about it making him nauseous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBpn2DDYtoc

4:40 in video.
  • Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know it's not what you're asking but on fallout 3 i started to hide all the bodies away because they made me feel a bit sick every time i went past them.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time i get motion sickness is from San Andreas on PC, I can only play it for about an hour before I start to get woozy (no pun intended)
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portal 2
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly FPS for me as well. Noticed it playing the first Turok game on the N64,clambering up the vine walls etc.
    Now most First Person Shooters are a problem. Saves a lot of money not buying them when at one time every other game release seemed to be one.
  • samtmansamtman Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never suffered from motion sickness in any games before I posted in this thread. Just played unfinished swan for about 30 mins and got it for the first time ever. Don't think ill go back to that game again.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    I found that it depended on how literally dark the game was. I remember one of the early Alien games really made me feel off and I decided it was permanently staring into the stygian gloom to see what was coming that was causing it. Now I always raise the gamma to make sure everything's clear and visible (which I know ruins some of the suspense and anticipation) but I much prefer a little loss of atmosphere to feeling nauseous.

Regards

Mark
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Bioshock infinite made me feel slightly queasy when on the mono rail parts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Some FPS cause it, usually ones with rapid aiming. The ones I normally play have heavy movement and a few have camera in a bounding box rather than locked.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All FPS games for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got that funny feeling in my balls going up radio towers in Far Cry 3 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    All FPS games for me.

I find it but I don't get the issue with Killzone games as they are slower turning speed
  • LackadaisicalLackadaisical Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Little big planet.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half Life 2 was my worst for this, only seems to be some FPS, combination of realism/ low framerates. Though, if it has camera bob you can't turn off then it will definitely make feel ill. To combat it the best thing was not too play in the dark, I also used those sea-band things for motion sickness, which worked but felt kind of odd to have to use to play a game.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half Life made me feel nauseous all the time, I couldn't play it for too long, and that was back in the day when I didn't have the internet to help me change the FOV (if that was even possible in the original Half Life).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    For years I wasn't able to play FPS because of sickness. Then when my son wanted me to start playing co-op with him I tried again and still had the same sick feeling and had to stop after 10mins.

I then read somewhere that taking a tablet of root ginger (from health food shop) would help. Tried it and it really does work for me. Can spend a good few hours now playing and no sick feeling! Happy Dad and Happy Son :)
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I got motion sickness when playing a videogame was Doom on the original playstation ... Think it was the bad framerate that contributed tbh ... No a very nice sensation! :(

(Have any of u guyz tried travel sickness tablets that could possibly help) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is a game that is really bright colours and circles, that makes me feel sickly, i cant remember ythe name
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    premixxed wrote: »
    It's the narrow FOV. This reviewer plays bloody hell about it making him nauseous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBpn2DDYtoc

4:40 in video.

Nice to know it's not just me.

When you're playing you don't really notice it until you, erm, actually notice it.

When he showed that comparison between the standard 60° FOV and the modified 90° FOV it was like a breath of fresh air.

I couldn't even watch that video for more than about 10 minutes without starting to feel sick.
    I had another go of the game last night and I could barely manage 15 minutes. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pmsl at the thread and how soft we all are