OWN - Oprah Winfrey Network!!!???

TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that I have mentioned this before in the past, but in 5 days time Oprah Winfreys new Cable network Channel, OWN, launches in the USA, and I was wondering if anyone knows any inside information as to whether this channel will be available over here anytime soon!!:D:D:D

I really hope so, as, from what I have seen online, theres some awesome shows lined up for broadcasting on it!!!

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oprah really isnt the ratings & commercail power house over here, that she is in the US, so I wouldnt bet on it.

Her show just has not caught the British publics attention, possibly because its been on Pay TV for most of its run, or its just not the kind of show that does well over here.

Orpah may have started from nothing, and have acheieved ALOT, but her name means little over here.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well her show used to be on various cable and satelite channels which were on ALL cable/satelite providers platforms, but now her shows been shoved onto DivaTV, which is only available on either Virgin Media or satelite and not on Freeview or other terrestial TV platforms!! So, no wonder her popularity has declined here!!!

Also, I think its because over here we have been brainwashed into watching such Brit talk show hosts such as Trisha Goddard and Jeremy Kyle and having them rammed down our throats that we have all but forgotten Oprah!!!

It was the same with Tyra Banks!! Her show only lasted the first season when it first started in the USA and was shown over here!!! Tyras show is still going strong over there!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, OWN even has our Fergie, Sarah Ferguson doing a talk show, so that must hold something for OWN coming over here!!!:eek::eek::eek:
  • davies88davies88 Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Orpah may have started from nothing, and have acheieved ALOT, but her name means little over here.

Alot as in what? A chatshow? Wow!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Ricki Lake has had some success over here, I recall her airing on C4, then Channel 5, then ITV 2, but since then I dont know what happend to her, not even Jerry Springer has been able to keep a firm grasp on the UK TV market, possibly due to the cuts in his show over here, however he does currently air on Channel 1. (or has aired on Vrigin 1, for little that is worth now)

Any example of a US talk show ive seen has failed, The Ellen Degenress Show used to be on FiveLife, but again got axed, they just dont last.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davies88 wrote: »
    Alot as in what? A chatshow? Wow!
    Oprah has a massive infulence on US culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah#.27The_Oprah_Effect.27
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellen Degeneres is now shown on DivaTV!!!:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Ellen Degeneres is now shown on DivaTV!!!:D:D:D
    having looked on Barb, she airs to 15,000 viewers, and is the channel No1 show.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyTopProgrammes

Oprah airing to 6,000 viewers.

Diva TV is not much of a TV channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, she was even one of the endorsees for Barack Obama!! She has opened a girls school in South Africa and even counts Nelson Mandela as one of her closest friends!! Shes a multi-billionaire!!! She has her own Magazine, O Magazine, which is sold worldwide!! During the past few weeks of her Farewell Season she has given away millions of dollars worth of items, called Her Favourite Things, to audience members, treated her first audience(who were her 300 most loyal audience and TV viewers) of her farewell season, to a return 10-day trip to Australia with the plane being piloted by John Travolta no less on Quantas(It was all arranged and paid for between her and the Australian Government). She actually broadcast her show live to the US from Austraila with a host of famous Australian people, like Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, etc as guests!!!

She has championed and campaigned for many worthwhile causes and charities over the years!!

What has all our pathetic talk show hosts done in all their miserable lives???? **** ALL compared to Oprah!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

She has even changed the lives of so many people in so many ways in many facets of life!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having looked on Barb, she airs to 15,000 viewers, and is the channel No1 show.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyTopProgrammes

Oprah airing to 6,000 viewers.

Diva TV is not much of a TV channel.

That I agree!!

If those shows were on other channels I am sure they would all have far more thousands of viewers than they do on Diva!!!!

I am surprised that DivaTV is still going to be perfectly honest!!!!:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has all our pathetic talk show hosts done in all their miserable lives???? **** ALL compared to Oprah!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Its a fair question, but no one has a right to be succesful in the UK market.

Richard & Judy were a strong brand in the UK, and I dare say have kept Oprah and the other US shows out of the UK market, or at least on small unimportant channels like Diva TV. Even Trisha was a well known name in UK daytime.
    The thing is, OWN even has our Fergie, Sarah Ferguson doing a talk show, so that must hold something for OWN coming over here!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    if the Sarah Ferguson talk show was up to anything it would get bought by a UK TV channel, Oprah having to set up OWN UK to air OWN programs, is almost like admitting they are a failure in the UK market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Charnham!!!

You are so right!! A case in point is Hugh Laurie!! If he had stayed over here in this hellhole he would still be a B-Listed comedian(as every comedian over here is, by the way), but he went over to the USA and now, look where he is!! HUGELY successful in the medical drama House and he is even one of Americas hottest sex symbols, plus the fact he has won countless Emmies and Golden Globe Awards!!! The same with Craig Ferguson and hundreds of other British entertainers, who decided to try their luck in the USA and succeeded!!!!

Even David Beckham is more popular over there now than he is here!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Also thats the trouble, we have marketed our own pathetic chatshow hosts, who havent got an ounce of talent or professionalism, more than concentrated on far more superior talk show hosts like Oprah!!!!:mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think the focus on UK personalitys is a bad thing, TV would be worse if we all the main channels did was import shows.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Charnham!!!

You are so right!! A case in point is Hugh Laurie!! If he had stayed over here in this hellhole he would still be a B-Listed comedian(as every comedian over here is, by the way), but he went over to the USA and now, look where he is!! HUGELY successful in the medical drama House and he is even one of Americas hottest sex symbols, plus the fact he has won countless Emmies and Golden Globe Awards!!! The same with Craig Ferguson and hundreds of other British entertainers, who decided to try their luck in the USA and succeeded!!!!

Even David Beckham is more popular over there now than he is here!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Also thats the trouble, we have marketed our own pathetic chatshow hosts, who havent got an ounce of talent or professionalism, more than concentrated on far more superior talk show hosts like Oprah!!!!:mad::mad:

No he isn't. David Beckham is known of over there, but has not had huge success. When he moved there, it was hoped he would bring Soccer to the forefront of American Sport, but his time with LA Galaxy is thought of as a huge flop by most commentators.
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like Martha Stewart before she got done for tax evasion:D:D Opera is also walking that fine line.:eek:

Just some of the quotes from Katharine Esters from family and friends which appear in her book.

Some of Winfrey’s nearest and dearest have turned on her, with her elder cousin claiming the TV host made up her ‘life of adversity’ in rural Mississippi to sway public opinion.
    Katharine Esters, 81, tells ‘poison pen’ biographer Kitty Kelley that Winfrey was actually a ‘spoiled’ child in the new unauthorised book simply titled: Oprah.

Oprah has also been involved in criminal activity including online fraud and theft.

‘Where Oprah got that nonsense about growing up in filth and roaches I have no idea,’ says Esters.

Winfrey once claimed she never had new dresses and made do playing with cockroaches that she named Melinda and Sandy.

Esters tells the author: ‘I confronted her and asked, ‘‘Why do you tell such lies?’’. Oprah told me, ‘That’s what people want to hear. The truth is boring’’.’

Esters insists she knows the true identity of Oprah’s biological father, despite the 56-year-old star claiming she does not know who he is.

Esters says it is down to Oprah’s mother, Vernita Lee, to tell her his name.

She said: ‘You’ll know when that happens because Oprah will probably have a show called Finding Your Real Father. As I said, the girl wastes nothing.’

Other allegations aimed at Oprah in the book are that she is ‘asexual’ and does charity work purely to boost her profile.

Kelley also claims she paid an ex-boyfriend hush money to keep quiet about her gay brother who has aids

Taken from various internet sources
  • Digi DanDigi Dan Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, even the British Monarchy are more popular aborad than here...
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    The UK are more likely to get KPN, CCN or KKN

(Katie Price, Cheryl Cole or Kerry Katona networks)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    No he isn't. David Beckham is known of over there, but has not had huge success. When he moved there, it was hoped he would bring Soccer to the forefront of American Sport, but his time with LA Galaxy is thought of as a huge flop by most commentators.

David Beckham IS more popular over in the USA than here now!! He is constantly on talk shows over there(hes done a round of talk shows just recently), his perfumes and colognes, along with his wifes', sell like hot cakes!! He is deemed one of the most sexiest men alive in certain publications and opinion polls in the USA!! He models underwear and the ads are splashed all over huge billboards in cities!!!

If you want my opinion, the Beckhams did the right thing by moving over to LA!!!:D:D:D

Also he is now being offered film and TV scripts, so maybe thats where he will eventually end up as football(soccer) doesnt last forever!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Beckham may have a profile in the US, but Football hasnt, I dont see a massive surge of interest in the MLS. Im pretty sure Beckham is msot famous for watching Laker Girls court side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Football(soccer) is gaining more and more ground over there now as its even a huge part of schools' curriculum now, with even girls playing it!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Football(soccer) is gaining more and more ground over there now as its even a huge part of schools' curriculum now, with even girls playing it!!!
    in that case I look forward to see the US Ladies team in the Womens World Cup at 2am on Sky Sports 7.

Soccer being played by girls is not going to helo the MLS or the game at large.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most famous female soccer players in the USA is Mia Hamm!!!

http://www.womensoccer.com/biogs/hamm.html

http://miafoundation.org/
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    it was hoped he would bring Soccer to the forefront of American Sport,

Not by Beckham himself though. When he signed for Galaxy the manager of Real Madrid at the time wasnt playing him and the England manager had made it clear Beckham was no longer in his plans, so Becks agreed to move to America to wind his career down, make a huge amount of money and so his wife could start ventures in LA.

Of course after agreeing the move he came back in favour at Real, the England manager did an about turn because he was buggering it all up and Beckham's star rose again. Had he waited before signing for Galaxy, I am sure he would in the end have never gone, he could have easily walked to another big European Club at the end of his Real contract if deciding not to stay there.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,933
    Forum Member
    I agree, she was even one of the endorsees for Barack Obama!! She has opened a girls school in South Africa and even counts Nelson Mandela as one of her closest friends!! Shes a multi-billionaire!!! She has her own Magazine, O Magazine, which is sold worldwide!! During the past few weeks of her Farewell Season she has given away millions of dollars worth of items, called Her Favourite Things, to audience members, treated her first audience(who were her 300 most loyal audience and TV viewers) of her farewell season, to a return 10-day trip to Australia with the plane being piloted by John Travolta no less on Quantas(It was all arranged and paid for between her and the Australian Government). She actually broadcast her show live to the US from Austraila with a host of famous Australian people, like Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, etc as guests!!!

She has championed and campaigned for many worthwhile causes and charities over the years!!

She has even changed the lives of so many people in so many ways in many facets of life!!!!

A reported $6m was paid by the Australian Tourist Board to do a show at the Sydney 'Oprah' House. Therefore it is likely those Australians present were paid to be there.

Granted it made the news, but more fool channels like the BBC falling for the publicity.

Pay me $6m and I'd even be prepared to say Cheryl Cole is the nation's sweetheart. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the most famous female soccer players in the USA is Mia Hamm!!!

http://www.womensoccer.com/biogs/hamm.html

http://miafoundation.org/
    ok, but im not sure how she is going to help grow the US Mens Game, which is what the MLS is, unless the MLS do the almost unthinkable and let girls play in the teams.