Options

FIFA To Ban England from Wearing Poppy on their shirts for game with Spain next week

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    SoulpuncherSoulpuncher Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Saw something on tv this morning regarding the veterens of the Artic Convoys of WWII. It seems they have been fighting for years to have a campaign medal for their role in the war, and been refused. It struck me that not once have I heard of any media led campaign, suppported by Cameron or Prince William to support these men. However, not allowing spoilt multi-millionaires to wear a poppy on a football shirt brings them all out of the woodwork

In Russia these veterns are treated as heroes and have been awarded medals by Soviet and Russian Governments, here they are told they can wear a badge to signify the hell they went through.

Puts the farce of Fabio and the boys being refused the right to stitch a poppy next to the three lions into some sort of perspective.

David Cameron did:
    Speaking in January, Prime Minister David Cameron, said the veterans should get medals and the issue was referred to the Ministry of Defence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They want to get out? Oh as opposed to those wars where the soldiers don't want to leave and want to get up every day and get shot at? What wars were they again............

The Taliban or al-Qaeda come out of their hole they get bombed by predator drones. If they can get Osama and al-Awlaki how hard is it going to be to kill 5 guys in a Toyota pick up?

But but but I thought the plan was to rid Afganistan of the Taliban, now we find out that the Allies have been engaged in talks with them,that must realy mess up your tiny little brain :D
    Anyway got any good war stories to tell me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick 1 wrote: »
    But but but I thought the plan was to rid Afganistan of the Taliban, now we find out that the Allies have been engaged in talks with them,that must mess up your tiny little brain :D

They have been chased to their caves, if they want to come back out and change their ways it will be on our terms. If they want to get involved in democracy then so be it, if not then they will be severely dealt with. We did it for the IRA. Give it a rest or pay the consequences.

It brings a tear to your eye when you think of it.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have been chased to their caves, if they want to come back out and change their ways it will be on our terms. If they want to get involved in democracy then so be it, if not then they will be severely dealt with. We did it for the IRA. Give it a rest or pay the consequences.

You do realise that the Taliban are the side that's winning? why would they agree to "our" terms?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sit and wait,that's all they have to do,play the long game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    You do realise that the Taliban are the side that's winning? why would they agree to "our" terms?

Winning? Are you sure about that? They were in Government in 2001, who is there now? A rough estimate of 30,000 Taliban killed in Afghanistan maybe 17,000 in Pakistan?

Killing Osama and other top boys in al-Qaeda shows them that there is no hole deep enough for anyone to hide in. If they don't stop what they are doing they will be found and they will be slaughtered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sit and wait,that's all they have to do,play the long game.

They will find airing their grievances in a parliament will be more beneficial than having to look over their shoulders for predator drones. Look at the Arab Spring, people don't want draconian thugs like the Taliban telling them what to do any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is :D,how did we go from discussing FIFA's ban on England wearing a poppy on their shirts to the political situation in Afganistan??? Anyway laters :)
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    We've seen the work of the media this week, lets see what happens now in January hey... Someone will possibly go from Lord God Saviour to the English football team, to Person non grata. Lets see how they deal with that, then lets see people defend the media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the poppy look smart on the England shirts....I mean armbands :p
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the poppy look smart on the England shirts....I mean armbands :p

Yeah, before they fell off....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The World and European champions humbled by the under strength underdogs. Some might think that Lampard goal won the game, but I'd like to think the sheer respect, pride and determination at doing the right thing pushed that ball over the line to cement a remarkable victory.

I feel a chorus of the national anthem coming on.