Options

David Bowie - Five Years (BBC2) Sat. 9.20pm

13»

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he came back. Have you heard The Buddha of Suburbia, which he considers one of his best albums, Earthling, Hours, Heathen etc?

Was playing Buddha of Surburbia today forgot how good it was
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    Not enough folk that were in Hollyoaks were on the programme. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's 'it' the profile of DS.
    I thought the thread would/could have spun out into an interesting and wide ranging discussion about Bowie.
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I was born in 1969 so too young for early Bowie but obviously he was still going when I hit my teens and really started to appreciate music seriously.

My eldest brother would have been about 18 at the Ziggy Stardust period and he was into the whole glam rock thing.

I was looking through an old box of his vinyl one day and came across a single he'd bought second hand and the original owner had written "Track name" (can't remember now what it was) by King Bowie. :cool:

Don't know if that was a general nickname for him but it kinda struck a chord with me and I've been a fan ever since.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last Sunday I went to see the David Bowie exhibition at the V&A,it's fabulous,the fact that loads of his stage costumes have been saved, some poster mentioned earlier how slim he was, Not slim but skinny:eek: Great exhibition though.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last Sunday I went to see the David Bowie exhibition at the V&A,it's fabulous,the fact that loads of his stage costumes have been saved, some poster mentioned earlier how slim he was, Not slim but skinny:eek: Great exhibition though.

Just back from that he was not only skinny but going by the outfits shorter than I remember
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I;ve been trying to get into his music for ages, but it does not transcend with me, and i love nearly anything because my cd collection is so mixed match. But i really admire and respect his legacy though. :)
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Just back from that he was not only skinny but going by the outfits shorter than I remember

Yes true,I just loved the atmosphere moving round to different parts of the exhibition and the music (with those sensor things) go with you.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Just watched this, really well done, apart from John 'Who?' Harris's unnecessary contributions. There must be loads of old unseen footage out there. Loved Rick Wakeman's comment about his 'Life on Mars' piano part - "I must go home and learn it".
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie never had a great voice, but sang some fairly memorable songs, but I found him no better than a lot of his contemporaries.
    I dunno if he saw himself as a latter-day Stephen Tennant, with his different styles of make-up and costumes.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie never had a great voice, but sang some fairly memorable songs, but I found him no better than a lot of his contemporaries.
    I dunno if he saw himself as a latter-day Stephen Tennant, with his different styles of make-up and costumes.

The one thing I do like about Bowie is his voice. His continual change of image was a bit too much for me.