Options

Twice now will.i.am has said "It's not just about the voice"

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    The blind auditions are where "The Voice" comes into its own - once past that, everything else comes into play.

Everyone we see on the show is a good singer, weeded out by the producers in the early stages, so they all have "A Voice", its a case of the coaches finding the ones they can work with and bring on, and yes, their looks and performance ability will come into it as well.

IMHO, Tom is the coach who concentrates on the voice aspect more than the others do, Will is a showman and looks for performance as well, and John put his heart and soul into the battle, didnt bitch about the song choice - just got on with it, and gave the better performance.

Will seems to have thought more about his pairings than some of the others...... He is the only one who didnt say he was an idiot for putting certain pairs together, and his bit of strategy with Matt worked.

Once he has his final three, I can't wait to see what he does with them..... He seems to be a very hands on mentor to them, even when in the US....
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    They did last year -- all the time --- but noticeably it hasn't been said once this year and the show is all the better for it

It loses its USP though doesn't it if it was being marketed as being very different from The X Factor?

This year it seems as if they are saying it's very different from The X Factor, until after the blind audition rounds where from then on it's very similar to The X Factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When mediocre singers are being through at the expense of great ones. When we see a muppet act like Jedward jumping up and down on stage, THEN you can say The Voice is like The X Factor,
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acts on The Voice seems stronger than X Factor as in it has a higher standard. Each coach on The Voice is looking for something different. Will.I.Am seems to be going for something different that will make you stand out along with the voice.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting you can't be a Voice fan and an X Factor fan (or Corrie/EastEnders for that matter). I watch both after all. I liked most of singing/voting shows - I watched the Andrew Lloyd Webber shows too. Essentially they're all the same. That's my point. Contestant, back story (sometimes sob story), family supporting backstage, audition, voting, several rounds, eliminations, disappointment, final, winner.

You can argue til you're blue in the face that The Voice and The X Factor are different - and, yes, they have slightly different formats - but so does American Idol, so did Fame Academy and all the other shows. Often the gimmicks - spinning chairs, blind auditions are just set camouflage.

I've nothing more to add, so I'll leave it there. As far as I'm concerned will.i.am told me, in those few words, what I've known from the start. So I have no further need to discuss it as I know I'm right.

I'll just add this: were it not for the X Factor, you probably wouldn't be watching The Voice on the BBC. So it is ironic that those who hate the X Factor actually have that show to thank for The Voice. Think about it. :)

X Factor wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Fame Academy Pop Idol etc in fact they probably wouldn't have existed if not for something like Opportunity Knocks so we certainly don't have to thank TXF for anything.

But then if we follow your simplistic logic Madonna, Jessie J and Katharine Jenkins are the same because they are all women who sing !!!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    X Factor wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Fame Academy Pop Idol etc in fact they probably wouldn't have existed if not for something like Opportunity Knocks so we certainly don't have to thank TXF for anything.

X Factor was clearly because of Pop Idol, I agree. BGT is the direct descendent of Op Knocks.New Faces. Everything on TV has a precedent, but my point is the BBC went to the expense of £20 million because X Factor was a current show that was doing so well. They made the right decision of course - although they could have save a lot by just bringing back a reworked Fame Academy, but it's all about the brand.
    But then if we follow your simplistic logic Madonna, Jessie J and Katharine Jenkins are the same because they are all women who sing !!!! :)

argumentum ad absurdum! :)

Often it's the purest, simple logic that's the truest.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    I think the whole thing is a shambles:

Not about the voice at all.
    It about the Sex factor selling to the tweenies
    Totally unfair to contestants that come later in the show as earlier they judges had already got all their acts and now they had used all their steals. All contestants are not given the same opportunities.
    The show is, just like The X Factor, more about the judges than the contestants.

This show was meant to be a cut above the rest and turned out to be riddled with the same Crap Factor. Just another pop act for the tweenies finder.

Look how badly the opera singers were treated. Given a pop song to get rid of them.
  • Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not suggesting you can't be a Voice fan and an X Factor fan (or Corrie/EastEnders for that matter). I watch both after all. I liked most of singing/voting shows - I watched the Andrew Lloyd Webber shows too. Essentially they're all the same. That's my point. Contestant, back story (sometimes sob story), family supporting backstage, audition, voting, several rounds, eliminations, disappointment, final, winner.

You can argue til you're blue in the face that The Voice and The X Factor are different - and, yes, they have slightly different formats - but so does American Idol, so did Fame Academy and all the other shows. Often the gimmicks - spinning chairs, blind auditions are just set camouflage.

I've nothing more to add, so I'll leave it there. As far as I'm concerned will.i.am told me, in those few words, what I've known from the start. So I have no further need to discuss it as I know I'm right.

I'll just add this: were it not for the X Factor, you probably wouldn't be watching The Voice on the BBC. So it is ironic that those who hate the X Factor actually have that show to thank for The Voice. Think about it. :)

I don't hate The X Factor, I was merely stating that it's perfectly plausible to love The Voice and hate The X Factor. You may be acknowledging that now, but earlier with the Corrie and EE point you were seemingly saying that you don't think you can hate one show and love the other as they're pretty much the same. I'm kind of confused at what you're trying to argue now, as it seems to have deviated from your original point. You're saying that because Will said 'it's not all about the voice' that point alone means it's the same show as the XF, but you're also saying that it could have never been a different show as they're both singing shows and share slight similarities in format? Surely that means you thought even if it was 'all about the voice' then they'd still be the same show, so what was the point in even making this thread? Were you just picking up on a trivial point and trying to manipulate it to make it another way for you to say that The XF and The Voice are the same show? :confused:
  • Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the whole thing is a shambles:

Not about the voice at all.
    It about the Sex factor selling to the tweenies
    Totally unfair to contestants that come later in the show as earlier they judges had already got all their acts and now they had used all their steals. All contestants are not given the same opportunities.
    The show is, just like The X Factor, more about the judges than the contestants.

This show was meant to be a cut above the rest and turned out to be riddled with the same Crap Factor. Just another pop act for the tweenies finder.

Look how badly the opera singers were treated. Given a pop song to get rid of them.

1. It clearly is about The Voice, it may not be ALL about The Voice but if it was then people like you would be complaining about how they don't make any stars, so what are they supposed to do? :rolleyes:

2. I don't see how you've come to that conclusion about 'the sex factor' at all as I've seen nothing on the show at all to suggest that. If anything it's the opposite, as some of the conventionally unattractive contestants are tipped to do the best. I haven't seen one instance where someone has got through due to their looks, so I'm not sure why you're saying that?

3. Ok, there may be some flaws in the format, but at least it's something that's different and unique. If they standardised it there'd be even more complaints about it being the same show as XF than there already is, so once again it seems like they can't win :confused:

4. There may be some extra scenes with the judges that people find unnecessary, but it's a pretty good line up in terms of star power so there will be lots of people who want to see that. I'd still say the main focus is on the contestants, and I'd say it's the same for the XF, I don't really think that's a valid criticism for either so I don't think it proves they're the same at all

5. That's a ridiculous point about the opera singers 'being badly treated.' They were in a competition that is primarily focused around pop music, and everyone else in their team was a pop singer, so therefore they had to be paired with another pop singer in the battles. What was Will supposed to do? Make Leanne sing an opera sing? Yeah because that would have been really fair :rolleyes: What he did was the fairest he could do, give them a song that had both a pop version and an opera version. It may not have completely worked, but really there wasn't anything else he could do. What would you have done if that situation to avoid the opera singers being as 'badly treated' as they apparently were?
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, what's the name of this again? Proof this is no different to the X Factor.

To top it all the eliminated guy said the 'nan' word. What a joke.

This is just the X Factor on the BBC. As I said all along.

I agree, has anyone else noticed that not one of the people with 'experience' has got through? They come on the show, give a flawless performance, and then get dumped in favour of the younger/inexperienced/amateur/person-with-story.

There were a couple of west end singers, and someone who'd been front man in a band who blew away their competition on Saturday, but still lost out, it was sickening.

I don't know why I'm still watching, it's really pissing me off.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, has anyone else noticed that not one of the people with 'experience has got through? They come on the show, give a flawless performance, and then get dumped in favour of the younger/inexperienced/amateur/person-with-story.

There were a couple of west end singers, and someone who'd been front man in a band who blew away their competition on Saturday, but still lost out, it was sickening.

I don't know why I'm still watching, it's really pissing me off.

You might want to get your facts right. You say not one of the people with experience has got through. I can think of several.
    Cleo (aged 30) signed at 13, lead singer of Cleopatra.
    Trevor Francis (30) backing singer for P Diddy, Florence, Mariah Carey.
    Karl Michael (26) has been in a band and had previous record contract
    Leanne Jarvis (25) has been in different girl bands, sung vocals for Ministry of Sound
    Leah McFall has released an EP and played at Ronnie Scotts.
    There are others such as Moni Tivony, Matt Henry, Jamie Bruce, Ragsy, all in their 30's and have had some experience.

Did you actually watch the show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    You might want to get your facts right. You say not one of the people with experience has got through. I can think of several.
    Leanne Jarvis (25) has been in different girl bands, sung vocals for Ministry of Sound
    There are others such as Moni Tivony, Matt Henry, Jamie Bruce, Ragsy, all in their 30's and have had some experience.

Yes, but I probably won't be watching any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I probably won't be watching any more.

So if you watched the show why did you say "not one person with experience got through" when there were about 10?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you watched the show why did you say "not one person with experience got through" when there were about 10?

Because that's what it seemed like - if you look on another thread, I mentioned Cleo as being an anomaly because she is still young (I thought she was a lot younger than 30) and because the people she was up against effectively self destructed.

I don't read the back stories, and those I mentioned were the only ones who were pointed out as having been at the top before, either just after they'd sung or at some point just before - perhaps the others were parts I skipped over, I find the VTs very boring.

So, ok I was wrong. Happy now? And I will probably stop watching because this is where it all falls apart (or it did last year), and I wish I hadn't bothered with any of these battle rounds either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finding someone successful isn't all about the voice. The fact is that this show is all about the voice because of the way contestants are selected at the start. Only the best singers go through, so all of the people there are there for their voice and their voice alone. Whatever the coaches want to do after that, depends on whether they're looking just to win the show, or to actually find someone successful after the show is over. I think Will wants to find someone successful. But he still only has the choice of people there purely because of their voice. That's why you'll never see a Wagner or a Katie or a Jedward on this show, because no matter what 'star' quality they might have, if they don't have the voice they won't get into the competition.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    By the time they get to Blind Auditions they've already passed through singing for the producers, which isn't blind at all. Do people think Jay Aston got picked out of the tens of thousands who auditioned originally on the basis of her voice? When she bellowed that Muse song like she had a prolapsed lung? Please, she was there because she had a story, or a specific look, just like 95% of the auditionees.

The only part of The Voice that is "all about The Voice" is the blind auditions, which is a fairly slim round of cuts proportionately. Every other cut is about exactly the same thing as every other reality show. Making good tv.

Agreed, agreed, agreed!

For some reason, most people are under the illusion that this show is all about the voice when it's not.

They don't realize for example that there is an initial auditioning process before the blinds screening 10s of 1000s of people from whom the producers select who to go through to the next rounds.

Wake up and smell the coffee.:D
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And of those Moni Tivoni went quite far in as Lionel Richie in another show, Eventually won by a Dusty Springfield sound alike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, agreed, agreed!

For some reason, most people are under the illusion that this show is all about the voice when it's not.

They don't realize for example that there is an initial auditioning process before the blinds screening 10s of 1000s of people from whom the producers select who to go through to the next rounds.

Wake up and smell the coffee.:D

Of course people know there is an initial auditioning process before the blinds, that's been known from the start of the first series, that's why the standard is high. Do you think we're all stupid?

I think it's you who should wake up and smell the coffee and realise that people know more than you give them credit for.
  • Options
    Gregg_LUFCGregg_LUFC Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    He knows what he's talking about. He's a global superstar so whatever he says about music or the industry is true
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Its not the same as X Factor, during the blind auditions they get judged solely on their voice, then its about who the coaches believe they can coach.
    I doubt will ever see the likes of Rylan or Jedward on the Voice, they have people that can sing and not 'joke acts'.
    I love the Voice, and the coaches are great.

Just like to point out Jedward are currently in LA working on their 4th studio album…they were inexperienced not a joke act.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Just like to point out Jedward are currently in LA working on their 4th studio album…they were inexperienced not a joke act.

They never had and never will have good voices though, inexperience or not.
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They never had and never will have good voices though, inexperience or not.

John especially has a lovely warm tone to his voice IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnK8AyEgipw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

hall of fame
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxZCGqcssnM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »

Sounds pretty plain to me. You're right, they have gotten more experienced, but that doesn't make a good voice, and that's not what I'd call a great voice. I've heard people singing karaoke who have better voices. They'd never get through a blind audition, they don't have anything special.