Ghostbusters 3 confirmed with all female leads

Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Director Paul Feig has confirmed that there is a Ghostbusters 3 in the pipeline but with a female centric team.

What does everyone think? Will this work with a female team of Ghostbusters?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a602209/female-led-ghostbusters-3-confirmed-by-director-paul-feig.html#~oS92V4w6W08Lzs

Comments

• starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Charlie's Angels
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be terrible and flop.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm open minded. If the franchise was going to come back, I think it was always going to be a reboot of some description because the original cast are simply too old to make it work.

If they cast Melissa McCarthy, however, I'm out.

She can be funny in certain situations, but for a big screen film like this, she'll simply play the same character she's played in every other film she's been in.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melissa McCarthy, if she is anywhere near this, I'm out too. And I know she will be because she seems to be hot property at the moment, there's plenty of fat jokes they can put in the film, and they could even use her as a device to lure Stay Puft or Slimer into some sort of comedy kiss/sex scene.

Being made by the same people who did The Heat, which was painfully unfunny, mostly due to McCarthy, is another almost sure sign this will probably make money but will be critically panned and quickly make its way on to "worst ever sequels" lists for decades to come.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head, if it's got to be 4 women, i'd go for 3 who can do comedy roles and are, obviously IMO, decent actresses as well ..

Kristen Wiig
    Elizabeth Banks
    Rose Byrne

and the token "A-Lister" to actually open the film could either be Charlize Theron or Scarlett Johansson - Jennifer Aniston at a (big) push if nobody else was interested.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    I'm open minded. If the franchise was going to come back, I think it was always going to be a reboot of some description because the original cast are simply too old to make it work.

If they cast Melissa McCarthy, however, I'm out.

She can be funny in certain situations, but for a big screen film like this, she'll simply play the same character she's played in every other film she's been in.

Completely agree.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it going to be titled Ghostbusty....?

I`ll get me coat.....
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    Just leave it alone as the original 2 films please.
  • James_Walker2James_Walker2 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I don't like the thought of them casting female ghostbusters at all. It sounds like a flop waiting to happen.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan arkroyd's original screenplay was called 'ghostsmashers'.

It was set in the future, and there were loads ghostbusters frachies across America. The orginal film had a dozen or so giant monsters, like mr. Stay puft.

I been hoping the next film would go back to akroyd's original vision.....
  • MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would work fine as long as it's a ghostbusters film (i.e. would have worked with the original cast with perhaps minor tweaks for the gender difference).

If it ends up as a female buddy/bimbo film that happens to have a thin ghostbusters theme then it will be panned.

I think the latter is more likely, but really really really want to be proven wrong.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have a couple of squads. The the old 'busters in charge of one each. If bill murry things he's too old for it he could have a deskjob, co-ordinating everything.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Melissa McCarthy but she feels like such a predictable choice and she would be playing another character whose weight is the main focus of her character. Plus i feel her type of humor wouldn't fit into film

I wouldn't mind seeing Jennifer Lawerence as the predictable big A list star to be in. Not because of how big she is at the moment, but because she is so funny and goofy as a person, that a film like this would futher her range as an actress, as the majority of her films are dramas.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Alia Shawkat could be a good casting choice
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    The director Paul Feig has confirmed that this new Ghostbuster film will be a total reboot and could feature the original cast in cameo roles
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could work on the basis of the lead character being the daugher of one of the originals. This way you can have the link to the past and not make it different because its a female lead.

If they can, have it be the daughter of Venkman, who is now a ghost who warns that there is danger lurking in the spirit world. This set ups the daughter re-opening the old headquarters and act on behalf of her dad. I see no issue if it is something similar to that.

If on the otherhand it turns into Ghostbusters meets dull and not funny Bridesmaid, then let it stay in the past untouched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant see it working. especially if it is going to ignore the other two movies.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait :confused:
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Gillian Anderson has said that she would be interested in being in the female Ghostbuster film.I think she would be an interesting choice if they did cast her but I know a lot of people wouldn't like her in it!
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Oh hell no. What will they mess around with next, the Back to the Future films?
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Elizabeth Bank in a skimpy dress and covered in slime for 2 hours is a winner for me.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    wait a minute......that's not excoplasm!!!
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm game for this. Any of the following would be welcome:

Kristen Wiig
    Emma Stone
    Anna Faris
    Elizabeth Banks
    Amy Poehler
    Rashida Jones
    Linda Cardellini
    Sandra Bullock
    Liv Tyler
    Drew Barrymore
    Parker Posey
    Elizabeth Olsen
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant see it working. especially if it is going to ignore the other two movies.

I'd rather have a new videogame (with the original cast doing voice acting) then a female orientated reboot but that's just me! 😉
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Gillian Anderson has said that she would be interested in being in the female Ghostbuster film.I think she would be an interesting choice if they did cast her but I know a lot of people wouldn't like her in it!

Like a female version of Egon Spengler I suppose? 😳 .. She'd be perfect but I'd still rather have a videogame! 👍