Why can't I buy frozen chips for my deep fat fryer!?

simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems that whenever you go into a supermarket these days, they only have frozen oven chips - can I just use these in a deep far fryer?

I know they're not as healthy cooked that way but I'm really lazy!

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure TESCO sometimes sell those chips you can do with all three methods. It doesn't matter to me anyway, I make my own chips and stick them in a little olive oil in a pan. Add your own flavours too. :)
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    It seems that whenever you go into a supermarket these days, they only have frozen oven chips - can I just use these in a deep far fryer?

Thanks

Simon

Aww come on, it must be way easier and less messy just to bung some oven chips in. I've never used a deep fat fryer but I'd imagine they are a nightmare to clean :confused:
  • jellybabie68jellybabie68 Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you say you are lazy but come on do you want high cholestrol or worse?
  • sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oven chips come out quite crispy when deep fried, they cook quicker as well.

Dunno where you shop but my local Asda has aways got ordinary frozen chips.

kassiknorr you're making me feel hungry :)
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can deep fry oven chips, I always make fresh chips, so much better and very little effort to peel and chip a couple of potatos.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww come on, it must be way easier and less messy just to bung some oven chips in. I've never used a deep fat fryer but I'd imagine they are a nightmare to clean :confused:

Problem is they cost less than £30 so I tend to throw them out after 6 months and buy a new one!

(Christ I really am sounding lazy now!!! Can you tell I'm a batchelor?!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never used a deep fat fryer but I'd imagine they are a nightmare to clean :confused:

To right, mines got a little hose to drain the oil, and does it, does it ****.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sbugg wrote: »
    Oven chips come out quite crispy when deep fried, they cook quicker as well.

Dunno where you shop but my local Asda has aways got ordinary frozen chips.

kassiknorr you're making me feel hungry :)

Whoops ! Sorry, I didn't do it on purpose, honest.

*eats fried chips slowly*

:p:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kassiknorr wrote: »
    Whoops ! Sorry, I didn't do it on purpose, honest.

*eats fried chips slowly*

:p:p

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always deep fat fry my McCains oven chips, they taste fine. It's a crying shame when you cannot get the deep fat fry one's anymore, because some health minister tells you they are unhealthy. I will decide for myself what's healthy and what's not, I think I'm old enough now, to use common sense.

So we will be very naughty and keep having our deep fat fried chips one a week.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I always deep fat fry my McCains oven chips, they taste fine. It's a crying shame when you cannot get the deep fat fry one's anymore, because some health minister tells you they are unhealthy. I will decide for myself what's healthy and what's not, I think I'm old enough now, to use common sense.

So we will be very naughty and keep having our deep fat fried chips one a week.:D

Well said! . . . and don't get me started on lightbulbs ;)
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Problem is they cost less than £30 so I tend to throw them out after 6 months and buy a new one!

:eek: You need a women to sort you out :D:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :eek: You need a women to sort you out :D:p

Woo Hoo!!

Do I detect the beginnings of a fledgling romance????? :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »

Who's said we cant buy frozen chips, have I missed something?, are Asda breaking the law, they have tons of them in the one I use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just cut up some potatoes...?

I don't understand why you would need frozen chips for a deep fat fryer...
  • PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL, that's made me laugh :D:D

Surely, being a really lazy batchelor wouldn't it be easier to

a) Switch oven on
    b) Bung in oven chips
    c) Eat said healthy oven chips

rather than

a) Switch on deep fryer
    b) Wait for it to heat up
    c) Bung in chips, dodging spitting fat
    d) Wait by fryer whilst chips are cooking
    e) Remove greasy chips
    f) Drain chips on kitchen roll (optional)

Failing all that, just buy them from the chippy :D:D Actually, delivery would be even better but hey you have got to lift a finger at some point and not just when you are eating them :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pickpuss wrote: »
    LOL, that's made me laugh :D:D

Surely, being a really lazy batchelor wouldn't it be easier to

a) Switch oven on
    b) Bung in oven chips
    c) Eat said healthy oven chips

rather than

a) Switch on deep fryer
    b) Wait for it to heat up
    c) Bung in chips, dodging spitting fat
    d) Wait by fryer whilst chips are cooking
    e) Remove greasy chips
    f) Drain chips of kitche roll (optional)

Failing all that, just buy them from the chippy :D:D Actually, delivery would be even better but hey you have got to lift a finger at some point and not just when you are eating them :D

If you prefer to eat soggy cardboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked the taste of oven chips - they taste dry and bland :(

I might buy some this week and see what they're like in the deep fat fryer.

Watch this space!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks

Simon

How come deep-fat frying chips requires less effort than sticking them in the oven?

I would have said it's the other way round... particularly given that the fumes from a deep fat fryer seem to leave a coat of grease around the whole kitchen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked the taste of oven chips - they taste dry and bland :(

I might buy some this week and see what they're like in the deep fat fryer.

Watch this space!

They are disgusting and I have absolutely no idea why they were ever thrust upon us. Anyway, throw them in the fryer. Make sure the oil temperature is hot enough to seal the chip and actually cook it. If you bung them in while the oil is still heating up you'll get a fat ridden mess. use a good quality vegetable oil (Or go for it and do them in lard) and enjoy. Have them in moderation and stuff the health conscious. Oven chips indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway... what's wrong with just cutting a potato into chips?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do Fry my chips but I use fresh potatoes and clean the oil once a week with the hose-me-bob.

It isn't that often we actually have chips normally 2 times a week, Oven chips are a nightmare when cooking for 6 mouths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand oven chips. Whenever I've used them, I always follow the cooking guidelines to the letter, yet they still need around twenty minutes extra cooking time and STILL they're not done! :eek: Our oven doesn't struggle with anything else, just oven chips. They taste awful as well, in my opinion. I remember some Morrisons ones I had a few years ago tasted like they were marinated in sugar water beforehand. Tate & Lyle had nothing on these abominations masquerading as food. :mad:

:)
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriends mum deep fries her chips and they are horrid! They are greasy and just all squishy inside *insert vomit smiley here*

No, I prefer oven chips everytime. Or occassionally, home-made wedges covered in one of those BBQ seasonings you can get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bookends wrote: »
    Anyway... what's wrong with just cutting a potato into chips?

I would like to refer the honourable poster back to my earlier comment about being a lazy b&%@#$£ ;)