Options

Fox T2 wiped all planned recordings yesterday.

Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else have this problem yesterday.

It's worked reliably for other a year now. Anyone else had random deletion of all planned recordings ever?

I don't suppose there's a hidden 'feature' somewhere that I've accidentally pressed marked 'please wipe all planned recordings and don't put any confirmation box on screen?' ;)

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worked reliably for other a year now. Anyone else had random deletion of all planned recordings ever?
    There was a retune event yesterday and when the box retunes it wipes the schedule of recordings so it wasn't random. Certainly top of my list of things that Humax should fix is to retain the recording schedule after a retune. The custom firmware does it pretty well so it certainly isn't immensely difficult.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also happened for some on the 3rd September. In addition to Martin's comments above here are my comments from last month. ('OTA' being the hummy.tv colloquial term for this type of event as that is when it first was noticed.)
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    If you have the custom firmware installed then install the disable-dso package. This will delete the hidden schedule event that triggers a retune to be enforced. The hedden schedule event is loaded on to your HDR-FOX T2 in advance of the publicised retune dates and so you could manually delete the event through the custom firmware’s web interface view of the schedule which does not hide these events. But if you did this manually there is nothing to stop the HDR-FOX T2 setting it up again.

What the HDR-FOX T2 does on all but the oldest software versions is to display a pop-up asking if you want to retune now or later. If you don’t select 'Later' within three(?) minutes it defaults to ‘Now’.

Your HDR-FOX tuning while you were out suggest that it was switched on at some point between 15:30 and when you went to use it after you came home. You may have left it on, there may be a programme reminder that you set, or you may be using the power on/down option, or you may have switched it on when you came home but didn’t check the screen for a few minutes.

Some of the old software (e.g. 1.0.2.20) asks whether you want to retune and defaults to 'No'. If you were prepared to put up with the restrictions of that version then installing 1.02.20 would also stop this happening again unless there was an OTA followed by another retune day.

Hopefully Humax will be flooded with complaints about the pop-up defaut for both the HDR-FOX T2 and the HDR-2000T.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=74613911
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Had the same issue here and had to re-tune manually as I tend to have channels in the 800s otherwise. Wasn't expecting to be spending my evening like that. Glad I wasn't away or I would have been bloomin' annoyed!
  • Options
    fedmanfedman Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a bunch Humax / Freeview, once again my entire record schedule has been wiped.

Come on at least just warn us to retune, not just automatically do it.

Oh, and when is the antenna loop through problem on the T2000 going to be sorted.
    How anyone can design a PVR without 'loop through' in standby is beyond me. I would guess the majority of customers will have a cable from a wall socket to the PVR, and a cable from the loop through output of the PVR to their TV.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fedman wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch Humax / Freeview, once again my entire record schedule has been wiped.

When I turned on my FOX yesterday at 4.30pm it put up a Notice saying, "In order to continue to receive all tha channels in your area please press OK to retune." with Now and Later buttons. I don't know how much later Later is. Maybe it defaults to retune if you ignore it or you aren't actually looking at the screen.

The equivalent message put up by the 9200T give a lot more information and tells you what you will lose. I don't think it defaults.

The whole thing was a just tidying up exercise after the September 3rd retune - removing duplicate channels in the 700s due to mux changes and removing messages saying where some of the channels had moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    When I turned on my FOX yesterday at 4.30pm it put up a Notice saying, "In order to continue to receive all tha channels in your area please press OK to retune." with Now and Later buttons. I don't know how much later Later is. Maybe it defaults to retune if you ignore it or you aren't actually looking at the screen.

Sorry I should have said that my PVR is a FOX T2,
    I was not watching at 4.30pm yesterday, but was viewing from pre recorded media for a couple of hours in the evening. On powering up the box I saw no messages relating to retunes. In the past we have had days of warnings about retunes, what happened to these this time?
    My device seems to have gone into 'auto retune' mode overnight.

Hey-ho not the end of the world, but I could have spent my time better than trying to remember what was in my schedule.
  • Options
    ejstubbsejstubbs Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    It also happened for some on the 3rd September. In addition to Martin's comments above here are my comments from last month. ('OTA' being the hummy.tv colloquial term for this type of event as that is when it first was noticed.)

OTA is short for "Over The Air". What it actually means an update to the PVR's firmware delivered over the TV transmission system. An OTA firmware update to the Humax will not wipe the recording schedule.

What does wipe the recording schedule is a re-tune, either manually initiated or done automatically by the box. Automatic retunes are triggered by a signal embedded in the TV data, which is sent when new channels are added, old ones removed or existing ones renumbered or moved to a different mux. This is what is frequently referred to on hummy.tv as a "DSO": standing for Digital Switch Over, it dates back to the time when digital TV was replacing the analogue channels, a process which required a series of retunes in order to get all the digital channels activated and the analogue ones switched off. Since the actual DSO process completed several years ago, it's more than a little inaccurate to keep calling it that, but the term has persisted.

With the Humax, there is a historical link between OTA firmware updates and a "DSO" event. When the Humax receives a retune (ie "DSO") trigger it prompts the user, asking whether or not they want to proceed with the retune. In older versions of the firmware, this would time out and default to "no". In later versions it defaults to "yes" - so you have to actually be present when the box asks the question to stop it from wiping your recording schedule with a retune. The link with OTA is that the first firmware version which displayed this change in behaviour was delivered to existing boxes OTA - a process over which the ordinary user (ie someone not using the customised firmware) has no control. So the box updated its firmware unbeknownst to the user, then come the next automatic retune trigger, the box retuned itself without waiting for explicit permission from the user - and wiped their recording schedule.

The customised firmware available through hummy.tv allows users to install a package which prevents OTA firmware upgrades, and one which prevents "DSO" automatic retunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejstubbs wrote: »
    OTA is short for "Over The Air". What it actually means an update to the PVR's firmware delivered over the TV transmission system. An OTA firmware update to the Humax will not wipe the recording schedule.

What does wipe the recording schedule is a re-tune, either manually initiated or done automatically by the box. Automatic retunes are triggered by a signal embedded in the TV data, which is sent when new channels are added, old ones removed or existing ones renumbered or moved to a different mux. This is what is frequently referred to on hummy.tv as a "DSO": standing for Digital Switch Over, it dates back to the time when digital TV was replacing the analogue channels, a process which required a series of retunes in order to get all the digital channels activated and the analogue ones switched off. Since the actual DSO process completed several years ago, it's more than a little inaccurate to keep calling it that, but the term has persisted.

With the Humax, there is a historical link between OTA firmware updates and a "DSO" event. When the Humax receives a retune (ie "DSO") trigger it prompts the user, asking whether or not they want to proceed with the retune. In older versions of the firmware, this would time out and default to "no". In later versions it defaults to "yes" - so you have to actually be present when the box asks the question to stop it from wiping your recording schedule with a retune. The link with OTA is that the first firmware version which displayed this change in behaviour was delivered to existing boxes OTA - a process over which the ordinary user (ie someone not using the customised firmware) has no control. So the box updated its firmware unbeknownst to the user, then come the next automatic retune trigger, the box retuned itself without waiting for explicit permission from the user - and wiped their recording schedule.

The customised firmware available through hummy.tv allows users to install a package which prevents OTA firmware upgrades, and one which prevents "DSO" automatic retunes.

An excellent and concise post, just a shame Humax do not take note.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a retune event yesterday and when the box retunes it wipes the schedule of recordings so it wasn't random. Certainly top of my list of things that Humax should fix is to retain the recording schedule after a retune. The custom firmware does it pretty well so it certainly isn't immensely difficult.

Many thanks for the info. Appreciated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fedman wrote: »

Oh, and when is the antenna loop through problem on the T2000 going to be sorted.
    How anyone can design a PVR without 'loop through' in standby is beyond me. I would guess the majority of customers will have a cable from a wall socket to the PVR, and a cable from the loop through output of the PVR to their TV.

It seems worse than that. When I first got it I tried splitting the aerial signal so the rest of the equipment wasn't fed the signal via the Humax... but the Humax still needed to stay on. Bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all the replies.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pathetic that it should have done this twice within a month.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejstubbs wrote: »

I have no idea why you have quoted me when I stated that 'OTA' was the Hummy.tv's colloquial term for this type of event as that is when it first was noticed. I presume that you are attempting to insult me but I have no idea why.
  • Options
    trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't suppose there's a hidden 'feature' somewhere that I've accidentally pressed marked 'please wipe all planned recordings and don't put any confirmation box on screen?' ;)

Arrrrrrgh! It happened twice to me in one day! (HDR Fox T2).

I thought I had done something wrong at first, then discovered 30-odd scheduled recordings had been cleared.

That ridiculous "Automatic Scan" idiotically locked onto two weak Durris multiplexes, then added the seven strong Angus multiplexes, putting some channels in the 800's.

I rescanned manually, reset the recording schedule, powered down and came back later that evening to find the same thing had happened.

Humax need to fix this problem NOW.
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem here.

The timer schedule on my HDR-T2 wiped without warning, and several recordings missed before I became aware of the problem. I laboriously reprogrammed the schedule then noticed that some of the new recordings were breaking up at times, evidently because they were on the wrong (weak) muxes.

Annoying!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yes very inconvenient to have retune. Lost an opportunity to record a programme that might not be repeated.

Is there an alert service to check when these retunes are coming?
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xsteele wrote: »
    Yes very inconvenient to have retune. Lost an opportunity to record a programme that might not be repeated.

Is there an alert service to check when these retunes are coming?
    Only the on-screen message I quoted in my earlier reply in this thread.