Moving house with two cats - any hints gratefully received!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
Forum Member
✭✭
I am moving home next month and have two house cats. One is a bad traveller and one is virtually impossible to catch and get in a carrier. It is causing me sleepless nights!!!!

I have come up with a plan and would be very grateful to hear what people think. The vet has given me a dietary supplement for my older cat to be taken for a couple of weeks before the move to reduce her stress levels. So that is sorted.

I have decided that the best way to transport them is in two small puppy crates that can accommodate their own beds and possibly even a small litter tray. I would then partially cover the crates with a blanket.

It occurs to me that if I put their beds in the crates for a few weeks in advance they will get used to them and find them less threatening. It is also going to be a heck of a lot easier to get my younger cat in a crate than a cat box.

Also it will contain them safely while the removal men are around. (They will be in a specially emptied room or bathroom - possibly two separate ones as they don't really get on).

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this bed and crate method or has any viable alternatives they can suggest?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    personally I wouldn't do the crate - its a good idea for whilst they are there, but when your moving them there is too much risk of injury - imagine a sudden brake or turn in the car (presuming the car is even big enough to get two crates in), and the poor cat gets slung the length of the crate. Cat boxes are much better for travel, they are easier to keep dark and that calms the cat.

Personally I put mine into a cattery when we move- we put them in the day before the movers arrive, and then collect them the day after we've moved - they are particuarly stressy around people (although sadly only the girl is left now, the boy died a few years go- but basing this on my last move) so it was better for all to keep them out of the way.
  • ktboilsktboils Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    You have my sympathies!

Moved two from South Wales to Norfolk. Was soooooooooooo stressful.

Both had a tranquiliser tablet on the morning and I sat with them in a small room whilst the removal men finished the loading.

Then had to travel with them each in their own cat carrier on a 5 hour journey. Puddin' did poo in her carrier 5 miles into the journey!! Trying to clean that up was a nightmare in a very packed car and hubby wretching! Then same cat did the same again as we were picking up the keys to the new house.

Then we had to wait 2 hours for it all to be complete.

Sorry can't really help but can only say thank goodness they'd had the tranqs else I'd never have been able to manage to even clean round her.
  • BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Our vet took our cat for the day while we packed.
    We picked him up after we'd moved (not too far).

We thought he wouldn't know where we'd moved 'from' and 'to' but he found his way back to the old house.

The postman would let us know if he'd 'gone home' again and OH would go off on his bike and carry the cat back under his arm. It was a funny sight :D
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I moved from London to Glasgow three years ago with my two old dearly loved cats. I asked for advice here and followed what I was advised and it worked a treat.

Both cats were locked in the bathroom with food, litter tray etc on day of move and I kept checking to see if they were ok.

I drove to Lancaster with them both in backseat in cat baskets(the ones with litter trays underneath)and a bowl of water and dried food. Neither were tranquilised by vet as advised by posters here. They weren't happy for about 30 mins then settled down and slept. Stayed at friends for night and both cats were made a huge fuss of and wandered into garden with me at night but stayed by my side..

Next day finished leg of journey. And seemed to settle in quite quickly. I did bring the chair covers they slept on on my own chairs and put them on the chairs of house I was staying in until I got new house sorted.

To be fair both were old and I had had them since birth and they both loved me to bits so think as long as I was there they were fine.

Sadly both died of old age . One three months after move and the other two years. Still haven't replaced them (how could I) but still have all the cat stuff in garage so haven't ruled it out yet.

Good luck and hope the move goes as smoothly as mine :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. Good point about the risk of injury with a cage. What I may try is finding slightly bigger carriers that can accommodate their beds. I just feel that if they have something familiar it may help reduce their stress levels.

I had very bad experiences with tranquillisers as they do tend to give them the runs.

It's good to know that I am not alone in these worries. I thought I was over-reacting to be honest. The rest of the move doesn't bother me at all. I just want to get them - and me! - there in one piece!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was little we moved house and we'd not long got a kitten (Tiddles), anyway when we got to the new house my mum put Tiddles in an outside shed out of the way while there were people going in and out of the house. I accidently opened the shed door and being scared she ran out of the garden and disappeared, we couldn't find her, later on a neighbour knocked on our door holding up our dead kitten by the scruff and said is this yours. Apparently she'd hid in his car engine and had died when he started the car. :(

Edit: I didn't put that to worry you, just your story reminded me of it. And to say you're not over-reacting, moving is very stressful for a pet. Hope everything goes smoothly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God. Sorry to hear that. Now I am even more worried :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God. Sorry to hear that. Now I am even more worried :(

Nooooo, I didn't put that to worry you, your story just reminded me, it was a long time ago. I'm sure your cats will be fine you seem to have thought ahead about any potential problems.

Good luck with the move. :)