Anna Karen - On The Buses 'Olive'

gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
Remember Olive? The dowdy ugly boring wife of Arthur and sister of bus driver Stan Butler!

I was watching the many episodes of On The Buses but when I looked at the images of the actress she was very good looking. Even today in her 70s she iooks fantastic,

The magic of television make-up.

Olive was the lynchpin of the series and a great character

In the 1970s "I really 'ate you butler" was the catchphrase everyone knew. :)

Comments

• Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Olive? The dowdy ugly boring wife of Arthur and sister of bus driver Stan Butler!

I was watching the many episodes of On The Buses but when I looked at the images of the actress she was very good looking. Even today in her 70s she iooks fantastic,

Got a woman at my work who is the spitting image of Olive - I mean like separated at birth. Was trying to get my team to see this but they all looked at me blankly. At that point the fact I was 15 to 25 years older than them became embarrassingly obvious :)
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a neighbour who could make up triplets. Before we got to know her always called her Olive between ourselves and still have trouble using her real name - called her Olive to another neighbour, thank goodness he is Dutch and just thought I had made a mistake with her name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also plays Peggys sister, Aunt Sal, in Eastenders and has appeared intermittently since the mid-90's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was always nicknamed olive at school and a couple of jobs (when not olive from on the busses I am apparently Penfold from dangermouse) & was always quite upset about it.

I have no idea why I'm telling you all this.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Oh Arthur'

'You stupid great lump!'

:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose we all have different tastes when it comes to who we find attractive. I've never thought Olive/Anna Karen was attractive though.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also plays Peggys sister, Aunt Sal, in Eastenders and has appeared intermittently since the mid-90's.

Barbara Windsor and Anna Karen are best friends in real life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    When I was growing up, my auntie (who was in her early 20s and quite attractive) had a brown bob and wore glasses, which, to my seven year old mind, made her look the spitting image of Olive. She was not amused.

Sounds like there are/were a lot of Olives out there!
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbara Windsor and Anna Karen are best friends in real life.

Indeed they have known each other for years. They were both in Carry on Camping together too. Anna is playing the girl who Babs is beating up in the posh school at the start before Hattiw walks in.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you got any links to pictures of the actress?
    It's difficult to imagine her not looking like Olive.

I agree that she was a great character in On The Buses. One of the very memorable television character creations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you got any links to pictures of the actress?
    It's difficult to imagine her not looking like Olive.

I agree that she was a great character in On The Buses. One of the very memorable television character creations.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091217174505/eastenders/images/d/d4/Sal_4.jpg

There's more if you google images of Anna.
  • LoriseLorise Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use to watch on the buses when I was young girl, got my teenage son into watching the re runs with me and it would make him so mad the way everyone called her fat and ugly, he would say mam she isn't even fat, and when you look at the episodes when she was ever in her little nightie ( trying to seduce Arthur ha) or a bathing suit / bikini he was right she had a lovely flat tummy and great legs.
  • Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lorise wrote: »
    I use to watch on the buses when I was young girl, got my teenage son into watching the re runs with me and it would make him so mad the way everyone called her fat and ugly, he would say mam she isn't even fat, and when you look at the episodes when she was ever in her little nightie ( trying to seduce Arthur ha) or a bathing suit / bikini he was right she had a lovely flat tummy and great legs.

She used to be a a stripper in her younger days and a rather attractive lady, so her make up was pretty good!

http://www.thetvlounge.co.uk/sweeney/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6973

(Contains nudity)

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/actors-actresses/97598-anna-karen-2.html

Scroll down for magazine & newspaper pieces..
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I 'ate you butler!!!
  • LoriseLorise Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She used to be a a stripper in her younger days and a rather attractive lady, so her make up was pretty good!

(Contains nudity)

She looks really pretty facial wise in those pictures, think the glasses in on the buses didn't help much hiding her face
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No I've seen that. I already did a search on Google image search, but I was looking for pictures of Anna Karen when she was younger and playing Olive, but not in character.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

(Contains nudity)

Excellent links - that is the defining image of a sexy woman. Thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent links - that is the defining image of a sexy woman. Thanks :)

She's lovely isn't she?:)

Problem is, today she might be considered to be 'fat'. :(
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew she was very attractive in real life. Didn't know she was a stripper though. I thought you had to be skinny to be a stripper
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DE53 wrote: »
    I knew she was very attractive in real life. Didn't know she was a stripper though. I thought you had to be skinny to be a stripper

This was back in the 60's though, when women looked like women and not anorexic stick insects.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was back in the 60's though, when women looked like women and not anorexic stick insects.

:D:D:D
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the name she was born with, or did she take here name from the book 'Anna Karenina'?. I tried googling it but got no answer.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I think it was the big glasses, the droopy hairstyle and the gormless expression that made her look plain, not her actual features. She seems to have been reasonably attractive looking in real life.
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    Hardly surprising is it? A supposedly unattractive female character being portrayed by an attractive actress :) Hollywood's idea of a plain female character is Jennifer Anniston in glasses with a frumpy hairdo :cool:
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I love her. Those milk bottle glasses were hot.

Sorry, but she was hot.