Terrible diction...

13»

Comments

• spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    To add some balance, Morrissey must have the best diction ever. Every word, whether on record or sung live is crystal clear.

I agree, Morrissey has perfect diction, as does Dan from The Feeling.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayn Malik has a great voice but is somewhat of a mumbler and can suffer projection issues when he's not belting out a high note.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJYWVYL4JQ
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed that nobody's mentioned James Dean Bradfield yet :D I know he has some difficult lyrics to work with but I can sometimes get through an entire song and only pick out one or two words.

Liz Fraser's a funny one. It seems that the Japanese were attempting to add lyrics to their versions of Cocteau Twins' albums without realising that the words are largely made up :D
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm amazed that nobody's mentioned James Dean Bradfield yet :D I know he has some difficult lyrics to work with but I can sometimes get through an entire song and only pick out one or two words.

I did mention JDB.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    To add some balance....
    Nat King Cole had very good diction as does Tom from Keane.

Often, having to speak/sing in a language that isn't yours forces you to have better diction than you might ordinarily thus the Abba girls do pretty well overall...
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Celine Dion's diction seems to have gone downhill lately, especially her recent hits. Did she spend four or five years speaking only French?
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Diana Vickers.........."Corned Beef" anyone?!!

Have a nibble, Pigeons...
  • _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I like her, Leona Lewis mispronounces so many words especially on Forgive Me and Can't Breathe.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Liz Fraser's a funny one. It seems that the Japanese were attempting to add lyrics to their versions of Cocteau Twins' albums without realising that the words are largely made up :D

Liz Fraser was brilliant. She was creating a singing language of her own. Jonsi out of Sigur Ros does something similar. It's a form of musical 'Impressionism'.

I'm enthralled by the underlying snobbery in this. I'm thinking G B Shaw's 'Pygmalion' is alive and well and living on DS.

I suspect some people here would have criticised J W Turner's works for being blurry.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem a bit pointless considering that a high percentage of vocals by chart acts are deliberately auto-tuned and synthesised to the point where you can't make out any of the words at all.
  • tjp1991tjp1991 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Justin Timberlake especially on Mirrors.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will also add though, the singer with the best diction ever is/was Whitney Houston. :)
  • froggy22froggy22 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Sia is the worst for this atm. No idea what shes saying on Titanium