Clinique adverts on DS site

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
Forum Member
Why am I getting Clinique adverts around the borders of the main DS site now? Bloody infuriating!!

Comments

• PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    99% of the ads are generated through previously dropped cookies from sites on the same ad network, or the same thing in your Flash memory.

Ie. Someone has been searching for Clinique or similar on your computer...
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love some of their products but their "Clarifying Lotion" is the work of the devil.... think one of them is something like 36% alcohol.

Not on my face!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love some of their products but their "Clarifying Lotion" is the work of the devil.... think one of them is something like 36% alcohol.

Not on my face!!

Their exfoliator is good, if you like that sort of thing.

The rest of their stuff is double the price it should be and stuffed full of parabens and alcohol, like you say.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, people used to say that DS was very cliquey!

Now we've got official sponsorship...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Their exfoliator is good, if you like that sort of thing.

The rest of their stuff is double the price it should be and stuffed full of parabens and alcohol, like you say.

Yeah I was looking recently as the 2% salicylic acid toner I use is around about £23 which I thought was a bit expensive for a toner. A bit of research showed the Clinique one also has 2% salicylic acid in but then I saw how much alcohol it had in it and decided it was worth the extra £4-£6 for one that is alcohol free.

Neutrogena also do one with 2% SA for like £8-£9 which looked promising. Think that was almost 40% alcohol as well. No chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I was looking recently as the 2% salicylic acid toner I use is around about £23 which I thought was a bit expensive for a toner. A bit of research showed the Clinique one also has 2% salicylic acid in but then I saw how much alcohol it had in it and decided it was worth the extra £4-£6 for one that is alcohol free.

Neutrogena also do one with 2% SA for like £8-£9 which looked promising. Think that was almost 40% alcohol as well. No chance.

I can see there being an enormous court case in 30 years time, where the people who have been sold all these alcohol-based products sue because they look like prunes.

If you can afford Clinique prices, there are so many better options on the market, for men and women.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    You must be the remaining DS user who doesn't have adblock. :o

Well .. to use a cliche .. this ..

But then as sure as night follows day, we'll always get a thread complaining about ads every now and again
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member

:D Seriously. This thread pops up about once a month or so about someone annoyed with some ad. I've never see a single ad on DS. Never.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :D Seriously. This thread pops up about once a month or so about someone annoyed with some ad. I've never see a single ad on DS. Never.

Me neither.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    Well .. to use a cliche .. this ..

But then as sure as night follows day, we'll always get a thread complaining about ads every now and again

The last time I used ad blocker on my laptop it almost crashed the thing and many websites did not function properly. It is not always an option
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    The last time I used ad blocker on my laptop it almost crashed the thing and many websites did not function properly. It is not always an option

What ad blocker did you use ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see there being an enormous court case in 30 years time, where the people who have been sold all these alcohol-based products sue because they look like prunes.

If you can afford Clinique prices, there are so many better options on the market, for men and women.

The stuff I use is more expensive than Clinique. I was looking at Clinique for a cheaper alternative :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stuff I use is more expensive than Clinique. I was looking at Clinique for a cheaper alternative :o

All I meant was that the £25-£40 range has a lot of options.

There are very few things over £45 that have any real value beyond that range. There's only about 8 ingredients that have ever shown any real impact on human skin improvement, and anything beyond that is marketing nonsense. And some of the best things with them are in the £20-£30 range.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member

So what's the recommended ad blocker on an iPad then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I meant was that the £25-£40 range has a lot of options.

There are very few things over £45 that have any real value beyond that range. There's only about 8 ingredients that have ever shown any real impact on human skin improvement, and anything beyond that is marketing nonsense. And some of the best things with them are in the £20-£30 range.

Indeed... but finding good skin care isn't all about finding the 8 ingredients that have ever shown any impact on human skin improvement. It's also finding a product that has those without the nasties too, which leads us to where I started with my first post in this thread. For example, there are plenty of products with salicylic acid in, so you'd expect to be able to find a product for around a tenner or less. Unfortunately that isn't the case, because finding one with SA in but also without alcohol/coloring/fragrance in is difficult. The cheaper ones are full of crap, so in that case, paying more can sometimes be worthwhile.

You'd be surprised at how many £20/£30/£40 products have just as crap ingredients in as the £3/£4/£5 ones.