Labour Will Axe The Work Programme !!!

2»

Comments

• nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Last figure I saw was about half-a-million vacancies - growing all the time, so reasons to be optimistic.

Brilliant, just another 1.8 million to go.

I'm sure Labour could invent another 1.8m public sector non-jobs. Only trouble - how to pay for them?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the difference?

A wage for the work people do.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Brilliant, just another 1.8 million to go.

Not really. It doesn't follow that the 500k vacancies can be filled by the skillsets of the 2.3m unemployed. My company has many vacancies, but finding available suitably-skilled candidates is very difficult.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also say they're going to restore the link between contributions and benefits.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/20/labour-restore-link-contributions-benefits
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Not really. It doesn't follow that the 500k vacancies can be filled by the skillsets of the 2.3m unemployed. My company has many vacancies, but finding available suitably-skilled candidates is very difficult.

Also, there is always a level of vacancies, the whole system would collapse if there wasn't.

There are many people changing from one job to another, of course that position is momentarily going to become a vacancy, only to be filled from someone moving from another job.

Just because there are X amount of vacancies, it doesn't mean X amount of unemployed could fill them. Grrrr..... it gets me when folk do that.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    A wage for the work people do.

But in that case if under Labour employers will be able to pay the people who work for them, why can't they pay them under this government?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    In side the work programme and why it does not work. http://welfarenewsservice.com/exclusive-inside-work-programme-doesnt-work-2/
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    They also say they're going to restore the link between contributions and benefits.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/20/labour-restore-link-contributions-benefits

problem with that is if the person was a carer for mos of ther life and haven't had paid work, they have contributed and sacrificed alot, will they get the higher rate
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder how they are going to cost that...

...bankers bonus tax?
  • Bill_JamesBill_James Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    1TrueNorth wrote: »

So what will they replace it with?
    Forum Member
    problem with that is if the person was a carer for mos of ther life and haven't had paid work, they have contributed and sacrificed alot, will they get the higher rate

No THe higher contribution rate would be for manly JSA
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    Last figure I saw was about half-a-million vacancies - growing all the time, so reasons to be optimistic.

THe underlying number of job vacancies has to be higher as we have a constant stream of migrants coming into the UK so there is doubt over the accuracy of the government statistics
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Bill_James wrote: »
    No THe higher contribution rate would be for manly JSA

What I mean is if they have been caringvfor someone 24/7 for yesrs thst person they arr caring for dies or has to go live in a home or something, that csrrr mow tries to fond a paid job, he has been working jard as a carer most of his life, does he get the higher rate or the lower rate
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

What we really need is a Nationalkills shortage Map showing what skills we are short of and in what areas they are. We then need training schemes put in place to train people to fill these positions

Probably much of this data probably exists in a very fragmented form but there is no big picture of it
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's really about older people who lose their jobs when realistically they aren't going to get a decent new one. If a person loses their job at aged 56 it's a long time to go to live on JSA until they retire.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I mean is if they have been caringvfor someone 24/7 for yesrs thst person they arr caring for dies or has to go live in a home or something, that csrrr mow tries to fond a paid job, he has been working jard as a carer most of his life, does he get the higher rate or the lower rate

Yes if they get carers allowance they get NI credits, so someone caring for someone for 30 years and claiming CA for all that time would then get more JSA then someone who has only paid 2 years of NI from paid work.

The problem as I see it is that yes I would benefit having already paid 43 years worth of NI contributions, but that is due to my age amongst other things, how long before someone who has only paid in for a couple of years due to their age would start to scream age discrimination and take the government to court over it.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's really about older people who lose their jobs when realistically they aren't going to get a decent new one. If a person loses their job at aged 56 it's a long time to go to live on JSA until they retire.

I got a job aged 58 after two weeks of unemployment in an unemployment black spot so can be done, granted I am earning less per month than I used to pay in tax and NI per month but its a job
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But in that case if under Labour employers will be able to pay the people who work for them, why can't they pay them under this government?

I doubt if the company will be paying for them more likely the government will pay companies to take on an extra member of staff for a few weeks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A by-product of the current, often demeaning, unpaid back-to-work scheme is that those losing their jobs may well be deterred from claiming in the first place. My own wife is taking voluntary redundancy and is terrified of signing on after reading all the stories in the media about how badly claimants are treated. In fact, she won't do so. So there's another person who won't be included in the unemployment figures. Hmm…
    Forum Member
    A by-product of the current, often demeaning, unpaid back-to-work scheme is that those losing their jobs may well be deterred from claiming in the first place. My own wife is taking voluntary redundancy and is terrified of signing on after reading all the stories in the media about how badly claimants are treated. In fact, she won't do so. So there's another person who won't be included in the unemployment figures. Hmm…

She would not be able to claim any benefits in any case. She choose to make herself unemployed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill_James wrote: »
    She would not be able to claim any benefits in any case. She choose to make herself unemployed

AFAIK it doesn't matter whether it's voluntary or not – it's still redundancy. Also, I'm sure she could claim contributions-based JSA at some point.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I doubt if the company will be paying for them more likely the government will pay companies to take on an extra member of staff for a few weeks

But then that is no different to what is happening now. Which goes to show there are not enough real jobs being created now nor will be in the future.
    Forum Member
    AFAIK it doesn't matter whether it's voluntary or not – it's still redundancy. Also, I'm sure she could claim contributions-based JSA at some point.

It counts the same as deliberately making yourself unemployed. She would not be able to claim JSA until basically her savings fell below the limit
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member

You are correct. Voluntary redundancy is not the same as arbitrarily choosing to leave a job. She would be able to claim contribution based JSA (I assume she has paid enough NI over the last 2 years) on taking voluntary redundancy.