Restaurant Wars: The Battle For Manchester

niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hope a thread doesn't already exist for this show. I love food programs and I hope this shows a lot more of the actual food side of things, testing menus, sourcing ingredients, training the staff, etc. It would be too easy just to show a lot of grumpy Manchester customers going on about fancy food isn't for them.

So far Simon Rogan is coming across as a bit of a Dick, but I quite liked him on Great British Menu, so I hope he just suffered from bad editing in episode 1.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/restaurant-wars-the-battle-for-manchester-bbc2--tv-review-a-nononsense-battle-of-the-chefs-whets-the-appetite-9259718.html

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven`t checked online for recent news but I`m willing to bet that The French will crash and burn while the other one looks like it might succeed, if only because the venue looks great. Chef seems like a Heston mini-me though and I thought his disdain for having to do tarted-up pub-grub revealed a snobbiness that would prejudice me against eating at his new gaff if I was ever in Manchester again.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Reviews and reports suggest it is more likely to be the other way round. Both were testing the maxim there is no such thing as bad publicity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Reviews and reports suggest it is more likely to be the other way round. Both were testing the maxim there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Mancunians seem happy confirming the northern stereotype then! Pie and chips forevermore....
  • saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have eaten at Manchester House twice and it is great - Was planning on booking the French to compare but after seeing that absolute **** of a man, Rogan I don't think I want to line his arrogant pockets!!

Aiden seems really humble - and he works in that restaurant every day and night in full view of the customers so you know he cant get away with speaking to people like shite!!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I haven`t checked online for recent news but I`m willing to bet that The French will crash and burn while the other one looks like it might succeed, if only because the venue looks great. Chef seems like a Heston mini-me though and I thought his disdain for having to do tarted-up pub-grub revealed a snobbiness that would prejudice me against eating at his new gaff if I was ever in Manchester again.

The fact he did change his menu to attract more local diners says he isn't too proud. I'm sure it wasn't his life's ambition to run a pub, but he got his hands dirty and did what was necessary when his posh food was failing financially.

Good Luck to him, and considering it was "just" fish and chips and burger and chips, it did look really nice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact he did change his menu to attract more local diners says he isn't too proud. I'm sure it wasn't his life's ambition to run a pub, but he got his hands dirty and did what was necessary when his posh food was failing financially.

Good Luck to him, and considering it was "just" fish and chips and burger and chips, it did look really nice!

It looked good but you could fair hear his voice dripping with contempt at what he`d been forced to do.
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that the fixed 18-course taster menu at The French has an in-built problem in that you'd be unlikely to build a loyal customer base. Why would you go back to a restaurant where you'd always get the same things? Particularly if you'd not enjoyed one or two of the courses.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »
    It seems to me that the fixed 18-course taster menu at The French has an in-built problem in that you'd be unlikely to build a loyal customer base. Why would you go back to a restaurant where you'd always get the same things? Particularly if you'd not enjoyed one or two of the courses.

You don't always get the same things. The taster menus change regularly and with seasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That pair who dropped £500 a week in the old French were quite a sight. He looked like he`d eat anything and all she seemed to want was grilled tuna!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    That pair who dropped £500 a week in the old French were quite a sight. He looked like he`d eat anything and all she seemed to want was grilled tuna!

She was so off her face she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between foie gras and a turd if they were put in front of her.
  • opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very surprised at how the programme described Manchester almost as a foodie desert - even though it may not have Michelin stars, there is mary Ellen McTague at Aumbry just outside the city centre. Harvey Nics I'm sure has had a Michelin starred chef recently and then there's the fantastic Damson and Michael Caines at Abode - not quite the gastronomic wilderness the programme is trying to suggest.

I also think the good burghers of Manchester can live without Simon Rogan's ox in coal oil - sounds a bit like the Emporer's new clothes to me - though I haven't yet tasted it and I'm not sure I want to!
  • jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was so off her face she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between foie gras and a turd if they were put in front of her.

She was a very sour piece of work. All the sophistication of an Aldi ready meal eaten while sipping Tennents Pils through a straw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jg. wrote: »
    All the sophistication of an Aldi ready meal eaten while sipping Tennents Pils through a straw.

Quality description. :D
  • JayneykulJayneykul Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    We have eaten at Simon Rogan L'Enclume and the French they are both fabulous! Havent tried Manchester House yet. What puts me off is its in an office block on the 12 floor and you have to get past a concierge to get in (feels like going in to work to me) the taster menu is also £95 per head
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She was a very sour piece of work. All the sophistication of an Aldi ready meal eaten while sipping Tennents Pils through a straw.

:D Wow there's an image to scar the mind.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    She sounded like a petulant child.

All she goes there for for 40 years is smoked salmon and omlette?
    Chist! live a little.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    opal88 wrote: »
    I was very surprised at how the programme described Manchester almost as a foodie desert - even though it may not have Michelin stars, there is mary Ellen McTague at Aumbry just outside the city centre. Harvey Nics I'm sure has had a Michelin starred chef recently and then there's the fantastic Damson and Michael Caines at Abode - not quite the gastronomic wilderness the programme is trying to suggest.

I also think the good burghers of Manchester can live without Simon Rogan's ox in coal oil - sounds a bit like the Emporer's new clothes to me - though I haven't yet tasted it and I'm not sure I want to!

Manchester has some very fine restaurants in and out of city centre as you seem to know yourself.
    It was a silly comment that the commenter said about people 'up north' not spending that type of money.
    I am sure there is a restaurant in Cartmel in the NW that is ranked number one now with The Fat Duck being number two.
    Just seen that the restaurant I was referring to in Cartmel is owned by Simon Rogan.
    We were booked in there once for a business meal, but I cancelled due to illness.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester has some very fine restaurants in and out of city centre as you seem to know yourself.
    It was a silly comment that the commenter said about people 'up north' not spending that type of money.
    I am sure there is a restaurant in Cartmel in the NW that is ranked number one now with The Fat Duck being number tow.
    Just seen that the restaurant I was referring to in Cartmel is owned by Simon Rogan.
    We were booked in there once for a business meal, but I cancelled due to illness.

That comment was very London centric and did the program no favors. Given that one of the two chefs was based in 'the north', it sounded stupid as soon as they said it.
    Forum Member
    Just dawned on me that the owner is a spit of Piers Morgan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the guys working with Aiden Byrne hasn't a clue what he's talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simon Rogan is an ass
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just dawned on me that the owner is a spit of Piers Morgan.

And as much of a dick :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just wanna punch that guy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How does he expect inexperienced young chefs to work in a Michelin starred restaurant.
    Forum Member
    And as much of a dick :D
    The owner seems to know what he's doing and it's his money.

It's his right hand man - chef advisor? - that seems to be out of touch with the standards and food they need to be producing.