R.I.P. Robert Sherman

sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surprised there's not a thread on this already about the passing of Robert B. Sherman aged 86, one of the legendary Sherman Brothers who wrote many famous songs for movies and theme parks.

Mostly they're known for being connected with Disney having written songs for The Parent Trap, The Sword In The Stone, Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Winnie The Pooh as well as the songs heard in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and The Magic of Lassie.

They also wrote the songs "It's A Small World" and "One Little Spark", "The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" and "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" heard in Disney theme parks across the world.

R.I.P. :cry:

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Thats sad - RIP :cry:
    I loved Mary Poppins and The Sword in the Stone :)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    He (and his brother) wrote the songs of my childhood.

Hell, I still sing some of them regularly to this day.

R.I.P. Robert, your songs were truly scrumptious!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Robert. a very talented man
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P.

A great talent whose songs will live on for generations to come.

Feed the Birds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwU_oS2ErQ
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    R.I.P.

A great talent whose songs will live on for generations to come.

Feed the Birds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwU_oS2ErQ

:cry:
    Walt's favourite song in the film - apparently, for the rest of his life, whenever he would say "Play it", they knew that he wanted to hear "Feed the Birds".
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    :cry:
    Walt's favourite song in the film - apparently, for the rest of his life, whenever he would say "Play it", they knew that he wanted to hear "Feed the Birds".

I remember that story from the documentary about Mary Poppins. It's a beautiful, magical song that still hypnotizes me as much as it did when I watched as a kid. I also recall a bird flying down during a performance of the song and the Sherman Brothers said it was Walt.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember seeing The Jungle Book in lounge cinema Leeds as a little boy ..... The Bear Necessities. Excellent.