WWE Network

Comments

• dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    It shouldnt be one rule for one person and another rule for someone else. If the word is offensive it should be offensive and shouldnt be used from ethnic backgrounds.

Im suprised how JBL back in 2004 - 2005 got away with doing the Nazi salute in WWE and got away with it.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldnt be one rule for one person and another rule for someone else. If the word is offensive it should be offensive and shouldnt be used from ethnic backgrounds.

Im suprised how JBL back in 2004 - 2005 got away with doing the Nazi salute in WWE and got away with it.

But the context is totally different depending on who is saying it.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member

Again, context is very important
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    But the context is totally different depending on who is saying it.

Not really. The word is still being said. Look at the start of GTA 5.
    Forum Member
    Not really. The word is still being said. Look at the start of GTA 5.

But the intent is different. Hogan was using that word in a derogatory manner. That is the difference. Surely anybody can understand that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually read Hogan's matches will be left on the Network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A heads up for those with an Android Box or who use Kodi on a PC the Network is now on there as an addon.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Language is far too nuanced for universal rules like this to work. Context and intention changes the meaning of words. In the right context with the right intention a term of endearment can become incredibly offensive and vice versa. The notion that no one should use a word because it is forever and always offensive simply doesn't match with the reality of language or how it works. Hogan's problem here isn't simply that he used the n-word but the context and intention of that use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually read Hogan's matches will be left on the Network.
    The logistics of trying to remove them would be more trouble than its worth at this point. Also if they can live with Chris Benoit PPV matches being on the Network I think they can live with Hogan matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly and as much as what both did were wrong to expect us just to forget they existed is ridiculous.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Language is far too nuanced for universal rules like this to work. Context and intention changes the meaning of words. In the right context with the right intention a term of endearment can become incredibly offensive and vice versa. The notion that no one should use a word because it is forever and always offensive simply doesn't match with the reality of language or how it works. Hogan's problem here isn't simply that he used the n-word but the context and intention of that use.

I'd still have a problem with 'where' Hogan used the words. If he spoke like that during a radio interview or an interview with a magazine, then I'd say throw the book at him and he deserves everything he gets.

Saying those words during a private conversation that was never meant to be heard by anyone is a little more problematic though. There's no doubt he intended the words to be racist and even admitted during the conversation what he was saying was racist but it's just a complete fluke that we got to hear an audio recording of it (eight years later). I suppose the problem for him is that his language was so strong and over the top : he could have made the same points without resorting to racist slurs.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does everyone think of this?
    WWE are surveying fans if they’d be interested in buying WWE Network pay per view shows at a $4.99 cost, reports PWInsider. The survey has been sent out to fans who cancelled their Network subscription. If the service launched, fans would be able to pay just for the monthly specials, saving money on the full Network subscription.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-network-offering-4-99-ppv-only-subscription.php
    Forum Member
    Not a bad idea in theory. Of course they could end up shooting themselves in the foot. I'd still keep the $9.99 sub but I'm sure a lot of people would just cancel it.

Didn't realise the number comes out on Thursday either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a bad idea in theory.

Only if they can get enough extra subscribers to cover the loss caused by people ditching the $9.99 subscription to get PPV only.

I'm not sure I like the idea myself as it could mean WWE would basically ignore the archive and not add much content if a lot of people switch to the PPV only subscription.
  • Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id more be interested in 2003 time. Benoit was on Smackdown then so Raw would be pretty safe and we would get HBK/HHH on Raw when Austin came back in full HD glory.

What a great time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had a Mick Foley special not long ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a great time!

I know some on here don't agree, but I liked WWE in 2003.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some on here don't agree, but I liked WWE in 2003.

I did to. The talent was changing but it was top performances still.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did to. The talent was changing but it was top performances still.

Austin and Bischoff were really good together as co-GM's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PROVOKE ME!

"If you think that it's wronG that Stone Cold Steve Austin can't whoop noodies ass then give me a hell yes!"

(WHAT!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad idea in theory...
    I think its a pretty terrible idea particularly at that price point.

Offering the Pay-Per-View content at a stand alone price that's cheaper than the Network is just asking for trouble and immediately undermines one of the big selling points they've hammered home for the Network thus far – that the PPV content is cheaper if you just subscribe to the Network instead. But even at a higher price point I'm not sure I see it as an especially good idea. If you want to drive people to the Network discounting the price of the PPV content seems like a poor way to do it.

I suspect the better service to offer might be something like a 'weekend pass' for the Network. I'm thinking something broadly in line with the Sky Sports pack that Sky offer for Now TV where you can get access to the sports channels via Now TV for a limited window. Perhaps offering fans the chance to purchase a temporary pass for the Network during the weekend of a big show (I'm thinking just the big 4 at most but would be inclined to say just WrestleMania and SummerSlam) isn't a bad option and they can then pitch it more broadly as an ad for the Network itself since you'd have access to the full range of content and get a hands on experience of what the whole thing is about and perhaps then be more tempted to take up a full subscription. I'd also say the service should, at the very least, be offered at the same price as the Network itself if not a little bit more (to highlight that the Network is better value and drive consumers there).
    Forum Member
    I was thinking it was a good idea because of the PPV Pass for those who won't use the network for archive footage. For example, your kid likes WWE but wouldn't sit and watch anything other than the PPV on the network. People might not want to pay $10 but may pay $5. I Don't agree with dropping the price that low but maybe drop it by $1. Then they can say "for just $1 more, you can access NXT, exclusive network shows and our vast and expanding archive content" or similar.

This is all coming out because of speculation of a drastic drop in subs since Mania which I can imagine happening to some extent come Thursday. But then I'm sure most places speculated that the number would drop from Mania XXX announced figures to the following quarter update and it grew a small amount.
    Forum Member
    But the intent is different. Hogan was using that word in a derogatory manner. That is the difference. Surely anybody can understand that?

Not really. In GTA its used in a derogatory manner even though its part of a story with a script and Hogans was just a leaked conversation.

What about subscribers who havent cancelled?
    Again, context is very important

How? JBL did the salute in a ring on a house show in Germany! Someone did that in the street there and they would be arrested.
    Forum Member
    What a great time!

HBK/HHH was one of my favourite matches from 2003 and it was pretty lengthy too when Bisch ran down tried to act neutral at the end only to screw HBK and Austin returned. Raw that year I remember had some good stuff.

I know, as a fan what I read at the time made me mad on Austin for wanting a break otherwise Austin would have raised hell after Survivor Series and beat up who he wanted without any warnings.
    Forum Member
    dave_windows;79107837]Not really. In GTA its used in a derogatory manner even though its part of a story with a script and Hogans was just a leaked conversation.[/url]

Exactly, it's fictional. It's a story, a character, it's scripted. Terry Bollea made those comments not as a story, not in a character, unscripted. I simply do not believe you don't understand the difference between a video game and an actual racist rant.
    How? JBL did the salute in a ring on a house show in Germany! Someone did that in the street there and they would be arrested.

I've changed my mind, you actually don't get it do you?