Options

now tv monthly pass

Comments

• Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    It's fantastic value for those who want sports without any of the other TV bundles required via satellite.
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    It's fantastic value for those who want sports without any of the other TV bundles required via satellite.

No its not, its £25.50 on satellite. They should offer it cheaper on IPTV boxes as the quality and service isn't guaranteed like Freeview or Satellite. Sky Sports has always been a rip off on Now TV compared to other formats.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »
    No its not, its £25.50 on satellite. They should offer it cheaper on IPTV boxes as the quality and service isn't guaranteed like Freeview or Satellite. Sky Sports has always been a rip off on Now TV compared to other formats.
    It isn't £25.50 at all you have to at least take the Original bundle priced at £20 meaning the entry price into Sky Sports on satellite is £45.50. The Now TV monthly pass offers a cheaper option for those users happy to stay with Freeview £31.99 as opposed to £45.50.
  • Options
    jrmich9jrmich9 Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the Sky Go Monthly ticket option has been withdrawn - that pricing was £15 a month for a much wider Entertainment pack than Now TV offers. Then it was £35 for Entertainment and Sky Sports, and I believe £40 for Ent, Sports and Movies.

If the £31.99 also covered the Now TV Entertainment pack as well, then that would be tempting. Solely for Sports with no recording it seems quite pricey...AND they will have to provide 100% problem free coverage at that premium price.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they could do a "Sports Only But No Premiership Football" for even less (£15/m) they could have my money right now.
  • Options
    Trainer99Trainer99 Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    duffman25 wrote: »

If you don't want to pay £32 for it - then don't.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did notice on the website that you can get a weekly pass for £10.99 for Sky Sports. That means during the footie season you will be able to watch a couple of matches quite cheaply. I hope I am right about this, any comments?
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    jrmich9 wrote: »

If the £31.99 also covered the Now TV Entertainment pack as well, then that would be tempting. Solely for Sports with no recording it seems quite pricey...AND they will have to provide 100% problem free coverage at that premium price.

I like international cricket and Formula One so the Now TV service is very useful to me. Will be buying week passes for the first three tests and maybe a month pass to cover last two and Italian GP.

As I watch some things on a 1080 projector with a big screen I really need HD. I have some Apple TV boxes which are the only ones which actually do live stuff in HD, which is at 720 but is adequate.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

To get HD sport on Sky satellite you need to buy the Family pack as well as the sport, which is £66.75 a month.

I've watched many hours since I got the system and the quality has been faultless so far. Though I suspect that the 720p Apple live streams are fed from separate servers, probably paid for by Apple.

Reports of the SD service I've seen have been mixed.
  • Options
    JimezJimez Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Live coverage of standard definition on PS4, it's much higher quality than SD. I watched the last series of Game of Thrones via NowTV and it was clearly 720p quality in comparision to SD i got on Sky
  • Options
    davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    yeah, its a bit steep, £31.99 i sub to Virgin media and the whole idea of having a now tv box as i could get a week pass for 10.99 say for darts as most of these are 8 days i don't mind missing a day and it enable me to save on buying a month via virgin at around £30 quid,

so for me the idea for a month pass good, but not at this price, i would very much prefer just to buy access for just one event, like darts and that's it, i'm sure they have to tech to do it, and sky are missing out as not everyone likes football, or cricket etc...

but i like F1 darts and wwe and would be happy to pay for just this,
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »
    As already mentioned, that £25.50 is a bit misleading as you need to have a base package which brings up the price. This means it is cheaper than via satellite, and unless someone shows me an alternative (and I certainly welcome that) the cheapest way to watch Sky Sports.

As for video quality, it is true that online delivery still has improvements that need to be made. I watch live TV exclusively through the Internet these days, and I rarely have an issue with Now TV anymore (it used to be quite common, but things have improved dramatically). That said, unfortunately during the biggest events, the quality can drop due to excessive traffic (the least time you want this to happen). But this will no doubt eventually go away as well.

As for Satellite TV being always perfect, it may have been for you, but not for me. Instead of bandwidth issues, my problem was related to weather. If there were strong winds, snow or driving rain, I also experienced problems that were no much different to the Internet ones, and sometimes resulted in a complete loss of picture.
    jrmich9 wrote: »
    Interesting that the Sky Go Monthly ticket option has been withdrawn - that pricing was £15 a month for a much wider Entertainment pack than Now TV offers. Then it was £35 for Entertainment and Sky Sports, and I believe £40 for Ent, Sports and Movies.
    It is sad this is gone for OTT customers. It was cheaper, but it lacked a couple of things that Now TV had - video quality was generally lower than Now TV and it had horrific platform support. Still, it was indeed cheaper and offered more channels on the Entertainment package.
    howard h wrote: »
    If they could do a "Sports Only But No Premiership Football" for even less (£15/m) they could have my money right now.
    This is a great idea!

While I was going on above about how much better value Now TV's Monthly pass is, the fact remains that £32 is still expensive for just sports, and most of this comes from that EPL deal they keep making. Unfortunately, they rely on everyone paying for that, including those who don't even watch sports- (they recently increased prices for non sports packages to cover the new costs).
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I did notice on the website that you can get a weekly pass for £10.99 for Sky Sports. That means during the footie season you will be able to watch a couple of matches quite cheaply. I hope I am right about this, any comments?
    You are right. There is a weekly pass and even a ridiculously expensive daily pass. The weekly and monthly are better value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I like international cricket and Formula One so the Now TV service is very useful to me. Will be buying week passes for the first three tests and maybe a month pass to cover last two and Italian GP.

As I watch some things on a 1080 projector with a big screen I really need HD. I have some Apple TV boxes which are the only ones which actually do live stuff in HD, which is at 720 but is adequate.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

To get HD sport on Sky satellite you need to buy the Family pack as well as the sport, which is £66.75 a month.

I've watched many hours since I got the system and the quality has been faultless so far. Though I suspect that the 720p Apple live streams are fed from separate servers, probably paid for by Apple.

Reports of the SD service I've seen have been mixed.

Actually, the Apple TV is not the only HD feed despite their website saying so. Perhaps they are testing it on other platforms before they officially announce it.

See the test results on this review (averaged over a half hour). The graph shows the Apple TV averaging 3870kbps, Roku at 3705kbps and the Xbox One averaging 3740kbps, which are effectively all 720p HD.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the weekly pass for three days now and streaming it through the NOW app on my LG (39").
    Yesterday a relative came round who has the Sky satellite HD sport, and watching a few overs of the cricket he remarked "I didn't know you had Sky".
    "I don't, that's Now TV's streaming service".
    His jaw dropped when I told him the monthly price, and how good the picture was, and I think he'ss drop Sky and go to Now as he isn't interested in the so-called "entertainment" package.
    If there are many doing that, I wonder if Sky will either allow a simple sports-only sub on Satellite, or more likely bump the prices up on NOW to the same level as the minimum requirement on satellite.
    If they did the latter that will naff off those like myself who are subbing via NOW but would never sub to the main service.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I don't know if I dreamed it on not, but I have a fairly strong memory of somebody on the radio or possibly on the Now TV cricket channel this morning saying that people who bought the monthly pass would get streaming rates of 7Mbps. As an insomniac during the night I do tend to drift off in the mornings.

Now I don't usually have dreams which are as technical as that. :) Though I haven't heard it repeated and can't find anything on the internet about it.

A better service might make more go for the monthly pass, which if you don't cancel automatically repeats for the following month - obviously Sky would prefer that. :D

Has anyone else heard the same thing - or am I going nuts ?? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting thing. I believe that you saw this, but I am currently testing it on my Apple TV (which allows for 1080p) and I'm not seeing anything in the live Sports streams that differs. My tests are seeing around 4Mbps, which is the same as usual.

I have the monthly pass currently active.

I'm doing a longer burn-in, and I can post my test results in a graph later if you like... (with comparisons to how it was a few months ago)