Options

channels on Freesat which could come to Freeview?

clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Out of interest which channels of "decent" interest are on Freesat but not Freeview these days?

I'm just interested how likely it is that Freeview will get some new offerings?

Comments

• Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True Drama, True Movies, CBS Drama and BET are arguably the biggest ones, along with some of the not-yet-on-Freesat likes of Talking Pictures and Property Show. Beyond that, you're looking at a suite of nationality services (Colors, Zing et al), shopping channels and such. In terms of radio, the biggest stations on Sky/FS but not on Freeview include Xfm, Gold, Planet Rock, Absolute 80s and Capital Xtra.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True Drama, True Movies, CBS Drama and BET are arguably the biggest ones, along with some of the not-yet-on-Freesat likes of Talking Pictures and Property Show. Beyond that, you're looking at a suite of nationality services (Colors, Zing et al), shopping channels and such. In terms of radio, the biggest stations on Sky/FS but not on Freeview include Xfm, Gold, Planet Rock, Absolute 80s and Capital Xtra.

True and CBS channels could easily buy cheap space on COM8, likely they would launch in 544*576 with a bitrate of about 700Kbs in MPEG4/AVC/h.264 of course!
    That would increase their coverage quite a bit.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting how the gap has closed between the two platforms.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showbiz TV filmon TV and some of the music channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It's interesting how the gap has closed between the two platforms.

Your right although the quality is much much poorer on freeview in general than freesat, expect for PSBs where there is at least some regulations!
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that's a big point. Having some extra resolution and bitrate on many of the Freesat channels makes quite a difference.

I find sports watchable on ITV4 on Freesat, but on Freeview it's just awful. BBC red button is always better on satellite too. There's also some handy +1's on Freesat, which aren't available on freeview.
  • Options
    ally8971ally8971 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I think I can live with a little less resolution but have Quest Dave and Yesterday which Rupert Murdoch won't allow on freesat...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally8971 wrote: »
    I think I can live with a little less resolution but have Quest Dave and Yesterday which Rupert Murdoch won't allow on freesat...

It probably wouldn't have been the case if freesat and tight UK beams existed in 1998.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    It probably wouldn't have been the case if freesat and tight UK beams existed in 1998.

Probably would, as it's probably more a case of the money generated helping to fund the Freeview services.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member

Won't be long before Rupe owns Freeview ,ITV and the Beeb .
    His best buddy , call me Dave is all for the free market ,and benefiting hard working people.
    Isn't he wonderful , done a great job with the utilities .
    The only thing standing in his way is Ofcom who believe in competition and no monopolies .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness the gap is closing and Freeview would win out viewers wise over dsat - problem is that it doesn't seem tbst many stations are rushing to fill up the com 8 space.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is best.....
    Depends on if your in a zone which receives all the freeview channels.
    If your not (like me), freesat or sky are the superior options.
    I think the the current front page splash on the freeview web site saying "you can watch over 60 TV channels" is a poke in the face if you don't know how it works (non uniform service) and u discover your not living in a zone which gets all the channels.

Freesat sd pic quality still has the edge over freeview HD as well.
  • Options
    ally8971ally8971 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    Freesat sd pic quality still has the edge over freeview HD as well.

I think NOT ! The picture quality of my Freeview HD Box on an HD Channel is even better than my Virgin Tivo Box on an HD Channel...
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the radio side of things, Planet Rock would be good (in stereo with a reasonable bitrate of course).
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think NOT ! The picture quality of my Freeview HD Box on an HD Channel is even better than my Virgin Tivo Box on an HD Channel...

Sorry, my iPad auto corrected..
    Freesat sd V freeview sd
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please ... no more channels!
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I find sports watchable on ITV4 on Freesat, but on Freeview it's just awful. BBC red button is always better on satellite too. There's also some handy +1's on Freesat, which aren't available on freeview.

Probably down to your crud equipment ... Is it Humax?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I find sports watchable on ITV4 on Freesat, but on Freeview it's just awful.
    I have been watching the Tour de France highlights on ITV4 Freeview and the quality has been fine. The only times it has been problematical has been when they have had a problem with the moto-helicopter uplink.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

CBS Drama have just obtained a licence from Ofcom to broadcast on DTT ;)
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind VintageTV, Kerrang TV and Scuzz being on Freeview.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Probably down to your crud equipment ... Is it Humax?
    It looks crap through a set top box set to 1080i and through the tv's own tuner at 576i.

The crud here isn't the box, it's the low resolution and bitrate of the channel when trying to cope with sports content.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind VintageTV, Kerrang TV and Scuzz being on Freeview.
    Vintage TV and Kerrang TV are already available on compatible internet-connected HD receivers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice chart show TV is in Manchester, I wonder if they would consider com7 /8 as an option to get wider coverage?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    I notice chart show TV is in Manchester, I wonder if they would consider com7 /8 as an option to get wider coverage?

What would be the point?, Freesat already had far greater coverage at a fraction of the cost - Com7/8 would cost a great deal more, and provide no increase in coverage.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would be the point?, Freesat already had far greater coverage at a fraction of the cost - Com7/8 would cost a great deal more, and provide no increase in coverage.

Geographically no increase .. Number of receivers a great increase ..

On the original points there will be more DTT space at DSO 2 when com7 and8 close