Options

For the Love of Cars

Comments

• Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost faith when they did up the Saab. They found it in Scotland so did a tartan interior to "go with the cars history". The fact that the car had a Gloucestershire registration went un-noticed!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    It was hard to get excited about a transit van from the start. One white van looks much like another apart from the front. The owner had not had it for any meaningful time to count as serious attachment and to him it was just another piece of clutter he wanted a fast buck on I suspect. Cannot believe the show took him up on it.

This particular programme began to raise a few thoughts. We did indeed see very little of any restoration. When it ended I tried to think when they showed the van being paint sprayed and am sure it wasn't even shown. If it was I must have blinked. I genuinely have my doubts about the integrity of whether this really was the original van we saw as a wreck at the start. Maybe nothing apart from the actual engine was original by the end? So many questions were left unanswered. Clearly it was a total write off that nobody spending their own money would restore because it would only be a large loss. They admitted it in as many words at one point. I would have quite liked to know just how much the programme spent restoring the van into its pristine state. No answer to that. Just why was so little of the renovation actually shown in any meaningful detail beyond a very superficial piece of metal and a weld, and clipping a hubcap on a wheel, plus a front light hanging off with wiring? Something about it did not quite seem right to me or entirely authentic.

The auction appears at the end of each episode. Clearly all the vehicles in the series were placed at that same auction on the same day and all the former owners were there together. Fair enough, but at the start of each programme when they get hold of a vehicle for renovation exactly the same thing is stated in each case - that they have 10 weeks to get it ready and done up for auction. This series is 8 shows in length, so 8 vehicles to be done. They have all clearly been done at about the same time and not worked on in isolation one at a time. So we have a rather big fib being played out with the co-presenter Ant who we are meant to believe is toiling away day after day with these restorations. He's doing no such thing apart from film a couple of shots for TV to make it appear as if he is actually part of the restoration process. The work is clearly being done by many other hard working people with this cheeky guy appearing to take all the credit at the end.

I didn't see the first series but began watching this one a few weeks ago but the more I've watched the more I've become aware that it's not all it seems at face value, and that van was a clear example.
    I watched the Transit episode last night and was going to post the exact same about the timeframe as i've also clocked that they say 8 to 10 weeks at the start of each episode and the auction must be either the same day or weekend.

I honestly didn't mind them branching out a little this series showing other models or innovations inbetween the restoration of a specific model but they have lost the plot in some instances - like with the tanks/armoured vehicles and the bubble cars which weren't bubble cars at all.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    able1 wrote: »
    He proudly announced at the start of the first series he only possessed a licence for automatics. Not really a car fanatic then.

Yes, that's the point, Ant is the car fanatic and Philip is meant to represent the view of the average person. I think the problem is that the show is now targeted at non-car enthusiasts to an even greater degree, so that next to nothing of the restoration is shown.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Yes, that's the point, Ant is the car fanatic and Philip is meant to represent the view of the average person. I think the problem is that the show is now targeted at non-car enthusiasts to an even greater degree, so that next to nothing of the restoration is shown.

We're on to the second series and this is still some kind of 'point' Glenister hasn't pretended to be any kind of expert or car fanatic at any point.
    He's the Casual., the bloke down the pub, which will be most of the audience.

It's always been poor for the restoration bits, I don't think it's changed in that respect.
    It's gone all over the shop in this series though, contentwise, rambling unfocused.

I stopped getting annoyed about this program with the first series.
    Now people are getting silly looking for 'shenanigans'
  • Options
    Forum Member

delete
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the VW Beetle ep n noticed Drew Pritchard was bidding on it.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    As predicted by yours truly in an earlier post:
    I wonder what Drew Pritchard and his wife were bidding on?

The camera went on them a few times.
    ntscuser wrote: »
    There's a VW Beetle featured in a later episode, it may have been that? Drew is known to be interested in Beetles.

:D
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I hate Beetles.

I used to quite like them but enough is enough.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I've now tired of this programme rather quicker than expected. Scraping the barrel would be more appropriate now and Glenister is annoying. I rather see footage of restoration procedures and craftsmanship and not a lot of shilly-shallying around.
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Beetles.

I used to quite like them but enough is enough.

Well said.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not a bit surprising that the VW Beetle design did not become a kind of pariah considering that it eminates from the evil Nazi Germany regime and they showed that Hitler actually did a sketch which resembled the very car. Although I'm not sure he's actually credited with its design in any way, surely? The VW does not seem tainted by such a strong association with the Nazi Germany of the 1930's.

I also noticed that the renovated VW was bought by the same guy as on a couple of previous shows this series.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not a bit surprising that the VW Beetle design did not become a kind of pariah considering that it eminates from the evil Nazi Germany regime and they showed that Hitler actually did a sketch which resembled the very car. Although I'm not sure he's actually credited with its design in any way, surely? The VW does not seem tainted by such a strong association with the Nazi Germany of the 1930's.

I also noticed that the renovated VW was bought by the same guy as on a couple of previous shows this series.
    It became the biggest selling foreign car in Israel in the 60's so I wouldn't worry. Ferdinand Porsche was the designer, not Hitler. I wouldn't mind owning a restored example again, but far too many have been molested by some spotty muppet and turned into a juke box on wheels.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

design for vw beetle was an evolution of a Tatra design from Czechoslovakia... wasn't even German
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought this was gonna be a thread about the weirdo who sh*gs cars
  • Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a baby and can't afford/have time to do up the car, no sh*t Sherlock!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    This series is rubbish compared to the previous one.

We haven't seen inside an engine yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Absolutely. It has become like Top Gear.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The air cooled engine episode has had the least restoration footage so far. Close to zero.

And the back story of the previous owner was rubbish too. The series now just seems to be making money for people who bought an old car but couldn't be bothered to restore it.

This one and the transit owner only deserved to be paid the value of the pre restored vehicle, not the auction price. The guy that wanted to buy an engagement ring was borderline.

They should go back to the series 1 script. I end up screaming at the TV when they bring the old owner back to look at the finished restoration. They pretend the old owner has some long attachment to the vehicle when all they did was buy a wreck and leave it on the drive for a couple of years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This one and the transit owner only deserved to be paid the value of the pre restored vehicle, not the auction price.

I'm dubious about the "£1500" they claimed the VW wreck was worth too. The only part worth salvaging as far as I could see was the engine. Maybe I'm out-of-touch?:confused:

At least they didn't commit the cardinal sin of putting a water-cooled engine in it.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I'm dubious about the "£1500" they claimed the VW wreck was worth too. The only part worth salvaging as far as I could see was the engine. Maybe I'm out-of-touch?:confused:

At least they didn't commit the cardinal sin of putting a water-cooled engine in it.:o
    The end result was of a rather tarted up car and to me the suspension looked lowered but I'm not sure. It annoys me that we see very little of the car's actual restoration.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's become more "Car Restoration SOS" with varying levels of sob story as to why it should be fixed

I still enjoy it, although agree they should go back to the Series 1 script. I'd like to see more of the restoration
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And how many of the cars have been bought by the "Asian property developer" ? At least two... a very strong coincidence methinks.

Fair point about it becoming "Car Restoration SOS" ; too much dilly-dallying about (like driving the camper down to Devon) and not enough mechanicals and restoration.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    It's become more "Car Restoration SOS" with varying levels of sob story as to why it should be fixed

I still enjoy it, although agree they should go back to the Series 1 script. I'd like to see more of the restoration
    And how many of the cars have been bought by the "Asian property developer" ? At least two... a very strong coincidence methinks.

Fair point about it becoming "Car Restoration SOS" ; too much dilly-dallying about (like driving the camper down to Devon) and not enough mechanicals and restoration.
    I watched an episode of that yesterday and although they showed some restoration the end result seemed to be a lick of paint, a few new parts, but generally still a rust bucket underneath.

The nice part of this series, or at least series 1, was that Ant is a top end bespoke restorer and takes a lot of pride in his work and you see that when they strip the car down to individual components and clean, replace or replace anything needed making the restored vehicle look brand new, inside and out (and underneath and other places you can't usually see).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I watched an episode of that yesterday and although they showed some restoration the end result seemed to be a lick of paint, a few new parts, but generally still a rust bucket underneath.

The nice part of this series, or at least series 1, was that Ant is a top end bespoke restorer and takes a lot of pride in his work and you see that when they strip the car down to individual components and clean, replace or replace anything needed making the restored vehicle look brand new, inside and out (and underneath and other places you can't usually see).

Car SOS it's not a rust bucket underneath, you can see the restoration work they do.
    Gawd knows what program you're watching.
    Bugger knows a 'bespoke restorer' is when it's at home too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Except that Ant didn't do this particular restoration, hence his disclaimer.

These people did it:

http://www.type2detectives.com/gallery/tv-beetle/