Options

For the Love of Cars

Comments

• Options
    gary217gary217 Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If the post above yours is true then it's not that likely

You tempted me to click on the spoiler and I see what you mean :o ...now scouring fleabay for a Series 1 land rover!!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    I have to agree. That bit about autos just seemed bizarre. He does come across as rather plodding and his comments all seem a bit laconic, almost disinterested, whilst the mechanic guy is lacking that little touch of charisma you need for TV.

I know Classic Car Rescue is a different show entirely but Bernie and Mario's banter and enthusiasm is far more infectious and comes across better.

That said, I have been enjoying FTLOC but more for the cars themselves and the restoration than what the presenters bring to it.

Have to disagree about Bernie and Mario or Bernie and Leepoo (sp), banter and pretty much everything else comes over as manufactured/heightened reality.
    Watch their shows, despite all three of them.
    I their SL resto this week, their first resto car was 'scrapped' but despite that it was still hanging about as a parts donor.

I've noticed Ant's team don't a namecheck, mention at the thank you's and good job stage, they're just 'there'
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gary217 wrote: »
    You tempted me to click on the spoiler and I see what you mean :o ...now scouring fleabay for a Series 1 land rover!!
    No need to 'scour'. I found a few within seconds earlier today and picked this one out at just £8,250.

All pretty much in good original condition throughout. Most it needs to bring it up to the standard of the one on the show is a respray (easy to coach paint a LR actually which would cost very little), and if really fussy, an engine refurb.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Glenister sounded bored for most of the episode.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the Stag. I know it has a dreadful reputation because of the engine, but I've heard this has been overstated. My first two cars were Triumph Heralds and I still own a Triumph GT6. Triumph made beautiful cars.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,593
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to the Stag. I know it has a dreadful reputation because of the engine, but I've heard this has been overstated. My first two cars were Triumph Heralds and I still own a Triumph GT6. Triumph made beautiful cars.

We had a Triumph Vitesse Convertible. It was just like a little Rolls Royce to drive. Beautiful car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    We had a Triumph Vitesse Convertible. It was just like a little Rolls Royce to drive. Beautiful car.

My dad had a Vitesse, which is why I got a Herald when I turned 17. I knew it was the sort of car you could tinker with and keep on the road without huge garage bills. Being able to sit on the front wheel to work on the engine or front suspension was a genius idea.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the comparison with Classic Car Rescue - the two guys on that are complete wazzocks impossible to watch them yelling at each other like fishwives with spanners. Glennisters appeal is that is the "everyman" who thinks he knows best and then sees he in fact doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Re the comparison with Classic Car Rescue - the two guys on that are complete wazzocks impossible to watch them yelling at each other like fishwives with spanners. Glennisters appeal is that is the "everyman" who thinks he knows best and then sees he in fact doesn't.

I hope he doesn't play that part every week, it was funny the first time but already a cliché when he was going on about zebra stripes on the LR.

What next, a Rover V8 for the Stag?
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what people have been doing since about 1972 (!) so I imagine so, dropping in the in-house straight six (which was the original idea) would be fairly pointless in such a car after the fact. Everyone knows the Buick block is a great engine with more beans.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he doesn't play that part every week, it was funny the first time but already a cliché when he was going on about zebra stripes on the LR.

Ermmm isn't that what Stags need to have, even back in the seventies the Triumph v8 was a heap of .........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Ermmm isn't that what Stags need to have, even back in the seventies the Triumph v8 was a heap of .........

They need it as much as a Mexico needs extra headlamps or a Landy needs zebra stripes. There are plenty of Stags with an original Triumph engine still running, they just need monitoring a little more often than most people can be bothered to do.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,500
    Forum Member
    They need it as much as a Mexico needs extra headlamps or a Landy needs zebra stripes. There are plenty of Stags with an original Triumph engine still running, they just need monitoring a little more often than most people can be bothered to do.

Yes, I've heard a properly sorted V8 is no bother at all, and Rover V8s are seen as rather infra dig.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »

I agree. I thought it was a bit laughable trying to be a hard man car conisseure with all those real enthusiasts.

Just because he had a role in a tv show where the cars were drooled over by some of the fans it doesn't mean he knows anything about them.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Triumph Stag.

BMW own the rights to the Triumph brand & I think they should resurrect it with a modern version of the Stag.

I think it would be a success, as people will buy anything with a BMW badge or BMW connections.

They've made a huge success with MINI, even though they've stretched the credibility of MINI by producing some portly & gruesome looking versions, but they still sell.

I think with the right vision, they could resurrect the Triumph Stag.
  • Options
    porkensteinporkenstein Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Before my time but i like the tr4 over the stag
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's this rubbish with the sound studio!

And why is that actor playing the same character he played in that TV show? He kind of spoils the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should put a modern engine in the stag instead trying to fix the old one. Stag engines were crap, even from new!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy spent 1000 man hours rebuilding that engine!!!!!!
    That's 50 - 100k worth of man time in any garage!
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    What's this rubbish with the sound studio!

And why is that actor playing the same character he played in that TV show? He kind of spoils the show.

Philip Glenister's in it, because with all the women watching he's probably doubled the ratings :D

Brilliant episode, I really loved it !
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    BL should have put the Rover V8 in the Stag from the very beginning.

It was a proven engine that BL already owned and used in their Rovers.

British Leyland: Chronicle of a Car Crash is a great book about the trials & tribulations of BL from '68 to '78. It has a chapter on the Stag.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointing series. Its almost as bad as that dross Five recommissioned with that pair of twerps restoring cars. I don't know who these infotainment lite, shows are aimed at really. TV companies seem incapable of making a factual series without adding a random celeb who knows sweet FA about the subject, or manufacturing some drama between 'characters'.
    Give me strength!
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    two Dolly sprint engines shoved together to make a v8 nightmare

Great to look at when parked

Personally I loved the Dolly sprint, it make have been rust on wheels and undrivable at speed without all the spoilers but it was at one point the fastest rusted 4 door saloon
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    No reference to "Ullo john gotta new motor".

Surprisingly.
  • Options
    digimoandigimoan Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Classic cars and Mr PG = brilliant series