Doctor Who 2015 DVD/Blu-Ray Release Schedule

Comments

• bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can pick up a lot of the single titles from the bbc shop for £5.25 now. If only I had waited and not bought them new.:o
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can pick up a lot of the single titles from the bbc shop for £5.25 now. If only I had waited and not bought them new.:o

Yeah I pay around £6 per DVD. I refused to buy the DVD's initially after my 30+ VHS collection was rendered null and void. Now the better video quality, extras, and price (50% less than the VHS's cost) make it more than worthwhile to start again. I have all the Hartnell's and am just starting on the Troughton's. Few other Doctor's thrown in where they are part of boxsets. Great ideas for Xmas/Birthday pressies from the family too.
  • EMSF144EMSF144 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Just got Day of the Daleks. Should I watch the original version or the special edition? I have never seen either version.
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EMSF144 wrote: »
    Just got Day of the Daleks. Should I watch the original version or the special edition? I have never seen either version.

It's not really an either/or, as you possess both versions, but I'd say to go with the original version in the first instance. It has its limitations: among other faults, there are very obviously only 3 Dalek props in use, and the Dalek voices are different from any other you will have heard, but this is Doctor Who as transmitted, and to be valued on that account. The "special edition" is (IMO) ill-judged fan-appeasing claptrap, with some unimpressive CGI and an unwarranted attempt to "improve" the morality of the Doctor's actions in the original. You might find it interesting to watch after watching the broadcast version, but I don't think it should be your first port of call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day of the daleks rocks. Love it. Having nick briggs redo the dalek voices for the special edition was a vast improvement. The cgi is not really that good though.
    Forum Member
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    It's not really an either/or, as you possess both versions, but I'd say to go with the original version in the first instance. It has its limitations: among other faults, there are very obviously only 3 Dalek props in use, and the Dalek voices are different from any other you will have heard, but this is Doctor Who as transmitted, and to be valued on that account. The "special edition" is (IMO) ill-judged fan-appeasing claptrap, with some unimpressive CGI and an unwarranted attempt to "improve" the morality of the Doctor's actions in the original. You might find it interesting to watch after watching the broadcast version, but I don't think it should be your first port of call.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably end up watching both versions but I will start with the original
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, today I went by my local store and I picked up some Doctor Who that I had special ordered. I picked up:

The Sarah Jane Adventures Season 4
    The Brain of Morbius
    Horror of Fang Rock
    Image of the Fendhal
    and Underworld

This finished up both The Sarah Jane Adventures and Tom Baker (my favorite Doctor) for me! Hooray for Grandma Christmas money! :):):)

Well, now I have the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th and 11 Doctors complete (inasmuch as is possible thus far on 1 and 2) and I am now only working on 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished watching The Brain of Morbius.

Overall, I really liked the Frankensteinesque quality of it, but it leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. Were the Sisters of Kahn in this the same ones that we see in The Night of The Doctor when McGann regenerates into The War Doctor?

2. What has been done to explain the past lives/faces of The Doctor shown during the duel which were implied to be incarnations of The Doctor before Troughton?

and

3. Why in the world would a human being have a Time Lord dueling device in his laboratory? He said that he built everything there from scratch. How would he have known to build it? Why in the world would he have built it? What other purpose could it have possibly served besides the dueling one?
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    I just finished watching The Brain of Morbius.

Overall, I really liked the Frankensteinesque quality of it, but it leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. Were the Sisters of Kahn in this the same ones that we see in The Night of The Doctor when McGann regenerates into The War Doctor?

2. What has been done to explain the past lives/faces of The Doctor shown during the duel which were implied to be incarnations of The Doctor before Troughton?

and

3. Why in the world would a human being have a Time Lord dueling device in his laboratory? He said that he built everything there from scratch. How would he have known to build it? Why in the world would he have built it? What other purpose could it have possibly served besides the dueling one?

1. Yes.
    2. Nothing.
    3. Um ... er ... um ... :blush:

Let me know when you see Fang Rock. It's the first one I watched with Mrs Chuff, all those years ago ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had Brain of Morbius on VHS. Probably best not to think too hard on the details and just enjoy the story.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    The extra faces were, doubtless, a continuity error but some have tried to explain them away by suggesting that they were images of Morbius' past lives and not the Doctor's.

A lot of them were actually faces of the production staff (Robert Holmes, Philip Hinchcliffe, Graeme Harper, Douglas Camfield, Christopher Barry...)

i never really thought of the issue with the duelling device but, in so far as it was a way to channel telepathic ability it is possible that Morbius directed Solon to build the thing to amplify or faciltate his telepathic abilities rather than as a handy dueling device to use the next time an annoying Time Lord dropped by!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. Not the exact same Sisters but yes the same Sisterhood (The High Priestess in Night of the Doctor was called Ohila while the new High Priestess at the end of Brain was Ohica).

2. At the time they really were meant to be older incarnations of the Doctor (though this of course clashed with what was said in other stories).

Fan theories usually go with either the idea they were incarnations of Morbius or use the idea of The Other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    1. Not the exact same Sisters but yes the same Sisterhood (The High Priestess in Night of the Doctor was called Ohila while the new High Priestess at the end of Brain was Ohica).

2. At the time they really were meant to be older incarnations of the Doctor (though this of course clashed with what was said in other stories).

Fan theories usually go with either the idea they were incarnations of Morbius or use the idea of The Other.

Thanks for all of the answers, guys!

As to number one: Awesome. I love that level of continuity. That makes Night of The Doctor that much more interesting to me. :):):)

I don't agree with the faces being earlier versions of Morbius because Morbius screams "How many lives have you lived?!?" at The Doctor whilst those faces are flashing by on the screen during the duel. However, The Other is an incredibly intriguing idea. There doesn't seem to be much to substantiate the theory in the show, but I love the idea. Have the Looms ever been canonized in the TV show? If not, have they ever mentioned how Time Lords are made (with the exception of two humans having sex in The Tardis making one (UGH!))?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have the Looms ever been canonized in the TV show? If not, have they ever mentioned how Time Lords are made (with the exception of two humans having sex in The Tardis making one (UGH!))?

There's never been a mention of Looms in the show.

I believe (never actually read Lungbarrow) that the Looms in the books produce adult Gallifreyians and as we have seen Gallifreyian children on the show this aspect would have to be changed if the idea of Looms is ever introduced into the show.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    There's never been a mention of Looms in the show.

I believe (never actually read Lungbarrow) that the Looms in the books produce adult Gallifreyians and as we have seen Gallifreyian children on the show this aspect would have to be changed if the idea of Looms is ever introduced into the show.

Yes, I've not read the book either but, from what I can gather, what we have seen in the show contradicts the whole Loom idea. Which is just as well because it sounds like an awful idea!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it is January 26th, so The Last Christmas is now available in the UK. That makes the list:

The Last Christmas - Available, US: February 17th
    The Underwater Menace - UK: ?, US: ?

P.S. I really hope that we have some more news and/or a release date on The Underwater Menace soon (and/or some more found episodes or Blu-Ray releases). Writing "This is the list: The Underwater Menace - UK: ?, US: ?" once a month for six months seems like it would be really, really boring. LOL! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished watching The Hand of Fear. It was wonderful, but it was sad to see Sarah Jane leave. :/

It was really nice to see that it was actually filmed inside of a nuclear power station. That was great. :):):) The production value was great. :)

I noticed also an interesting use again of a ring in order to hold the DNA of the wearer (of Eldrad), just like they did with The Master in the new stuff. Has that been used at any other time in Doctor Who? It seems to be a consistent meme within the show. LOL!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next release will probably be the season 9 set or if they do episode one as a stand alone again.
    Forum Member
    Well, it is January 26th, so The Last Christmas is now available in the UK. That makes the list:

The Last Christmas - Available, US: February 17th
    The Underwater Menace - UK: ?, US: ?

P.S. I really hope that we have some more news and/or a release date on The Underwater Menace soon (and/or some more found episodes or Blu-Ray releases). Writing "This is the list: The Underwater Menace - UK: ?, US: ?" once a month for six months seems like it would be really, really boring. LOL! :)
    Don't want to be picky but the episode is just called 'Last Christmas' and not 'The Last Christmas'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EMSF144 wrote: »
    Don't want to be picky but the episode is just called 'Last Christmas' and not 'The Last Christmas'

Oh, my bad. :):):)
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will series 1-4 ever be released as single blu ray sets a opposed to the massive 50th anniversary set.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wowboy wrote: »
    Will series 1-4 ever be released as single blu ray sets a opposed to the massive 50th anniversary set.

The hope is that they will be released later this year as individual series sets. It makes sense that they would be released eventually because the work has already been done to convert them over to Blu-Ray and because, with hardly any classic releases, they will help fill the giant gaping holes in this year's release schedule. Also, I am sure that they company would love to make some more money off of the release. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Yes.
    2. Nothing.
    3. Um ... er ... um ... :blush:

Let me know when you see Fang Rock. It's the first one I watched with Mrs Chuff, all those years ago ...

I just finished watching Horror of Fang Rock. It was fun. I was pretty tired of the lady screaming through the whole thing, so I was glad when she died, but I was sad when The Colonel died; I liked him. :(

Overall it was good fun, though. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on The Smuggler's. I don't think UWM will be out before I get to it :(