Ridiculous lack of choice with Apple

Comments

• PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

Itunes is the devil of software and icloud is utterly useless.

I still don't know what they did to iTunes on PCs, but its always seemed fine on a Mac.

icloud isn't utterly useless. I use it to keep contacts, calendar, notes and reminders automatically in sync on different devices.

Which seems pretty useful to me.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    To be fair to him, his potential partner has a lot to contend with...iOS/Apple/iphone/ipad are all pretty awesome. :D

Problem he will never find a partner as easy to control as his itunes
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I see that your using free dating sites. Funny that, you will spend over the odds on a mobile phone. Yet wont spend anything to try and find a woman/bloke. :p:D

I'm a member of more than one, not all free. Adult Friend finder being the most expensive...Match being about the cheapest.
    swordman wrote: »
    Problem he will never find a partner as easy to control as his itunes

Says alot for your ability that you cant get your head around iTunes then donesnt it:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I find it funny that after all this time iOS STILL doesn't have a proper FREE turn by turn navigation app like Android has had since 2.0 in 2009...and don't try and say it isn't useful because the voice readouts are very useful in the car when you are lost...:p

Yeah and its totally shite!

Skobbler kicks the arse out of Android Nav anyday
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Yeah and its totally shite!

Skobbler kicks the arse out of Android Nav anyday

Erm no....turn by turn via Google maps and the voice even tells you where to go....not to mention you have street view as well in case you're really lost...

Android users don't need to waste money on trashy imitations like that when there's a native app built in...
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly I've found Google Maps equal to a dedicated satnav. And now it also has public transport directions as well, it's great for getting round London, better than the TFL journey planner.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm no....turn by turn via Google maps and the voice even tells you where to go....not to mention you have street view as well in case you're really lost...

Android users don't need to waste money on trashy imitations like that when there's a native app built in...

If you're talking about about google navigation, well it's ok but a bit flakey. I wouldn't want to rely on it. It also needs a constant data connection.

If you want you use your phone properly for turn by turn driving nav then the best solution is something like Copilot or similar,
    Forum Member

No its shite. I paid £1.49 and get offline maps too.

The Android app is just rubbish.

At any moment you expect it to say “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change, please take the next left". Thats how crappy the voice is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one thing that does help is you can pre-cache the maps on Google Maps before you go. Enable "Precache map area" in Labs under Settings on Maps, then follow the instructions and the map is saved. In fact after a quick play just now, it's managed to reroute without a data connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At any moment you expect it to say “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change, please take the next left". Thats how crappy the voice is.

Oh Steve. We can all see that Android could fetch you breakfast in bed and you'd still complain it had brought you the wrong type of marmalade.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I'm a member of more than one, not all free. Adult Friend finder being the most expensive...Match being about the cheapest.

I am just having a laugh, no need to take it seriously. What you spend your money on is none of my business.

Its certainly not rubbish. Its a very good app.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Oh Steve. We can all see that Android could fetch you breakfast in bed and you'd still complain it had brought you the wrong type of marmalade.

And if it had brought the wrong marmalade, I'd be justified in my complaint.

I have very specific likes and dislikes when it comes to things I spread on bread and receiving the wrong one would spoil the meal.
    Forum Member
    I am just having a laugh, no need to take it seriously. What you spend your money on is none of my business.

Its certainly not rubbish. Its a very good app.

Voice needs some work though:p
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one thing that does help is you can pre-cache the maps on Google Maps before you go. Enable "Precache map area" in Labs under Settings on Maps, then follow the instructions and the map is saved. In fact after a quick play just now, it's managed to reroute without a data connection.

Could be awkward if you get caught short, need to use the satnav and you've got a bad (or no) signal.

I'll stick to Nokia maps, way better than all the others at the moment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet you've never even used it. You can save whole areas of the map for offline use..and streetview is a massive plus...

Why would I waste £1.49 on some poor copy when a free built in app is that good. Plus most sat nav voices sound like that anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet you've never even used it. You can save whole areas of the map for offline use..and streetview is a massive plus...

Why would I waste £1.49 on some poor copy when a free built in app is that good. Plus most sat nav voices sound like that anyway.

Pre-caching is useless if your in an area with no data connection and need to get a new route. Google nav is a nice freebie beta app but it's no competition to a proper nav program.

Street view is available on iPhone and Android isn't it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Pre-caching is useless if your in an area with no data connection and need to get a new route. Google nav is a nice freebie beta app but it's no competition to a proper nav program.

Street view is available on iPhone and Android isn't it ?

Not with turn by turn navigation though. I can literally get it to walk me through the route at street level where you can even look around at all the landmarks before you actually set off....far more useful
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Could be awkward if you get caught short, need to use the satnav and you've got a bad (or no) signal.

I'll stick to Nokia maps, way better than all the others at the moment

No reason why you can't pre-cache the whole country if you want. I don't think I'm in the minority when I say that I set the route before heading off, I don't just find myself lost on the moors somewhere and only then decide to fire up a maps app. I live in the South East though, so I accept having 'no data signal' is a more alien concept for me than it might be for others.
    Forum Member

They all sound very robotic.

Did I mention my Skobbler App also has speed cameras in the offline map database:D

Oh and a proper human voice:p

Now wheres my marmalade
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're talking about about google navigation, well it's ok but a bit flakey. I wouldn't want to rely on it. It also needs a constant data connection.

If you want you use your phone properly for turn by turn driving nav then the best solution is something like Copilot or similar,
    not flakey at all and it hasn't needed a constant connection for quite some time now. it caches all the maps for any planned route in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They all sound very robotic.

You've listened to all 100 of them? hmm.....
    Forum Member
    You've listened to all 100 of them? hmm.....

No I havent listened to all 100 of them, but quite a few.

Are you saying that in the 100 there are natural voices not created by computer, if so link to them please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    not flakey at all and it hasn't needed a constant connection for quite some time now. it caches all the maps for any planned route in advance.

I used it on my brand new evo3d dual core htc with the latest version last week. I had to come off a motorway due a closure. It couldn't re-route because the data connection was lost. Ended up wasting about 1 hour.

As I said the pre-caching is utterly useless if you're in an area with no data connection.

I've had it crash unexpectedly on my phone a few times as well which is why I call it flakey, it is beta test anyhow so I'm not expecting it to be 100% stable

I don't use sat navs that often so I can get away with using google nav occasionally, if I was using one all the time I would have to get something with proper offline maps.