Ipod Touch Help

mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I brought one the other day but having problems with my Wi-Fi. I cannot get the Touch to connect to the Wi-Fi in my house.

What can i do to fix this? I have tried switching wi-fi on and looking for networks, no luck. The ask for other networks bit is interesting though, what do i type in to get it working?

I do have a normal cable modem at home but not sure if this can work for the wi-fi.

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is your router setup to broadcast the SSID? If not, you will need to enter this manually into the 'Other Networks' menu, along with the WEP/WPA key.
  • mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As i said Eddy, i don't have a router, just a normal standard cable modem off Virgin Media for my home internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need an actual wi-fi transmitting modem...otherwise it aint gonna work. You can buy a wireless modem router for about £40 these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers mate, so if i was to replace my existing Cable Modem from Virgin to a wireless router, would that effect my Broadband connectivity through my computer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    mw1 wrote: »
    Cheers mate, so if i was to replace my existing Cable Modem from Virgin to a wireless router, would that effect my Broadband connectivity through my computer?

With Virgin Media cable you need both your modem and a wireless router [you can either get this for free from Virgin if you're on the correct package or buy your own (make sure it is for cable). You then leave you modem plugged in as it is, but take the Ethernet cable out and put this into your new wireless router.

The wireless router should have 4 Ethernet sockets where you can connect any wired devices you have (such as your PC)

This mean your iPod touch will be able to connect to your wireless network at the same time as your PC (or any wireless laptops you acquire in the future)

If you need any further help setting it up, let us know and we will try our best to guide you. But your first step is to hunt down a decent cable wireless router, either from Virgin or a shop (Amazon etc)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can either get a combo modem/wi-fi router, you can connect with it wireless and with cable, mine has 4 sockets for ethernet or you get just wi-fi router that you have to connect with your modem. I bought the combo as I do not want a lot of boxes on my desk.
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    You can either get a combo modem/wi-fi router, you can connect with it wireless and with cable, mine has 4 sockets for ethernet or you get just wi-fi router that you have to connect with your modem. I bought the combo as I do not want a lot of boxes on my desk.

Only for ADSL (telephone line) connections. On Virgin Media cable, you need to use the modem supplied to you and a separate wireless router, Netgear do a combined cable modem and router, but this is not supplied by Virgin, therefore you cannot use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many Thanks for the help so far, i now have a fair idea of what to get. My one question though is this, currently for Virgin Media Cable Broadband i connect via USB which i have done for many years.

Is there a USB port available on these routers i can use?
    Forum Member
    mw1 wrote: »
    Many Thanks for the help so far, i now have a fair idea of what to get. My one question though is this, currently for Virgin Media Cable Broadband i connect via USB which i have done for many years.

Is there a USB port available on these routers i can use?

No, in that case you need an Ethernet cable. If your modem is located close to where you want your router to go, a 1 or 2m cable will not be expensive at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok then Folks

i am currently looking at this router from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6750392/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTERS.htm

3 Questions:

1: Is it worth the price and do the job well?

2: Is this ok for Virgin Media Cable? I notice on the technical information it has 4 ehernet ports, is this fine?

3: If i brought this do i still have to keep and use my existing cable modem?

Thank You for the help so far.
    Forum Member
    You can use that with Virgin but I personally wouldn't trust a Belkin router, go for Netgear or Linksys instead.

Bought, not brought and yes you need to use your cable modem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right i've just brought my Router which is fine but when i'm on the move with my Ipod Touch i recently went in to some networks like The Cloud BT Openzone etc

I wasn't aware these were pay services, can i ignore these services and therefore use my router to connect up to wi fi when i am on the move i.e. Bus?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No... your wifi network won't have that strong a signal. You won't be able to access internet unless you're in your house, in the garden or street your house is in (depending on strength).

If you're on the move, some train stations have National Express lounges with free wifi in them; some trains have free wifi; if The Cloud pops up frequently on your touch, it might be worth subscribing, they do a special rate for iPod owners:
    http://www.thecloud.co.uk/page/4913/

Other than that, you won't be able to access wifi with the touch unless you pass by some unencrypted home networks (but to do so would be illegal!) If you want full internet on the move, you need an iPhone.