Dexter given 2 more seasons.

00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,203
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just noticed this on the DS news pages.
Dont get me wrong, i love the show, one of the best things i've seen in a long time, but i dont know how much more they can do with it.
Im only at FX pace though so haven't seen the start of season 3, although i hear it is still as good as ever.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm really pleased to hear this - if you think about it, they can actually develop a really good story because they know they've got 2 more seasons. No uncertainty over cancellation (although I guess it probably could be cancelled if ratings nosedived, but it's probably unlikely).

Let's face it, Prison Break was probably a 1-season storyline and here we are on season 4 ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Season 3 is certainly ok, but it's lost something, not really sure what but I guess the rather unique subject matter can only carry you so far. I'll be intrigued to see where they go with 2 more years but their choices are fairly limited unless they go for a radical depature from the established setup.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is quite good for the show.

They have quite a dilemma (well two actually).

In order to end the show there would need to be a really good conclusion. They couldn't just get away with him being caught and arrested in 5 minutes - that would be very lame.

Likewise, just killing him off would be too easy.

So the best thing to do is to create a long term plan for the show, having at least two seasons extra helps with that.

The other dilemma that they have is that Dexter is Showtime's biggest show. They can't just end it now, it's worth way too much to them. But they also know that if it dragged on too long then it would ruin the show. As a company, they can't let Dexter go yet.
  • Alien28Alien28 Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 3 is certainly ok, but it's lost something, not really sure what but I guess the rather unique subject matter can only carry you so far. I'll be intrigued to see where they go with 2 more years but their choices are fairly limited unless they go for a radical depature from the established setup.

When watching season 3 ep1 I thought the same. Something wasn't quite right! But by the 2nd and 3rd ep I was hooked again. Dexter was back to the way I like it!

I do hope that they call it 2 seasons and be done with it, though! I don't like to see my favourite shows dragged out and ruined I'd rather they finish on a high.

I am suprised to hear it has 2 more seasons though, and hope they finish it off really well. Perhaps have a season or half season with Dexter on the run perhaps? (or is that an awful idea?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    i'm really pleased to hear this - if you think about it, they can actually develop a really good story because they know they've got 2 more seasons. No uncertainty over cancellation (although I guess it probably could be cancelled if ratings nosedived, but it's probably unlikely).

Let's face it, Prison Break was probably a 1-season storyline and here we are on season 4 ..

Yes but how many people think that it would have been better to have it end after 2 brilliant seasons?

Loved Dexter so far, but would prefer it ended earlier on a high rather than being dragged out for the sake of it.

Its based on books isn't it? Does anyone know how many of them there are? There might be 5 books and therefore reasonable material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    There's 3 books in total so far (written by Jeff Lindsay) with a fourth slated for a Feb 09 release.

I've read all 3. The first was pretty much what the first season was based on. The second is a separate story, the third a separate story again but with a more supernatural way of looking at things! I enjoyed them all but books 1 and 2 were the best. Looking forward to the 4th! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I agree that the best thing that can happen to a series is that the writers are given an end date. Lost and Battlestar Galactica have been given this and the stories (so far) have benifitted greatly from it (rumours are that the last 10 eps of BSG are the best yet! :) )

Too many times the writers have had to wing it when writing these series. Imagine being asked to write the story for a film but then not knowing how long to make it or when to end it (Lord of the Rings ROTK syndrome?! :) )

I just hope Dexter continues the same quality its shown in seasons 1 & 2 and they know when to end it. I'm not convinced with season 3 yet but it could all be setup so far and the payoff is yet to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dlm88888 wrote: »
    There's 3 books in total so far (written by Jeff Lindsay) with a fourth slated for a Feb 09 release.

I've read all 3. The first was pretty much what the first season was based on. The second is a separate story, the third a separate story again but with a more supernatural way of looking at things! I enjoyed them all but books 1 and 2 were the best. Looking forward to the 4th! :)

The TV show does not follow the books (other than the first).

In terms of writing the scripts, a lot of content from the later books is unsuitable for the TV show. The supernatural book hasn't got very good reviews either, so I don't think they'd want to go down that route.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is damned good news have been watching S3 and it is as good as ever with 3 Million viewers for this series, always suspected they would do this as the head honcho at Showtime is a massive fan of the series plus it is doing well (in edited form) on Cbs.

I think that was also the big clincher to this even though Dexter is now a few years old and has been torrented to hell and Showtime have allowed downloads of the show from ther site, Dvr plus the Dvd's are already out it still gets about 8 Million viewers on Cbs compared to the roughly 1 Million the first series got on Showtime.

Glad they have given the makers an end time but if it continued to do well for Cbs they may push for a S6 and 7 to help with syndication of the show (usually 24 eps a season) and yes am aware that each season is 12 episodes long one of the reasons why it manages to maintain a high standard but it would still be sold as a 7 Season show.

I realise am getting a bit ahead of myself here so will stop and be happy with the news of 4 and 5 in case I jinx the chance for more.

On a final note did anyone else find when they told loved ones, friends, co-workers about this show and how awsome it is, they sorta got that deer in the headlights look and avoided you for a few days.

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    urbanjig wrote: »
    Well this is damned good news have been watching S3 and it is as good as ever with 3 Million viewers for this series, always suspected they would do this as the head honcho at Showtime is a massive fan of the series plus it is doing well (in edited form) on Cbs.

I think that was also the big clincher to this even though Dexter is now a few years old and has been torrented to hell and Showtime have allowed downloads of the show from ther site, Dvr plus the Dvd's are already out it still gets about 8 Million viewers on Cbs compared to the roughly 1 Million the first series got on Showtime.

Glad they have given the makers an end time but if it continued to do well for Cbs they may push for a S6 and 7 to help with syndication of the show (usually 24 eps a season) and yes am aware that each season is 12 episodes long one of the reasons why it manages to maintain a high standard but it would still be sold as a 7 Season show.

I realise am getting a bit ahead of myself here so will stop and be happy with the news of 4 and 5 in case I jinx the chance for more.

On a final note did anyone else find when they told loved ones, friends, co-workers about this show and how awsome it is, they sorta got that deer in the headlights look and avoided you for a few days.

:o
    I pretty much agree with you.

Only Season 1 was shown on CBS and that move was down to the WGA strike earlier in the year (CBS gained a "new" show for 1 weeks and Showtime got an awareness boost). Unless something pretty bad happens then I don't see CBS showing any more episodes.

Although if it did continue past Season 5 it could make the jump to CBS (as the parent company, they may feel the show is too valuable to leave on Showtime).

When explaining the show to Friends/Relatives I find it's best to pitch the show without making it sound like an hour of senseless killing every week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    I pretty much agree with you.

Only Season 1 was shown on CBS and that move was down to the WGA strike earlier in the year (CBS gained a "new" show for 1 weeks and Showtime got an awareness boost). Unless something pretty bad happens then I don't see CBS showing any more episodes.

Although if it did continue past Season 5 it could make the jump to CBS (as the parent company, they may feel the show is too valuable to leave on Showtime).

When explaining the show to Friends/Relatives I find it's best to pitch the show without making it sound like an hour of senseless killing every week.

I think it started airing on Feb 17 and all episodes where shown 10Pm Sundays.

You have to keep in mind the 8 or so Million average viewers aside this show costs nothing for Cbs to make it is still primarily a Showtime series and as such even though it did just a bit better than Jericho that show got cancelled whereas they continued to show Dexter all the way through.

I think it is alot like the Terminator series Fox just broadcast it and make enough money to continue showing it even though it gets low ratings because they don't actually make the show it belongs to another studio.

So hopefully Cbs will show the seond series, nothing offical but who knows.