Which console should I go for?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
So, the last thing I owned was the original Playstation :eek:

Thinking of buying something again, mainly for me to kill evenings with and maybe that will interest my 4yr old daughter.

Doesn't need to be the latest high spec model.....not exactly flush with cash but there is so much on the market these days haven't got a clue where to start anymore :confused:

Any recommendations for me?!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XBox 360

If you don't want to buy the latest buy an Arcade model. It's the one i have and it's never had any problems and has given me years of entertainment.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    considering you don't sound like a hardcore gamer and taking your little girl into account, I would recommend a Wii for you ... Not expensive and there's loads of titles to suit both of you !!
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    PS3, just to balance out the previous mentioned.

:p
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3, they are both great machines. But since you are including your young daughter into the equation and you aren't looking for anything ultra amazing looking I would go for the Wii. Lots of fun games on there, for you and your wee girl. Very reasonably priced too.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    considering you don't sound like a hardcore gamer and taking your little girl into account, I would recommend a Wii for you ... Not expensive and there's loads of titles to suit both of you !!

^^^ This.

From the way you talk the Wii will probably suit your needs best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Nope, definitely not a hard core gamer!

I'm looking for something that will keep me entertained but that has enough simple games to appeal to a little one too.

I was thinking about a Wii as I figured that would probably do the job...just never really looked into the whole Xbox/PS thing.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xbox with kinect may be of interest to you, the kid will love it.
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just make sure your daughter doesn't get confused between Wii and wee! :D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The Wii is renowned for it's family appeal so that would probably be the best option for you. Bear in mind the Wii U is due out next year though. :)
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo has pretty much abandoned the current Wii though. I would recommend an Xbox 360 with Kinect. Your daughter will love it.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Generally speaking (sweeping statement alert*) Wii has a higher proportion of kids titles, PS3 sort of middling and XBOX360 is weighted more towards the grown up end of the market. Having said that, I have a 360 slim and have no trouble getting games for my 8 and 10 yr olds. The good news is that whatever go for, you are buying in to a long standing system the market is awash with cheap pre owned games.
    One more thing worth keeping in mind is have you any friends or has she any cousins who game. If you go for the same consoles as them you can easily swap games.:)
    Forum Member
    The Wii is renowned for it's family appeal so that would probably be the best option for you. Bear in mind the Wii U is due out next year though. :)

Nooooo! More to consider :eek:

Will probably only be going for something 2nd hand at the mo anyway so even if I do move onto something else for me, my little one can keep going with the Wii for a while...before she goes to school and realises I'm fobbing her off with obsolete technology anyway :D
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    The Wii sounds like your best choice, for people who arn't gamers and just want to say they are, the Wii is a perfect console for them, it's simple and plain enough that Kiddies and Granparents a like can use it and it doesn't come across complicated at all because it's designed to be very simple and basic. :)
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advise is to pop into a local video game store and ask their sales assistants :) Somewhere like GAME or Gamestation are your bests bets. They can explain each current console to you, take you through some recommended games and show you the price to go with them :) Or at least that was how things worked when I was working in GAME a year ago.

Personally, I'd actually advise you NOT to go for the Wii. I found it poorly supported a lot of the time and just not really that well thought out. However it does have good qualities such as it being quite a family oriented console.

Personally I'd recommend the 360, it has probably the largest selection of games and is also family friendly (especially with the Kenect add-on!) despite being aimed at more serious gamers. The reason I'd recommend this one is that it (should) have longer left before being outdated than the Wii does and there are also typically far more preowned models and games to go with it and so you can get into it quite cheaply these days and once you are into it you have a bigger selection.

But yeah, my opinion is go in and ask in somewhere like GAME and get them to make suggestions where you can see how much things cost. One little piece of note, the Wii is often cheaper to start with but the controllers cost an arm and a leg...
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the majority on here. The Wii would be more suited for you and your daughter.
    It is very cheap now too you can pick up a pre-owned one from as little as £49.
    Forum Member
    Aye, going to a shop would be best but I can't get out at the moment...my little girl has been very ill and we are confined to the house....hence why I am trying to find things for us to do before we both go completely mental :(

I like the look of the 360 with the Kinect but it's a bit pricey for me just now I think.

Think I might go for a 2nd hand Wii for now and see how we get on. Can always whack it on Ebay in a few months and have a go at the 360 if we get the gaming bug :D

Thanks for all the input...been a great help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    For children - PS3 with Little Big Planet - Children absolutely LOVE that game.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take on this is..

For your little girl I'd go for the Wii.

The Xbox 4gb is with kinect is also a good choice.

PS3 is a more mature console for old fools like me. So give the PS3 a miss, it's expensive and offers nothing over the other 2 consoles for children.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1

From my experience, for the most part:
    Wii is for the family, women, kids.
    360 is for kids, teens and young adults.
    PS3 is for all adults, some teens, kids are kind of rare online.

But if you get a 360 get the Kinect. If you get the PS3 get the Move. They are great toys for kids.
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, going to a shop would be best but I can't get out at the moment...my little girl has been very ill and we are confined to the house....hence why I am trying to find things for us to do before we both go completely mental :(

I like the look of the 360 with the Kinect but it's a bit pricey for me just now I think.

Think I might go for a 2nd hand Wii for now and see how we get on. Can always whack it on Ebay in a few months and have a go at the 360 if we get the gaming bug :D

Thanks for all the input...been a great help!

Awww I'm sorry to hear that, hope she gets better soon :) And I can vouch for gaming being an amazing cure when ill! :D

Hope you enjoy the Wii (I'm sure your daughter will!) and yeah, like you said if you enjoy it there's nothing to stop you moving onwards and upwards. Just a note of warning, I got playing my big brothers NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) when I was around 3/4 ish, and I reckon I've spent THOUSANDS on games and consoles since. Still, don't regret it at all, great time killer when it's raining or you're ill or you just have nothing better to do :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. I think a Wii would suit you and your daughter best. Not as powerful as a PS3 or 360 but loads of titles for it and the cheapest of the main 3.

Or pick up a PS2 and you can buy tons of cheap games.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    The Wii is easily one of my least favourite consoles ever but it certainly sounds like the one to meet your requirements.
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS3.

It's a bit pricey but covers all bases IMO and if you got lured in the online gaming world (easily done) you wont need to churn out £40 a year for live.

I can see the Wii just collecting dust after the novelty wears off.

WIth the PS3 you got games for all tastes and ages and can even buy a move if you wish as well. Along with that, you got heaps more than a gaming system, I use mine a lot more than just gaming.

Hope I don't sound like one of those god awful fan boys, just offering an opinion from my experiences with the consoles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    McLovin85 wrote: »
    PS3.

It's a bit pricey but covers all bases IMO and if you got lured in the online gaming world (easily done) you wont need to churn out £40 a year for live.

I can see the Wii just collecting dust after the novelty wears off.

WIth the PS3 you got games for all tastes and ages and can even buy a move if you wish as well. Along with that, you got heaps more than a gaming system, I use mine a lot more than just gaming.

Hope I don't sound like one of those god awful fan boys, just offering an opinion from my experiences with the consoles.

Chatting with our chidren and the lure of Little Big Planet and Ratchet and Clank they would all go for PS3

Make sure you try LBP before dismissing PS3 as it is great for cretive children
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,154
    Forum Member
    I have a Wii- Its ok but I bet the PS3 and XBOX 360 are better.