Options

Corrie: They need to build up more stable marriages

Soapster1Soapster1 Posts: 1,956
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Corrie is very weak at the moment due to a lack of long term couples and marriages. The 'affair' or 'heartbreak' storyline is only explosive when it's the last thing anyone would expect. In order to create this sort of storyline, some serious investment in building up strong marriages needs to take place, so they can be blown apart in the future. Eg. Ken & Deirdre, Kevin & Sally. There's only so many times those two 'strong' relationships can be impacted by either one having an affair or a baby on the side.
The entire soap is built on flimsy relationships, people being dumped at the altar etc etc. Peter and Leanne, Peter and Carla, Nick and Leanne, ad nauseum.
Slow steady long term character investment and a long term view of characters needs to take place. Also they need to partner characters for their chemistry and sparky relationships, not as plot devices for other characters - eg. Steve & Karen - brilliant, Derek and Mavis - brilliant.
It's probably a symptom of writers and producers maybe only getting short term contracts these days. No one gets a chance to really develop the characters over time, pity.

Comments

• Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I would love to see a marriage which works without affairs.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis & reet seem to be doing alright, as do Roy & Hayley. No affairs there either.
  • Options
    MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Corrie used to show dramas and storylines within relationships, now they only seem to break them up. I had hopes for David and Kylie but they've ruined that already.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the strength of the Peacocks as young, stable family was massively overlooked before they were axed.

Corrie does need a younger family.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the strength of the Peacocks as young, stable family was massively overlooked before they were axed.

Corrie does need a younger family.

Stable? Ashley had an affair with Casey only a few years before they were axed.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Stable? Ashley had an affair with Casey only a few years before they were axed.

When compared against most soap marriages theirs was more stable than a Japanese skyscraper.
  • Options
    bob321bob321 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter?
  • Options
    ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob321 wrote: »
    Does it really matter?

Of course it does, no real families on the show and no real relationships. It's hardly realistic is it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Imonfire wrote: »
    Of course it does, no real families on the show and no real relationships. It's hardly realistic is it.

What about Roy n Hayley? Dennis and Rita?
  • Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some very good points.
    But for me Corrie has been inconsistent for a while and I don't think the real problem is the relationships, I think the writing in general has been a bit messy. You can expect it from time to time but a small issue in a soap can lead to a bigger problem, if it's not being dealt with that is.
    I don't mean to attack EastEnders at all but I think it was in a very bad place last year and that didn't just happen overnight. I think Lorraine Newman has had a great effect on EE and I hope the same can be said for Stuart Blackburn with CS.
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the OP. There is too much hysterical High Drama and not enough subtle, low key drama, the beauty of the everyday, which is what I love about soaps at their best. Good writing and acting are all you need to make characters that we care about.

The random couplings - with everyone having had a relationship with everyone else vaguely in their age range - cheapen real love IMO.

There's too little warmth and precious little feel-good about Corrie atm, with even Roy and Hayley strained. Deirdre and Ken work well sometimes. I have hopes for Rita and Dennis. That's about it.
  • Options
    pixiegirl123pixiegirl123 Posts: 15,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do need more stable families, however soap seems to be scared of them or something. The other soaps I watch are Emmerdale and Hollyoaks, and I can only think of a few stable families on those ones too! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They do need more stable families, however soap seems to be scared of them or something. The other soaps I watch are Emmerdale and Hollyoaks, and I can only think of a few stable families on those ones too! :rolleyes:

Do you really think it would be interesting to watch a stable family go out to work and school, come home and eat their tea, watch the telly and go to bed? This thread is so pointless as everyone knows the reason there are no stable families in soaps is because that would be dull and characters need storylines. If a family was constantly stable with no cracks people would be complaining that it was boring and unrealistic
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really think it would be interesting to watch a stable family go out to work and school, come home and eat their tea, watch the telly and go to bed? This thread is so pointless as everyone knows the reason there are no stable families in soaps is because that would be dull and characters need storylines. If a family was constantly stable with no cracks people would be complaining that it was boring and unrealistic

And yet Roy and Hayley are the most universally loved couple on the show...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yet Roy and Hayley are the most universally loved couple on the show...

Probably because they're in the show less than other characters and are mostly just involved in comedy storylines, if all the characters were like this it would be a very dull programme.
  • Options
    1ncognito1ncognito Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is, stable families are "boring" soaps rely on drama and an affair = drama that will involve plenty of characters - the couple, the other woman/bloke, any children, friends on both sides etc.

It has got to the point though where a couple cannot walk past each other in the street without falling into bed 5 minutes later. By trying to be "shocking" all the time soaps are getting incredibly predictable.
  • Options
    pixiegirl123pixiegirl123 Posts: 15,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, but it is nice to have a few stable couples who aren't always splitting up and having affairs :)
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1ncognito wrote: »
    Trouble is, stable families are "boring" soaps rely on drama and an affair = drama that will involve plenty of characters - the couple, the other woman/bloke, any children, friends on both sides etc.

It has got to the point though where a couple cannot walk past each other in the street without falling into bed 5 minutes later. By trying to be "shocking" all the time soaps are getting incredibly predictable.

To be quite honest, affairs are the most boring thing to occur in soap. I don't understand how people in here justify them by calling normal families "boring" when affairs have been done literally to death.

The ironic thing is that Corrie is more boring now than ever before, yet rewind to the early 90s and each episode would have me in stitches without even trying, in addition to providing realistic drama that did not insult my intelligence.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I would agree with that. Unfortunately, much of the time when there has been, seemingly, a stable marriage, one of the partners has died ie Derek and Mavis, Alfie and Audrey, Ernest and Emily.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, one or two decent relationships would lighten the increasingly dark side of the Street. Yes, of course it's harder to make stable families interesting. But Corrie writers are capable of finding the humour in everyday life, and portraying its frustrations, surprises and conflicts sympathetically. As a previous poster has said, that's what's great about soaps - and why I watch Corrie not EE. Maybe our own appetite for scandal, overfed by celeb culture, is forcing the writers to come up with ever-more unlikely liaisons and dramatic bust-ups.
  • Options
    MinxyRach7MinxyRach7 Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    Dennis & reet seem to be doing alright, as do Roy & Hayley. No affairs there either.
    Hayley's sadly leaving so that will be one less couple on the show. :(
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because they're in the show less than other characters and are mostly just involved in comedy storylines, if all the characters were like this it would be a very dull programme.

The Croppers have been on the sidelines lately but that's more because of David Neilson living abroad combined with Julie Hesmondhalgh and Stephanie Cole's breaks. Go back two years to when Sylvia arrived and you have some great drama with Sylvia finding about about Hayley's past and Roy telling Sylvia what he really thinks of her and how she treated him as a boy. It does seem at times that ideas for them are a bit thin on the ground, but I'm glad the writers respect their characters enough not to make one of them have an affair (proving in turn that such a thing is possible).

Err.... no, it probably wouldn't be interesting, but then no one is asking for that. But it's funny that you use the words dull and boring so much, and yet seem to have no problem with the most tiresome soap cliche of the lot (affairs).

The reason we see so many affairs isn't anything to do with stable families being boring, it's because they're a stock plot which fills up time and is easy to write. Likewise, the reason the likes of Karl/Sunita and Molvin are unpopular isn't because all affairs are bad (Deirdre/Mike would beg to differ), but because the actors have no chemistry, the characters' motivations are either unclear or change from one episode to the next, and they consist of the same scenes repeated ad nauseum.

I'd love another couple like the Duckworths or the Wiltons but they take years to nurture and soaps nowadays use up characters too quickly. Plus comedy doesn't seem to have the prestige in Corrie that it once did.

Or, to put it more succinctly, what Helicase said :D.