Customs and import duties

chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive looked on the net for a calculator but cant find anything. Im wanting to purchase an item for $39.95 which is £26.81 in pounds. How much customs and import duties would this cost?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For most items at that price there won't be any duty, just VAT at 20%. Does that price include the shipping? VAT is also charge on the shipping and insurance charges. Royal Mail or the courier will also charge a handling fee, usually ranging from £8 - £16 but it varies.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    It can be hit and miss. A few years ago i ordered a few items from an american website and they came in the post andi didnt have to pay anything. A few weeks later i ordered more things from a different american website and when they delivered them (home delivery only) i had to pay £45 on the spot otherwise they would be sent back! No option for leaving it at the post office. Luckily i had the money but was very annoyed.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geiger wrote: »
    For most items at that price there won't be any duty, just VAT at 20%. Does that price include the shipping? VAT is also charge on the shipping and insurance charges. Royal Mail or the courier will also charge a handling fee, usually ranging from £8 - £16 but it varies.

Yep including shipping
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask the seller to devalue the contents on the customs label.
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Ask the seller to devalue the contents on the customs label.

I heard if they do that they can be stopped shipping goods to the uk.

dont know how hmrc can enforce this as there must be millions of parcels coming in everyday month
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmodz10 wrote: »
    I heard if they do that they can be stopped shipping goods to the uk.

dont know how hmrc can enforce this as there must be millions of parcels coming in everyday month

I have no idea if thats true or not.

OP It's worth asking the seller because most of them will.