Options

Sky and Virgin Media strike major new channel distribution agreement

2»

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    southlad wrote: »
    No chance of Virgin getting Sky Atlantic for a very very long time...

(Says the boss of the Sky entertainment channels)

https://twitter.com/stuartmurphy100/status/453950857412112384

He's hardly likely to say otherwise is he?
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says somewhere that xl customers will have the best sport collection, so will the sky channels be free for xl customers
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last at last! I can have my golf back in HD! One very chuffed Virgin customer here.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says somewhere that xl customers will have the best sport collection, so will the sky channels be free for xl customers

The cynic in me says no, but we can at least hope! :)
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's hardly likely to say otherwise is he?

Sadly that sounds like wishful thinking really. This sounds like the big announcement for the next few years.

I think the bigger news would be Now TV on Virgin as an app. I could probably stomach paying Murdoch Inc one month's subs to splurge on True Detective and Veep.
  • Options
    wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    So the channels that we will get are only the Skynews and sports HD channels, not really great news in my field as I won't be watching them anyway. Hoping maybe other channels, (not Atlantic as Ive seen half anyway and thorns is not good)
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    Sadly that sounds like wishful thinking really. This sounds like the big announcement for the next few years.

I think the bigger news would be Now TV on Virgin as an app. I could probably stomach paying Murdoch Inc one month's subs to splurge on True Detective and Veep.

If NowTV keeps going the way it is it may not be around for much longer.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Noiseboy wrote: »

As i've said, he isn't going to big up a rival by teasing that they might get Atlantic is he? If Virgin offer the right amount of money they will get it.
  • Options
    digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if we will get Sky Box Office live events in HD too going forward? Would be great for the Froch Groves fight but no mention on the announcement.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW on a point above BT are already charging their own customers for BT Sport/ESPN. I got an e mail yesterday to advise that even if you contract for BT Broadband for another 12 months all customers will pay £3 pm for HD from 1 August. And if you have BT Broadband but decline to take an extra year contract BT Sports will be £6.75 pm from then.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there been any news on when the channels will start? No mention at all on Virgin homepage, but I haven't checked their forums.
  • Options
    MARKIVMARKIV Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Good news, but surely this has come off the back off BT Sports and too late.

What with:

Champions League moving to BT Sport for 2015
    I use to watch Sky Sports 4 SD for IndyCar, now on ESPN HD.
    That only leaves Sky's Premiership Football games and 10 exclusive F1 Grand Prix's worth watching on Sky Sports.

And as I'm only really interested in motorsport Now TV's offer of 5 Sky Sports passes for £35 ( including the box ) negates the need of paying Virgin £34.25 per month for the current SkySports HD line up (currently excluding 3,4 & F1 in HD).

Too little too late IMHO, although it would be good if they offered Sky Sports F1 HD stand alone for a reasonable fee per month.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Is Sky Atlantic better than HBO Europe set of channels?
  • Options
    a4704a4704 Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »

Having watched it at a friends house, who has basically every channel under the sun I'd say yes - Sky's picks are better suited to the UK. :)
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »

No in a nutshell as HBONordic has tonnes of shows on it included shows from other networks too such as the walking dead, Sky Atlantic imo is a joke of a channel.
    http://hbonordic.com/home
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Any sign of when we can expect these channels yet?
  • Options
    MARKIVMARKIV Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    The Virgin boss says "This promises to be a fantastic summer of entertainment and our customers". So summer?

However, MediaBoy reckons mid June http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/mb-views-when-will-new-sky-sports-hd.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Shawna wrote: »
    Glad to hear it I've been a virgin customer for 14 years now and no complaints they seem to improve every year so this sounds really good :D