11yr old arrested for sticking pins in classmates

Comments

• Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It worries me that some people think a kid stabbing 30 classmates is "just kids being kids".

It isn't.

The length of the needle is also pretty much irrelevant other than in dictating the likely extent of injuries incurred.

As for police involvement, well I'm not sure, it seems like something that at 11 could possibly be sorted out in a different way. But I mean were he 15 and doing that sort of thing it could be viewed very differently and almost certainly involve the police.

I hate to say it but it feels to me that without any corporal punishment incidents like this are very hard for schools to manage effectively.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are missing the point. It's the random
    needler who is making them all share blood. And even last century TCP couldn't help ameliorate the risks of doing that so most kids being bright enough and educated enough to know sharing blood is risky is a good thing

I think you're somewhat missing the point also ...
    nanscombe wrote: »
    ... Diabetes test pin? I suppose they can't use a pair of compasses to accomplish the same task like we used to.

I was remembering the past (30+ years ago) when it was unlikely that school children serially slept around or share needles and the most likely used drugs were alcohol and nicotine.

I was under the impression that the likes of blades, knives and compasses had been banned from schools for years anyway.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think social services may have been more use to the boy than the police in this situation. It's not really in the realms of 'normal' behaviour is it?
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think social services may have been more use to the boy than the police in this situation. It's not really in the realms of 'normal' behaviour is it?

The police would have involved social services
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Kids do daft things some times.If I were the parent of a stabbe though, I'd be irritated too, not enough to call the police but enough to have my child checked over.

ION: I was having lunch in the park on Tuesday, and I watched as a group of lads , probably 13 years old or thereabouts, were getting one lad to kneel with his back to group, keep his legs apart whilst each of the other lads kicked a football at his bum from close range,sensibly the kneeling boy kept a firm grip of his genitals...

I didn't call the police, but they arrived anyway, some one must have complained.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    It is odd behaviour, I can that jabbing your mate with a needle or a pair of compasses, as a joke between friends but to stab 20 other kids just seems weird.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

As for the trick ring, no I don't believe I ever saw one of those. Can you still legally get them now?

Probably been banned by Elf'n safety, along with rings which gave a shock, itching powder, sneezing powder, squirty flowers, what a dull world todays kids live in. However Injuries 4 U lawyers are probably queuing up at the school gates rubbing their hands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    How did he have time stab 20 + kids?

Was the teacher having a nap??
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    So you are glad that an 11 year old now has a police record.? I can't believe some of the comments on here, weren't they ever kids.?

I was a kid, but NEVER did anything like that boy has done!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Why not? Jabbing one kid for 'fun' is one thing, but twenty? That's a kid that needs some strange idea(s) inside his head nipped in the bud before he graduates onto something a bit bigger than a diabetes pen thingy.

When I was at school there was a brief fad where some kids would go around sticking pins up other kids arses.
    It was treated as a laugh by everyone, the pupils I mean. It was a case of hoping you didn't get a pin up your arse that day for a while.
    It's wrong, but it was a joke.

Obviously it was dealt with when the teachers caught wind of it. I think they found out when a teacher sat on a pin that some kid put on their chair.
    But it was dealt with quite easily and promptly nipped in the bud. There was no need for the police to be brought in.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a 3mm needle. Hardly likely to hit a major organ. :)

No, but perfectly capable of transmitting various infections. Some of which can be serious!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    It worries me that some people think a kid stabbing 30 classmates is "just kids being kids".

It isn't.

The length of the needle is also pretty much irrelevant other than in dictating the likely extent of injuries incurred.

As for police involvement, well I'm not sure, it seems like something that at 11 could possibly be sorted out in a different way. But I mean were he 15 and doing that sort of thing it could be viewed very differently and almost certainly involve the police.

I hate to say it but it feels to me that without any corporal punishment incidents like this are very hard for schools to manage effectively.

But it is.
    It happened for a brief period at my school where it wasn't even just one kid. It might have been about five or even more. In their minds and everyone else's they were just doing it for a prank.
    Kids do do things like this. It doesn't make it right, but they do.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at school there was a brief fad where some kids would go around sticking pins up other kids arses.
    It was treated as a laugh by everyone, the pupils I mean. It was a case of hoping you didn't get a pin up your arse that day for a while.
    It's wrong, but it was a joke.

Obviously it was dealt with when the teachers caught wind of it. I think they found out when a teacher sat on a pin that some kid put on their chair.
    But it was dealt with quite easily and promptly nipped in the bud. There was no need for the police to be brought in.
    But as I, and others have, alluded to further to that post (of mine), that sounds like everyone was aware of and 'in' on the 'joke'. Was it maybe even a 'rite-of-passage' thing? That, whilst not pleasant, sounds a lot less sinister than one kid bringing a medical instrument from home and repeatedly jabbing twenty to thirty kids with it that were totally not expecting it. Like I said, I can see why you might do it once and when your victim screams you might go 'Oh shit, sorry mate, I didn't know it would hurt so much', but to do it another twenty-odd times when you know it's painful? That, to me, suggests something that shouldn't be dismissed as a simple childish prank. Maybe arresting him was OTT, but I don't know the 'official' procedures that need to be followed if the police get involved, and it's not as the school can really do anything that would scare him. Who cares about being suspended or even expelled when you're eleven?
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    No, they are not qualified to decide if a crime has taken place nor can they make that decision on behalf of the pupils who were affected by this.

It is for the police to decide in conjunction with the pupils parents, after taking all evidence into account.

A crime? Seriously? I think people are acting way over the top about this. Kids have done this sort of thing for, um, ever. Not me, I hasten to add, but I have been pricked, more than once during my school years, and worse. I suspect he thought it was a huge joke, nothing more sinister about it at all.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a little prick.

YAY! :D
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    My 6 year old niece slapped my 5 year old cousin because he wasn't sharing his Lego on the weekend.

I better go call the cops.

I'll miss those two. I wonder how they will do in the big house.

We aren't talking about a 5 or 6 year old hitting one person out of temper or frustration, but if you think that's the same thing then carry on.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    A crime? Seriously?

Well that's how things have changed over the last 30+ years.

Kids going around stabbing each other with pins, or compasses, would have been considered naughty and the teachers would simply have put a stop to it. Perhaps they would have made an example of one or two of the ringleaders in the process.

Now it's probably not even about the needle but what disease MIGHT be on the needle, or at least transferred by it. Either that or they would simply be using a real knife to do the stabbing.

If someone spat at you 30 years ago you just wiped it off and thought no more about it.

If someone spits at you now it's probably treated as assault and you will possibly have to undergo medical tests just to see whether the person has passed on an infection or not.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A crime? Seriously? I think people are acting way over the top about this. Kids have done this sort of thing for, um, ever. Not me, I hasten to add, but I have been pricked, more than once during my school years, and worse. I suspect he thought it was a huge joke, nothing more sinister about it at all.

Yeah, seriously. Can you estimate how many times you were pricked by a syringe/medical device that delivers drugs into the body by your fellow pupils?

We know now exactly what the 'pin' was and what it contained. We know the kids that were jabbed haven't been injected with anything toxic or something that could be infectious.

We know this because the incident was investigated by the police so they can find this stuff out and decide if a crime had been commited or not.

Even back in the 'good old days' a kid jabbing loads of other kids with what could be a syringe WOULD be taken seriously.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, seriously. Can you estimate how many times you were pricked by a syringe/medical device that delivers drugs into the body by your fellow pupils?

We know now exactly what the 'pin' was and what it contained. We know the kids that were jabbed haven't been injected with anything toxic or something that could be infectious.

We know this because the incident was investigated by the police so they can find this stuff out and decide if a crime had been commited or not.

Even back in the 'good old days' a kid jabbing loads of other kids with what could be a syringe WOULD be taken seriously.

It wasn't a syringe. It was a lancet (needle to prick the skin, used by diabetics). It does not deliver drugs in to your body. This could have been solved by a discussion between parent(s) and teacher.

I was pricked by a dirty old compass point. Shock, horror. I don't recall even actually telling my parents, or my teacher.
    Forum Member
    It wasn't a syringe. It was a lancet (needle to prick the skin, used by diabetics). It does not deliver drugs in to your body. This could have been solved by a discussion between parent(s) and teacher.

I was pricked by a dirty old compass point. Shock, horror. I don't recall even actually telling my parents, or my teacher.

And did the person who pricked you with a compass point also do the same at least 20 others in the same manner?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    And did the person who pricked you with a compass point also do the same at least 20 others in the same manner?

I don't know about this poster, but I know that at our school we went round pricking anybody in reach and trying to avoid them doing it to you. Ah happy days.:D
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    At my school a boy out a pin on a teacher's chair did the teacher call the police NO.
    All he did is put the pin back on the wall.

Did you even read the article? what this child did, can't be compared to that :confused:
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I stand corrected, but the point still stands IMO. There's no way of knowing if the needle was contaminated with something that can cause harm. Once kids need to be checked by doctors then IMO it does need to be investigated thoroughly.
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I don't know about this poster, but I know that at our school we went round pricking anybody in reach and trying to avoid them doing it to you. Ah happy days.:D

We didn't. Well I didn't and I certainly didn't know anyone who brought something into school for the specific purpose of pricking others.
    Forum Member
    I stand corrected, but the point still stands IMO. There's no way of knowing if the needle was contaminated with something that can cause harm. Once kids need to be checked by doctors then IMO it does need to be investigated thoroughly.

:) That's absolutely fine. We just agree to disagree. No problem.