Options

After Clara

Comments

• Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Willing to bet that to capatalise on the recent success of the show in the US, that the next companion after Clara will be American. ;)
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codename wrote:
    Willing to bet that to capatalise on the recent success of the show in the US, that the next companion after Clara will be American. ;)

Interesting.:D
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halle berry :-)
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Claire Danes, she is American.:D
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does he allways have to have a female human present day companion ?. Maybe tehy should do something different. Important thing is the new person loves the show and wants the job. Pick whoever is the best actor or actress and start from there.
  • Options
    brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would pick Tommy Bastow (Joe from the BT ads), playing a First World War soldier, who has always been listed as killed, and therefore can't return to his own time.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Jen from The IT Crowd.

Only if he picks up all three of them as their characters. That would be so epic. :)
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »
    Halle berry :-)

Can't they get an actress?
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Personally I would pick Tommy Bastow (Joe from the BT ads), playing a First World War soldier, who has always been listed as killed, and therefore can't return to his own time.

Interesting idea but I think it's safe to assume we'll get a new female companion first after Clara and then maybe another male added into the mix if Danny isn't kept on.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    Why does he always have to have a female human present day companion ?. Maybe they should do something different. Important thing is the new person loves the show and wants the job. Pick whoever is the best actor or actress and start from there.
    It would be refreshing for once to have either a companion from another time (either past or future) or an alien companion.

For a ever changing show, the companion being from present day earth almost constantly is one area where the format is a little to stuck in it's ways. I know there are a few exceptions in classic who but it's still been 99% modern day earth companions.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be refreshing for once to have either a companion from another time (either past or future) or an alien companion.

For a ever changing show, the companion being from present day earth almost constantly is one area where the format is a little to stuck in it's ways. I know there are a few exceptions in classic who but it's still been 99% modern day earth companions.

Apart from Ben and Polly, 2 had humans from the past or future and 4 had only Sarah and Harry and then aliens (I don't count Tegan for 4), 5 had a good mix of human and alien. 6 onwards were all contemporary humans.

I agree though, the show could probably do with shaking up a bit in companion department. It is possible to have an alien humanoid companion that could still ask the questions. Leela was a primitive alien but was also probably one of the shows most popular companions!

Also, lets let a few companions leave for good. Always good to see old companions on special anniversaries etc but not to always pop up in the next 1-2 seasons after they've left.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, they've never done that before. (I know you know....)

Someone runs into thread in a fetching but terribly 80's leotard and shorts combo, and yells;

"Daaacturrrr!"

(I run out of thread pursued by angry Daveyboy.....)

Jesting. Nicola's alright. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't really feel we need an alien companion and even if we got one, they would just look humanoid anyways.

I do think however we're overdue a regular period companion and it would be cool if we got one and they weren't from either Victorian times or a World War era but I could see either happening when we do get one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I don't really feel we need an alien companion and even if we got one, they would just look humanoid anyways.

I do think however we're overdue a regular period companion and it would be cool if we got one and they weren't from either Victorian times or a World War era but I could see either happening when we do get one.

Something besides the cute, young female would be a nice change. That is what made Wilfred's brief stay as a companion so refreshing in my opinion; he wasn't yet another cute, young female. (Not that I mind cute, young females, but I don't care for the predictability of it.)
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Hmm. Period companion, you say? Maybe Nefertiti... or Jenny (no, not that one, the other one)... or John Riddell

Alien companion? Madame Vastra, Strax, Jenny (no, not the other one, that one)

:D
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheridan Smith
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    Maybe when Jenna decides to move onto other roles, when the time is right for her, Romola Garai could possibly become a companion, maybe from the 1920's. I enjoyed her acting In The Hour but a challenge is something she could encompass.:D

This is a good suggestion, the only thing I really have seen her in is the Glorious 39 film, and she was impressive.

A big chance that they would be this if we got a period companion I would agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Something besides the cute, young female would be a nice change. That is what made Wilfred's brief stay as a companion so refreshing in my opinion; he wasn't yet another cute, young female. (Not that I mind cute, young females, but I don't care for the predictability of it.)

To be fair, we've had male companions - Mickey, Jack, Wilfred, Rory and soon, Danny, older female companions like Donna and River (Sarah Jane too by the revived series standards), so there has been something of a mix.

I don't see the show ever breaking away from 20 something female companions ever but as long as another companion (male, older, historical, etc) are thrown into the mix as well, I have no complaints.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, we've had male companions - Mickey, Jack, Wilfred, Rory and soon, Danny, older female companions like Donna and River (Sarah Jane too by the revived series standards), so there has been something of a mix.

I don't see the show ever breaking away from 20 something female companions ever but as long as another companion (male, older, historical, etc) are thrown into the mix as well, I have no complaints.

None of those were ever the main companion. Also, with the single exception of Jack, who was there to be in the wonderful Torchwood spin-off series, they were all there simply because they knew the female companion. Mickey was incompetent and useless love interest (as compared to the hyper-competent Rose). Wilfred was the washed-up old grandfather (as compared to the Doctor-Donna Donna), Rory was the incompetent and useless love interest (as compared to Amy). They were all there solely because of the female companion.

It would simply be nice to have a male companion there as the sidekick for his own sake and not as a tag along to the female companion (preferably as the only sidekick at the time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know how Danny Pink is going to join the show. Looks like moffat is going back to the beginning. Barbara and Ian were both teachers. Just like Clara and Danny are going to be. Look forward to meeting him in S8.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know how Danny Pink is going to join the show. Looks like moffat is going back to the beginning. Barbara and Ian were both teachers. Just like Clara and Danny are going to be. Look forward to meeting him in S8.:)

I don't know this Danny Pink guy, but I do look forward to Series 8 and I look forward to seeing him. :)
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Was just wondering if anyone had an actor wish list for a companion to travel with Capaldi's Doctor after Clara leaves.

I've been watching In The Flesh and Emily Bevan is so DoctorWhoCompanionesque (new word alert) I would love to see her in the role.

Wouldn't surprise me if the BBC were on the phone to "sexiest female" Michelle Keegan as we speak. I'm not saying that's who I'd want. But I know the way executives' minds work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    None of those were ever the main companion. Also, with the single exception of Jack, who was there to be in the wonderful Torchwood spin-off series, they were all there simply because they knew the female companion. Mickey was incompetent and useless love interest (as compared to the hyper-competent Rose). Wilfred was the washed-up old grandfather (as compared to the Doctor-Donna Donna), Rory was the incompetent and useless love interest (as compared to Amy). They were all there solely because of the female companion.

It would simply be nice to have a male companion there as the sidekick for his own sake and not as a tag along to the female companion (preferably as the only sidekick at the time).

They were in enough episodes/had their names in opening credits that it still counts.

I like male companions but I don't want a Sherlock/Watson thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the dynamic of 11,Amy and Rory. Hope 12 will enjoy his travels with Clara and Danny. Doctor loves his freinds. However he knows it is dangerous traveling time and space with them. Doctor can regenrate his freinds can't . They are human,mortal. That's why it is so sad when they leave him however that happens. Hope Clara does get a good exit when the time comes. Plus if JC gets really desperate for work she could allways return as Jasmine in Emmerdale to stir things up with Cain and Debbie!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were in enough episodes/had their names in opening credits that it still counts.

I like male companions but I don't want a Sherlock/Watson thing.

The Troughton/Jamie McCrimmon dynamic was very good. :)