Weddings!!

beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
Forum Member
Has anybody else found wedding venue choosing extremely stressful?

My other half wants to get married but has made zero effort in researching venues/suits etc and has left it up to me to do it all and it is driving me insane. Coupled with, I find a venue I like and my mum picks fault with it and completely knocks the excitement out of it.

I thought being engaged was supposed to be exciting?! I am just completely stressed out by it, and feel inclined to cancel the whole thing. Has anyone else found this?

Comments

• 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, o/p, weddings are hideous, and boring to everyone who has to endure them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beast1982 wrote: »
    Has anybody else found wedding venue choosing extremely stressful?

My other half wants to get married but has made zero effort in researching venues/suits etc and has left it up to me to do it all and it is driving me insane. Coupled with, I find a venue I like and my mum picks fault with it and completely knocks the excitement out of it.

I thought being engaged was supposed to be exciting?! I am just completely stressed out by it, and feel inclined to cancel the whole thing. Has anyone else found this?

I have found in life that the more people you involve the more insane things start to get. Unfortunately it would be better if you do not involve your mother and consider getting advice from a professional. Moms and friends can drive you up the wall. It is your day so as long as you and your other half are good - bugger everyone else.

http://www.quirkyweddings.co.uk/

http://www.beforethebigday.co.uk/search/label/DIY
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) If your other half wants to get married then they should be putting in some of the effort towards planning it.
    2) Screw what anyone else has to say about what you like, including your mum.
    3) As with most things, it's only as stressful as you make it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this wedding:

http://lovemydress.net/blog/2012/05/embroidered-vintage-tablecloth-dress.html

What sort of ideas did you have?
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sympathise. I can't get my OH to suggest what colour I should paint a room, so I'd be banging my head off a wall with wedding venues. X Castle? Too expensive. Such and such church? Dunno, what do you think? Argh! >:(:D Weddings are all about the bride, aren't they? Or so I hear.:blush:

I've not been married, and will be unlikely to any time soon, so I can't really help, however the alarm bells are ringing at your mother veto'ing your suggestions. Unless she's paying for the venue, I'd be tactfully reminding her that it is your wedding and you will decide where you're getting married.
  • beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the support guys. A family member actually has a farm so I would have quite liked to have a marquee in one or their fields and have a village fete theme with bunting and games but a generator to power it all seems to be causing my brain to freeze.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did bugger all for my wedding, I had zero say in it whatsoever, but I did get to plan the honeymoon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the support guys. A family member actually has a farm so I would have quite liked to have a marquee in one or their fields and have a village fete theme with bunting and games but a generator to power it all seems to be causing my brain to freeze.

That sounds great. You can easily rent generators from one of those hire shops that hire out scaffolding etc. (HSS is one.) You might have to hire a couple of loos as well.

I like non-hotel weddings. Hotels always feel a wee bit corporate to me, as if they have done too many weddings and lost all their spark. I was once at one that had three receptions going at once. They were very professional, but professionalism isn't everything.
  • beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    I just don't know how powerful a generator needs to be, I have NO clue. And with no family constructively helping, I'm afraid of it all going wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't know how powerful a generator needs to be, I have NO clue. And with no family constructively helping, I'm afraid of it all going wrong

I think you are trying to be too independent.

If you have nerves of steel, you can hire a plain marquee, borrow the furniture from the local scouts or church hall for a modest fee, hire a couple of portaloos, hire a generator and heater (talk to the hire shop and they will advise) and get talented friends to do all the decorating.

Or for a much higher fee you can google 'wedding marquees' and find any number of companies who will do the lot: marquee, wooden flooring, furniture, bar fittings, generators, heating, loos, decorations etc. It is always easy to find people to arrange your wedding reception if you don't mind spending money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whoever hires them out would know. :)
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cap the DJ at 3 Watts per speaker, just in case of overload
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Don't bother, weddings are purely for the benefit of other people, not the married couple.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    a picnic, with packed baskets and gingham cloths for each "table", in a meadow with a ragtime band would be lovely.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find planning my wedding that difficult to be honest... but that's probably because event planning was a large part of my job description!

I suggest you make a 'job sheet' of everything that needs doing, who will do it, and their contact details. Break the planning up into little chunks, and give yourself plenty of time to work. Farm out as much of the responsibility as you can afford to outside companies, and as much as you can to family members. (For example, if you went down the farm route, make sure the family member is the one to contact the marquee company / generator hire and tell them about access to the field, and to put up signs nearby directing people to the wedding. You don't want to spend the day before your wedding trying to explain where a gate is in a 20 acre field!)

Making a list of everything you have to do can seem daunting, but that's the best way to make sure you've covered everything. Delegate as much as you can to other people. I know Mums can be bossy (especially if they're contributing to the cost), but also remind yourself that as her daughter she wants to share your special day. Try and enjoy working with her - or failing that, give her a few jobs she can get stuck into to keep her occupied!

Your OH should also be helping out, or at least be a sounding-board for your ideas. After all, it's his day as well, isn't it?

I tried to do everything myself, and I managed 90% of it... but what really suprised me was that when I needed help with the last 10% people were so willing to help us out!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    1) If your other half wants to get married then they should be putting in some of the effort towards planning it.
    2) Screw what anyone else has to say about what you like, including your mum.
    3) As with most things, it's only as stressful as you make it.

1 - No, blokes don't care, they will get married wherever. Besides can't be blamed if it's wrong.

2 - Yes, it's your day so it's your say.

3 - Very true.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly I love weddings so much I've had two ;)

The first one was very traditional, I sorted it all myself and was stressed to my eyeballs. I don't even remember enjoying the day.

When it came to planning the second one there was no way I was going to go through that again so we just went off on our own and got married. There was zero involvement from anyone else and no guests, also zero stress. We had a wonderful time and it was just about us, no one else.

It's guests who cause stress and problems at weddings. I found that not having any guests removed ALL the stress and worry. I know this approach is not for everyone but it worked for us :D
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member

That sounds like a really nice idea. I'm about as far away from getting married as possible but whenever I think about it I always have an internal conflict, big fancy wedding or small casual wedding ^_^

Good luck with the planning and I hope the big day goes well ^_^
  • MrsCloumboMrsCloumbo Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel for you Beast.

I would say keep it as simple as absolutely possible and avoid becoming a bridezilla.

Never lose focus ... the day is about your celebration of the love and commitment between you and your life partner.

All too often it turns into the best cake, the fabulous dress, the best in show flowers, and on and on .....
    all the material things which just are extras and should not
    really matter often seem to dominate and take over the day.

It's about 2 people and love.
    Pare it down, keep it simple, preserve your sanity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I agree with you, o/p, weddings are hideous, and boring to everyone who has to endure them!
    Just go for a package deal. Local pub/hotel type package. All in, the ceremony, reception, evening party, DJ, decorations and bridal suite. If you want a photographer and florist the hotel usually knows of one at a discount.
    Most of these venues have varying packages depending on what you can afford. It takes a huge amount of stress out of it.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't have to be a pain, and don't have to take months in the planning or cost a fortune.
    Keep it simple, concentrate on what matters and enjoy.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to a wedding. Ever.

I suppose the closest i've ever been is when a cousin of mine got married and my mum got an invite that was something akin to "well he'd obviously be welcome if he wanted to come, but we assumed he wouldn't be interested" :)
  • MrsCloumboMrsCloumbo Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also want to add...
    Never mind about your mum, his mum, anyones mum, or anyone else.
    The day is yours and his and about you so just please yourselves.
    The farm sounds really lovely to me and I'm sure everyone will feel the love, as they say!
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find planning ours very stressful at all. I'm a bloke and got involved in all the planning as I had distinct ideas of what I wanted. We've got pretty similar taste though so it all went really smoothly.

I'm not sure what it's got to do with your mum though. We didn't involve anyone else at all, everything got booked and the first thing anyone else knew about the venue etc was when we told them we'd booked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's guests who cause stress and problems at weddings. I found that not having any guests removed ALL the stress and worry. I know this approach is not for everyone but it worked for us :D

Lol, but most of us like having our friends round us.

I have two friends who had their reception in the local village hall and asked everyone to bring food to share in lieu of a present. It made for a very warm, simple, cheerful wedding (though there was far too much food).