Options

People who cook but don't eat...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a couple of friends in this situation. They are both on strict diets.

One of them keeps having tea parties for charity. You pay a tenner, all of which goes to charity, and go to her house, which is full of the most lavish selection of cakes and snacks. She then eats nothing, but bustles round heaping up other peoples' plates. I find it all a pain in the arse to be honest. I battled with my weight for decades before achieving a fragile kind of equilibrium a few years ago, and I can promise that 'tea' is not a meal I recognise. Who on earth eats 'tea' these days? I have lunch, then six hours later I have dinner. The last thing in the world i want is to shovel cake down in between.

The other friend does not give tea parties, but turns up at every social event with some incredibly elaborate and beautiful cake she has obviously spent hours over, then hands it round, eating none herself.

The second one, who I know better, I have now told that I simply don't eat cake, and last time she didn't offer me any, which was fine. The first one, I am not quite sure what to say; she does got to an awful lot of trouble, and it obviously means a lot to her, but I just can't face another shitstorm of home made cake at 4pm. I had thought of writing to her next time I get an invitation and saying "Sorry, but I can't eat at all at tea time, but here's a tenner for the charity", on the grounds that 'can't' might be more persuasive, with its vague implication of health issues, than 'don't want to'.

But isn't it a bit odd to spend so much time and trouble cooking things you don't eat? I feel as if both of them are constantly having to test and demonstrate their self-control, preferably by proving that other people don't have it. But it wouldn't attract me at all. Since I don't eat cake, I'm damned if I'm going to spend time cooking it.

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But isn't it a bit odd to spend so much time and trouble cooking things you don't eat?

Nope. I frequently make dishes I don't like.

I truly can't stand tofu-based and bean-based dishes, the sort that makes me want to vomit in a kitchen bin, but I make them for my family.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find if I've been cooking all day I'm usually too tired or worked up to eat. I'll usually grab something later which usually comprises of some microwave/instant junk that I don't have to bother cooking.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    We have someone at work like that. She's in the office every other week and each week she's in she brings 36 cupcakes, there's only 12 of us here! They are home made and delicious but it drives me mad. I'm on Weight Watchers so I'm very careful with what I eat, and I have no willpower so having these cakes behind me (that's where any food that's brought in goes, it's the only free place) is killer.

She doesn't eat any of them herself. We're convinced she's some sort of feeder.

It got too much for all of us recently and we made May a cake free month in the office, no-one was allowed to bring in cakes of any kind. She was so offended. We had a "no cakes" sign on our door which she tore down as soon as she got in on the 2nd June.
  • Options
    annelieseanneliese Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure this does not apply to your friends, but in people suffering with eating disorders they almost always make food (extravagant, delicious food such as cakes and difficult dishes) for others which they will never eat. This is a result of being obsessed with food in their minds, and wanting to feed others.
    Perhaps if they are dieting, this is a result of preoccupation of food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Nope. I frequently make dishes I don't like.

I truly can't stand tofu-based and bean-based dishes, the sort that makes me want to vomit in a kitchen bin, but I make them for my family.
    :D ha ha yes, I have a vegan daughter and do have to cook rather dismal things for her when she is with me.

Well yes. The word had struck me, then I wondered if it was a bit mean. I feel as if some people not only have to deny themselves food, but prove to themselves on a regular basis that other people are weaker than they are.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    anneliese wrote: »
    I'm sure this does not apply to your friends, but in people suffering with eating disorders they almost always make food (extravagant, delicious food such as cakes and difficult dishes) for others which they will never eat. This is a result of being obsessed with food in their minds, and wanting to feed others.

That would explain my colleague. I think she's a veteran of Slimming World (which must have worked because she looks amazing). I couldn't do that, if I'm making food I'm eating it :blush:
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That describes my aunt to a tee. She was obsessed with cooking for everyone and always laid on a feast whenever she had people round for a visit. She always claimed that she'd picked so much food while she was preparing it for everyone else that she was too full to eat another crumb and yet she would be very keen on making sure others filled their plates and would keep insisting you ate just a little bit more until you were full to bursting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's weird isn't it. I'm in groups with other girls with eating disorders, and we've all laughed at the hundreds and hundreds of cupcakes we've made over the years. Seems as if we all go through a 'cupcake phase'. I still make food for others occasionally, but my family can see through it and see it as a ploy to make them eat or because my mind is so hungry for food I have to involve myself in it. This is perhaps a bit extreme, but there was a study of a group of men who were restricted to just under 1000 calories a day. Within days they became obsessed with hoarding and stashing food, going through rubbish in hospital bins to see that food wasn't wasted, counting calories obsessively and began to make and feed others with food they'd made. So I'm sure that dieting comes into it. The human mind is a very fickle thing.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't there a young lady who used to post on here in that situation? She made cakes and kept a food blog, but never ate herself and eventually died of anorexia?
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love cooking and I love eating. I always eat what I make though. Maybe they just like seeing people enjoy their food. Whenever we have a dinner party I always get pleasure from seeing people enjoying the food and praising it.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like obsession with food to me - and the pleasure of 'being in control, when others aren't.

Not really pretty, however 'nice' their motives.

My Father was a heart case, but he LOVED all those big puds and stuff and it gutted him to have to give it all up.

My brother was rather underweight at a teenager and my Dad (who really wasn't a cook) used to make him stupid afters from bread pudding and custard and watch him eat them while Dad drooled.

He said he had to get some pleasure from food even if it was only vicarious.

So perhaps your friends have a bit of this too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I love cooking and I love eating. I always eat what I make though. Maybe they just like seeing people enjoy their food. Whenever we have a dinner party I always get pleasure from seeing people enjoying the food and praising it.

I am the same as yourself, I love too cook and cook for others. I always make the wife her meals (not always the same as mine) and often cook meals for my parents, the in-laws and her gran. I am excellent at cooking and people close to me love it, but I am crap at things like DIY and electrics (which my FIL is awesome at), so it works as a bit of a trade off - he may come and fix up some lights for me, or some new kitchen blinds and I can repay him in really tasty food. :)

I also tend not to eat that much unhealthy food, but still love to cook it for others.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Some people just really enjoy cooking. I do. I find it immensely relaxing and enjoyable. I don't do diets, but if I did, I would probably continue to cook for my family and friends. I find it far more odd to love food and not be bothered to learn how to cook.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there a young lady who used to post on here in that situation? She made cakes and kept a food blog, but never ate herself and eventually died of anorexia?

Yes, poor girl. She was really sweet. One of the worst things I've ever seen on this forum was when some ignorant ****** accused her, pretty brutally, of lying about her illness because of her blog and her obvious obsession with food. She died not long after that. I've never been able to see this guy's name on my screen without feeling angry.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't eat dairy. I wouldn't expect guests not to have it or put up with substitutes. When I invite people over I buy it and cook with it to use it up. I also never usually add salt but I do when guests are over because mist people use it.

I also prefer fruity desserts. That doesn't mean that I don't provide chocolate or cake ones for guests.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yes, poor girl. She was really sweet. One of the worst things I've ever seen on this forum was when some ignorant ****** accused her, pretty brutally, of lying about her illness because of her blog and her obvious obsession with food. She died not long after that. I've never been able to see this guy's name on my screen without feeling angry.

Yes, that was absolutely terrible. And shows the, fairly common unfortunately, ignorance of eating disorders.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I remember her. Bless her.

I thought of her straight away when I started reading this thread.

My mum used to have food issues, ate like a sparrow well the rest of us were dished up double portions :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh god yes, that poor poor girl. Up to that moment, I'd never known of another anorexic who did die, other than ones in magazines, television or celebrities like Karen Carpenter, so it really really really shocked me and frightened me. I'm sure she was on her way to recovery as well when she died, which makes it all the more devastating.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Oh god yes, that poor poor girl. Up to that moment, I'd never known of another anorexic who did die, other than ones in magazines, television or celebrities like Karen Carpenter, so it really really really shocked me and frightened me. I'm sure she was on her way to recovery as well when she died, which makes it all the more devastating.

recovery i a very common time for anorexics to die
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I was going to say this too. And, as with any eating disorder, it's a control issue.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose there could be more than one explanation. Are they thin and forever on a diet? Some people like that maybe subconsciously want others to be fat so they continue to look thin. Others have mentioned wanting to seem like they're in control of their eating, it makes them feel superior in some way. Or maybe they think they're being nice by making elaborate things to eat.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go anymore.

Is it possible she's bulimic? Maybe she waits until the party's over, scoffs all the uneaten cakes then purges?
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have someone at work like that. She's in the office every other week and each week she's in she brings 36 cupcakes, there's only 12 of us here! They are home made and delicious but it drives me mad. I'm on Weight Watchers so I'm very careful with what I eat, and I have no willpower so having these cakes behind me (that's where any food that's brought in goes, it's the only free place) is killer.

It got too much for all of us recently and we made May a cake free month in the office, no-one was allowed to bring in cakes of any kind. She was so offended. We had a "no cakes" sign on our door which she tore down as soon as she got in on the 2nd June.
    :D:That made me laugh. I love making all different kinds of cakes for the family, problem is, I love eating them too.:)
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird isn't it. I'm in groups with other girls with eating disorders, and we've all laughed at the hundreds and hundreds of cupcakes we've made over the years. Seems as if we all go through a 'cupcake phase'. I still make food for others occasionally, but my family can see through it and see it as a ploy to make them eat or because my mind is so hungry for food I have to involve myself in it. This is perhaps a bit extreme, but there was a study of a group of men who were restricted to just under 1000 calories a day. Within days they became obsessed with hoarding and stashing food, going through rubbish in hospital bins to see that food wasn't wasted, counting calories obsessively and began to make and feed others with food they'd made. So I'm sure that dieting comes into it. The human mind is a very fickle thing.

A friend pointed out that people of the older generation (who remember rationing) often feed out of love. In days of shortage sharing your food was a sign of affection and respect. Being able to offer people too much food and seeing them indulge was seen as a positive thing. A lot of them carried this attitude all their lives, even when food was in abundance, and I think a lot of them conditioned their families to think in the same way!

She explained it was why my Nan was always pushing extra food on us as children. It was one way she could show us her affection.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some people, baking and cooking is a hobby. Especially with caking, the artistry and creativity that can be involved is so much fun.

I make a lot of cupcakes as gifts, and majority of the time I do not eat any. If I made 'spares' every time I baked them, I'd get really fat. I do not want that to happen.

I do genuinely love baking and decorating cupcakes, and I really hope my friends and loved ones do not have such negative attitude towards me as WonkeyDonkey seems to have towards her pal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some people, baking and cooking is a hobby. Especially with caking, the artistry and creativity that can be involved is so much fun.

I make a lot of cupcakes as gifts, and majority of the time I do not eat any. If I made 'spares' every time I baked them, I'd get really fat. I do not want that to happen.

I do genuinely love baking and decorating cupcakes, and I really hope my friends and loved ones do not have such negative attitude towards me as WonkeyDonkey seems to have towards her pal.

Exactly. I am the same and love giving food gifts to others. I don't experience any negativity though, only people asking for more! :)