Options

The HARRY POTTER Books

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the epilogue was perfect to be honest with you. The kids have grown up and are living the life they fought for. Throughout the book there is rank corruption in the Ministry of Magic including bigotry against Muggleborn wizards. People being marked and discriminated against for who they are. Against, through no fault of their own, their own lineage.

Harry fought for love and freedom and he and his friends are now, by all accounts living in a free and peaceful world. What better way to end by having the trio see off their children to live a peaceful life at Hogwarts to live a trouble free education. Something Harry, by fate, never really had. :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I thought the epilogue was perfect to be honest with you. The kids have grown up and are living the life they fought for. Throughout the book there is rank corruption in the Ministry of Magic including bigotry against Muggleborn wizards. People being marked and discriminated against for who they are. Against, through no fault of their own, their own lineage.

Harry fought for love and freedom and he and his friends are now, by all accounts living in a free and peaceful world. What better way to end by having the trio see off their children to live a peaceful life at Hogwarts to live a trouble free education. Something Harry, by fate, never really had. :)

I agree with this. It was lovely to see a happy ending for them all.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh at a rather cynical blog I read somewhere imagining a more credible epilogue, imagining adult Harry as an alcoholic and in therapy, struggling to cope with his traumatic adolescence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to laugh at a rather cynical blog I read somewhere imagining a more credible epilogue, imagining adult Harry as an alcoholic and in therapy, struggling to cope with his traumatic adolescence.

He seemed to cope pretty well with his mistreatment of the Dursley's that's for sure. :D
  • Options
    The Governor DThe Governor D Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Harry Potter thread!

Lord I havent read this in years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry Potter thread!

Lord I havent read this in years!

No, you wouldn't have-because the first post was on May 2 this year!
  • Options
    Vanilla CreamsVanilla Creams Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    He seemed to cope pretty well with his mistreatment of the Dursley's that's for sure. :D

Child abuse in a childrens novel! :D

It was read to me in Primary School by my teacher and I thought it was 'mean' but not child abuse.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read GOF as my first book after I had seen the first two films as my husband (then boyfriend) thought it would be a good starting point. BIG mistake and its now my fave book and fave film lol.

I didn't like the ending of DH (book) as it seemed a bit meh, yes it was good ending to the series but still meh. Also I thought the epilogue read like a bad fan fiction. She could've just left it, rather than that, because they then had to make it into the film and that looked daft in my opinion.
  • Options
    Vanilla CreamsVanilla Creams Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    None of the 3 died.. evil could've prevailed. No?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the 3 died.. evil could've prevailed. No?

That would've been a much better ending imho!
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I would people know that Pottermore has now released the eBooks for generally sale for those with an eBook Reader and interested in owning the Potter Series on it (officially ;))

Link to Pottermore Shop

First Three Books (Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban) - £4.99

The rest are £6.99

The whole collection - £38.64, a grand saving of £4.29, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Child abuse in a childrens novel! :D

It was read to me in Primary School by my teacher and I thought it was 'mean' but not child abuse.

Reading some of the stuff that was in the books. He lived a life of hell with the Dursleys. He dodged a fist or two in his time. He was locked in an empty room even starved if he did something strange, after book 1, he so much as mentioned his Wizard heritage... sounds like Child abuse to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll stick to my unofficial ones lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the digital audio ones i'm more interested in but they're majorly expensive. :eek::D:D

I'm definately keeping them all in mind though for the future, if I ever get myself a Kindle. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although I would never condone this;) I do kind of think JKR deserves this slightly for her snobbish attitude to eBooks, which led to such a delay in the releasing of them (she only did it because she saw how well the uptake of eBooks has gone):)

I remember reading articles about how she said she would never release them in eBook format due to piracy and her love of books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, I'm unemployed and really don't agree with shelling out nearly £40 for books I already have!

I did buy another book today on my Kindle for £5.50 but thats because I don't have the actual book anymore, but I can see my HP books, thats why I don't feel bad about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, I'm unemployed and really don't agree with shelling out nearly £40 for books I already have!

I did buy another book today on my Kindle for £5.50 but thats because I don't have the actual book anymore, but I can see my HP books, thats why I don't feel bad about it.

I see your point. But I would like to collect the kindle ones some day.

So I have the music, the dvd's, the books, the audio... but I guess that's just because I'm a mad Potterhead. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey don't have to convince me:) I wanted Amazon to set something up that if you bought the books from them they would send you a digital copy for free :D:D But that was just because I wanted all my books on the Kindle and didn't want to pay out again for them :)

I understand your reasoning completely :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to have the official ones on my kindle, because the ones I have is the American versions - sneakers, vacation etc. But thats about the only difference!

I do have a question though, now I've bought a book from Amazon, if for some reason I delete it from my Kindle, can I re-download it for free?

I must admit I havent actually bought a book for it, other than that one in the 3 months I've had it, all books I've got, I've *ahem* acquired them, but in my defence I have actually purchased all the books in either paperback or hardback before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to have the official ones on my kindle, because the ones I have is the American versions - sneakers, vacation etc. But thats about the only difference!

I do have a question though, now I've bought a book from Amazon, if for some reason I delete it from my Kindle, can I re-download it for free?

I must admit I havent actually bought a book for it, other than that one in the 3 months I've had it, all books I've got, I've *ahem* acquired them, but in my defence I have actually purchased all the books in either paperback or hardback before.

If you delete a book bought from Amazon then it goes into Archive (essentially it is off your kindle) and you can click it again to re-download, I don't know if there is a limit to amount of times to do this, but I know you can delete a get it back without repaying for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you delete a book bought from Amazon then it goes into Archive (essentially it is off your kindle) and you can click it again to re-download, I don't know if there is a limit to amount of times to do this, but I know you can delete a get it back without repaying for it.

Smashing thanks!

The one I bought is my favourite book, and I think this is the about 5th time I've bought it lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been rereading the first three books, and, while I still rate them highly, there are a couple of things that do come across as a bit ridiculous on second reading.

In Chamber of Secrets, Voldemort has the basilisk set about Harry, without bothering about the phoenix with him. When it looks like the basilisk has done Harry in, the phoenix's tears save him. 'Phoenix tears.. healing powers..Of course....healing powers...I forgot!' cries Voldemort, realising he should have taken out the phoenix first. Yet, he is supposed to be one of the greatest magicians of all time, one of the best pupils Hogwarts ever had! It is surely unrealistic to have him forget such a fundamental principle.

Surely most ridiculous of all, however, is that Hermione has been given special authorisation, by the Ministry of Magic no less, to use the power of time-travel to cram in extra study for exams-and yet they are unwilling to use it to take out Voldemort in some way!
  • Options
    InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Bad pricing in my opinion, and they wonder why people resort to piracy. And I don't know how effective the watermarking is as the official Pottermore versions (both US and UK versions) are all over the Internet for free. I have multiple copies of the books but £7 for a digital version is ridiculous, but then if there's mugs out there that will pay that amount then they'll get away with charging it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    Bad pricing in my opinion, and they wonder why people resort to piracy. And I don't know how effective the watermarking is as the official Pottermore versions (both US and UK versions) are all over the Internet for free. I have multiple copies of the books but £7 for a digital version is ridiculous, but then if there's mugs out there that will pay that amount then they'll get away with charging it.

It is very bad pricing, especially since most people who wanted to read the books will have bought them at this point.

There is little hype sounding the books at the moment (unlike that of the Hunger Games which has had a surge of readers and benefited from being on the Kindle format) so there are not as many people whose curiosity is rising.

Then there is the delay and the limitations of buying from one site only.

All this will probably lead to only the die hard fans (the ones who bought the action figures but not to play with :)) who are likely to buy these again. I however have the complete collection on books so I will have to satisfy myself with reading other books on the kindle.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. It wasn't the most exciting of final chapters but I felt it was completely appropriate and probably nothing could have been so satisfying... maybe a scene with a double wedding for Ron and Hermione and Harry and Ginny, but I think it's much nicer thinking of the next generation of Hogwart's kids.

I love the books, but hate the movies because in my opinion Daniel Radcliffe and many of the others just can't act. I stopped watching them after The Prisoner of Azkaban.

I have all the audiobooks narrated by Stephen Fry and listen to them all at least once or twice a year. I listen to audiobooks almost constantly at work (since I work alone and have nobody to talk to) and also on long, lone car journeys and even when doing the housework or gardening. So I must have "read" the books dozens of times over by now.

The exception is The Order of the Phoenix, which I have read once and have never managed to get through again. Harry is such a whiny, annoying brat but mostly I hate that Hogwarts is no longer a safe and happy place and has been invaded by the bad guys. I'm sure there are many hilarious and great moments in the book but I can't bring myself to sit through the whole thing to find them again.

The Half Blood Prince is my favourite, I adore Slughorn and Harry's private lessons with Dumbledore. I love how he has matured so much.