Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

So here’s what the BBC has in mind to replace Merlin, and it’s sounds pretty exciting to us! Well, it’s from the combined forces behind Misfits and Merlin, after all – Atlantis.

Atlantis is a new 13 part, 45-minute episode series, created and written by Howard Overman (Misfits, Dirk Gently, Vexed, Merlin) for Saturday nights this Autumn on BBC One

The city of Atlantis is a mysterious, ancient place; a world of bull leaping, of snake haired goddesses and of palaces so vast it was said they were built by giants.

It’s into this strange, compelling realm that the young Jason arrives and an amazing adventure begins, bringing to life the vast store of Greek myths and legends re-imagined for a new generation in an action packed 13-part series.

Executive produced by Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy (Merlin, Hex, As If, Sugar Rush) and Howard Overman for their new production company. It will begin shooting in Wales and Morocco in April.

The series will launch on Saturday nights this Autumn and is executive produced for BBC Cymru Wales by Bethan Jones.

Source: http://www.sfx.co.uk...-bbcs-atlantis/

Much as I'm intrigued by this, I do hope it avoids the same narrative missteps that Merlin was guilty of at times.

Comments

• Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how long the reveal will take on Atlantis?? :)
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    I wonder how long the reveal will take on Atlantis?? :)

*Chokes on drink*

Hahahahaha :p
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 1 - I think there might be an earthquake coming

Series 2 - I'm pretty sure there's an earthquake coming

Series 3 - Yes, am sure there's an earthquake coming

Series 4 - Am now convinced there's an earthquake coming

Series 5 Episodes 1 - 12 - There's an earthquake coming!

Series 5 Episode 13 - Earthquake! Everyone drowns
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. I've always been intrigued by things based upon or around Atlantis.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that Alex Vlahos has been cast as Jason. He'd be perfect IMO!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for this and to see the cast unveiled.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has to be a part for Patrick Duffy. :)

Though seriously he will be out of a job soon and he would be an excellent Anthony Head type actor to build interest in the US as well as the UK.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »

Aw, you've spoiled it for me:cry:

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol.

I bet that there will be a cryptic warning/prediction in the first episode that 'ATLANTIS WILL FALL!!!'

After 3-5 series of watching and waiting it will turn out that the warning/prediction was wrong. It will be revealed that Atlantis was in fact the building stone for Mount Olympus (or something equally ridiculous).
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

That's probably summed it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member

You have a genius for satire - that's it exactly.

Also, Series 5 Episode 12 - Yay, I've stopped the earthquake! Or wait, ...
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Though seriously he will be out of a job soon and he would be an excellent Anthony Head type actor to build interest in the US as well as the UK.

Heh, sadly I suspect the rest of them are too young to recall Patrick as the Man from Atlantis, I used to love that show when I was a youngster!
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D Ha!
    At least we will have had more warning this time. ;)
    I bet that there will be a cryptic warning/prediction in the first episode that 'ATLANTIS WILL FALL!!!'

After 3-5 series of watching and waiting it will turn out that the warning/prediction was wrong. It will be revealed that Atlantis was in fact the building stone for Mount Olympus (or something equally ridiculous).
    Lol, brilliant.

I can imagine the reviews now.
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, he has enough of a facial resemblance to Alex Vlahos to be his father. :D

With enough writing skill, ATLANTIS could be a spin off or prequel to MERLIN or at least a crossover.
    Forum Member
    I don't think Atlantis should have anything to do with Merlin. It should be it's own thing to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I don't think Atlantis should have anything to do with Merlin. It should be it's own thing to be honest.

I'd put money on the fact it won't have any connections to Merlin other than the two producers and the writer and possible guest actors.
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I'd put money on the fact it won't have any connections to Merlin other than the two producers and the writer and possible guest actors.

Yeah that's true.

Can't wait to see who the main cast will be for this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that's true.

Can't wait to see who the main cast will be for this.

By connections I mean in the story telling, I'm sure the production crew are going to be the same as it's Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy's new set up :)

And yep, I'm with you, can't wait to see the cast info, I wonder if they'll go for relative unknowns again like they did with Merlin and just have a couple of big name actors in guest roles.
    Forum Member
    I think a mixture of both. An unknown most likely for Jason but definitely some familiar faces for the other regulars.
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a mixture of both. An unknown most likely for Jason but definitely some familiar faces for the other regulars.
    Well, that's likely true but I'm not the only one who sees a MERLIN connection. In the comments of this article:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/merlin/24468/why-merlin-should-return-to-the-screen

Davros wrote:

"Merlin is to Tv the way the Allegro car was to Britsh Leyland.

But lots of people watched it, so the managers and program makers are going to make the same sort of show again for you again and set it in Greece. So dont worry, Merlin will be back in the autumn, its just that he will be called Jason and instead of running around forests and castles he will be running around Greek ruins and deserts....Greek ruins in Morocco. Instead of a CGI dragon there will be a CGI Medussa and there will be more love storys, sword fights and politically correct action in Ancient Morocco er Greece...sorry."

Besides, it took the Knight Rider franchise 5 years before making the cross over with STAR TREK and most of the series run until showing John Drake was the PRISONER (I know it's still debated...)
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I had my disapointed face on there when I realised this wasn't a Stargate Atlantis revival. Im sulky now.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this! Glad that it's an Autumn show too, it can fill Merlin's hole. (No pun intended).

(Okay, the pun was intended. :o)
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this! Glad that it's an Autumn show too, it can fill Merlin's hole. (No pun intended).

(Okay, the pun was intended. :o)

Hahaha.

I hope it does as well for the BBC as Merlin did for them and again, playing spot the guest actor each week will be fun.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have much opinion about Atlantis as a concept, either way. Ultimately, it'll depend what they do with it. What is disappointing is that, once again, we've got a male lead character.

Particularly in this instance, because unlike Who, Hood, Merlin, etc, there aren't any heroes/characters of either gender immediately associated with Atlantis (outside of Patrick Duffy and Aquaman), so this would have been the perfect opportunity to break the mould,

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    We all need to give Atlantis a fresh look without any reference to Merlin. It's a whole new series with different actors. Those actors don't deserve to have the Merlin albatross around their neck. I hope that Capps and Murphy do a better job with this series, but I will keep my mind positive.