Options

Is this company a scam?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
Forum Member
Basically I have been looking for any sort of work for a few months now and I seen a vacant position and I applied then about a day later I get this email back

good evening,

We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing your CV for the position of Sales Assistant.Our company advertised, you have been selected to join our new team in Glasgow.shopping center
We have sent this email to those who fit our job requirements.Our client is looking for 5 people to start asap all over Edinburgh (Town Centre) on the 07 of july. The job is for Sales Assistant Monday to Friday (8,30 am - 18,00 pm) with 1 hour break. We offer competitive payments starting from to £8,50/12,50 /hour ( around 45-60 hours weekly), overtime is available .We will pay you weekly by bank transfer or check.

We offer a course for 2 months 3 months NVQ level 1, 2 and 3 with a degree recognized throughout the UK. And several offers that may delight you.

Please email us back the following documents:

* Copy of passport / ID card (showing your right to work in the UK)

* Proof of address (bank statement or utility bill in your name)

* Copy of the ukash (for the CRB check)

As a result of recent Government changes to the vetting and barring scheme(VBS) the cost of Enhanced CRB check is £60. Due to insurance purposes and our client’s policy we cannot accept CRB done outside the company.

The mode of payment for your CRB is by Ukash.

Kindest Regards,

Danyel Symsu

Willis Group LTD

The only thing thats putting me off is the sending out a £60 voucher, I haven't heard of any company doing this and I dont need to do it anyway as I have my CRB check here. I've searched the internet for "bad things" about the Willis Group but so far haven't found anything but its still the send out £60 voucher that is leaving me feeling a bit tentative, and the fact they havent given me a phone number to call

What says DS?

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've never met anyone face to face but they're offering you a job.

Scam.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    google Willis Group Ltd, and see if you think the email you received might've come from them.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    leemuir wrote: »
    I dont need to do it anyway as I have my CRB check here.

Sorry, but you haven't - CRB checks are non-transferable - so it isn't of any use to you.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scam!
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willis Group Limited appears to be a very substantial company but its activity is insurance/reinsurance, it sounds like a scam but not by them in my opinion.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a www.duedil.com check and if its the same company, they are a legit company, only red flags are two legal battles which aren't anything to be concerned about.

Check duedil yourself and see what you think, they would appear to be a legitimate multinational. Whether the email is legit is another matter, make sure its coming from them and not someone posing as them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    They want £60 up front for something you've already got - it looks like a scam to me. They haven't given any details of their 'client' or the degree they are promising.

I hope you get a genuine offer soon.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing your CV for the position of Sales Assistant.Our company advertised, you have been selected to join our new team in Glasgow.shopping center. We have sent this email to those who fit our job requirements.Our client is looking for 5 people to start asap all over Edinburgh (Town Centre) on the 07 of july.
    So is the job in Edinburgh or Glasgow? Center or centre?
    We offer a course for 2 months 3 months NVQ level 1, 2 and 3 with a degree recognized throughout the UK. And several offers that may delight you.
    So is this a sales assistant job or a degree course? And is the suggestion that you could obtain a degree in just a few months while also working as a sales assistant?

Odd and pretty illiterate English too. I wouldn't send any money.

Also, "We will pay you weekly by bank transfer or check." Is the writer British (as also in "center")?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The email sounds fishy, you really need to make sure its legit, I suspect its not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also seems odd that the job (if job there be, which I doubt) is supposed to start on "the 07 of july" [sic], which is, of course, tomorrow (Sunday), and yet the days worked are said to be Monday to Friday.

Are we to think there will be time for a CRB check before the OP starts work tomorrow in Glasgow, or maybe Edinburgh? :rolleyes:

It may be that the company mentioned is perfectly legitimate, but it seems extremely unlikely that the email came from one of its employees.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's real. I've had thousands of job offers after just sending an application.

Who needs interviews?

Really?

Really?

I mean,

Really?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are they offering low-paid retail jobs in Scotland to people in Bootle?

Where exactly is "all over Edinburgh (Town Centre)"?

Why are Willis Group Ltd doing it when retail isn't their thing?

Criminal record checks in Scotland are through Disclosure Scotland, they're unlikely to be calling them "CRB checks".

Do their contact details look remotely genuine?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »

Also, "We will pay you weekly by bank transfer or check." Is the writer British (as also in "center")?
    Not only that, but I can't believe a company that's large - and organised - enough to offer NVQ training would pay their employees by cheque. It's too much hassle for all but the tiniest or, shall we say, not entirely legit companies.

OP - as has been said, I don't know if the company is legit or not, but that e-mail is definitely suspicious, to say the least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did the e-mail come from? what is the last part of the e-mail address after the @?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about this screams Scam.

Identity theft being the cake & £60 moron fee being the icing on it.

Scammers / Phishers trade-off the reputations of reputable organisations. I'm confident that one phone-call to the real Wallis Group will reveal this email did not come from them, and they've never heard of Danyel Symsu.

Do NOT send this person anything.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT UTTER RUBBISH

whoever made up that so-called job position should be ASHAMED of themselves ..... as i very much doubt a FIVE YEAR OLD would be taken in by the hilarious nature of the make up of it!

TRASH IT
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most suspicious thing (out of many) is the use of ukash. I believe that all you need to get the money is the ukash reference. Hence the payment is untraceable.

Why would a large company use a system like that?

If you can copy and paste the email properties (obliterating the "To" details, I'm sure someone can tell you its origin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anybody is stupid enough to go for that, they should.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it wasn't a scam, which it is, I wouldn't pay someone to employ me. They are supposed to pay you.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    There were too many spelling mistakes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were too many spelling mistakes.

Agreed!
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lots of similar scams have been reported:
    http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=145853

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t117355-scam-jobs-careful/

http://www.welshbikers.co.uk/forum/the-welshbikers-cafe/employment-scam/

and even UKASH warn against it
    https://www.ukash.com/en-GB/Security_Alerts/
    DO NOT send Ukash to anyone asking for a fee to release a loan, send you lottery winnings or process a CRB check. These are scams and YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MONEY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leemuir, where did you see the "job" advertised?
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The general standard of English in the email is appalling.

Everything about it screams 'scam' - send them £60 and I'm pretty sure you'll never hear from them again.......unless there's another 'fee' that you have to pay before you start 'work'.

I can't stand these leeches who try to scam people who are genuinely seeking work and can't afford to lose a fiver, never mind £60.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    good evening,
    A legitimate e-mail about a job will never start with a time-of-day greeting. It should be "Dear..." whoever.
    We are glad to inform you that after carefully reviewing your CV for the position of Sales Assistant.Our company advertised, you have been selected to join our new team in Glasgow.shopping center
    What?!? No interview?
    We have sent this email to those who fit our job requirements.Our client is looking for 5 people to start asap all over Edinburgh (Town Centre) on the 07 of july. The job is for Sales Assistant Monday to Friday (8,30 am - 18,00 pm) with 1 hour break. We offer competitive payments starting from to £8,50/12,50 /hour ( around 45-60 hours weekly), overtime is available .We will pay you weekly by bank transfer or check.
    This bit really confused me. In the beginning it says Glasgow, now it's Edinburgh.

Now if we overlook the fact that their geography is crap, there's also a slight confusion over the date. The hours are Monday - Friday 8.30am to 6pm, but you're starting on a Sunday allegedly.

The hours are confusing as well. The European Working Time Directive limits you working to 48 hours a week. You can sign a waiver that releases you from this, but a person cannot be refused a job if they don't wish to sign it. Now 45 hours will be pushing the limit a little. Also, if the store is open from 8.30am - 6pm and you're working for the full 60 hours, how can you get overtime (unless it's of a weekend). Yes, it's nit-picking but a 'real' employer would be more explicit about the hours, not to mention it's like they're 'selling' the job after you've applied to make it more enticing.

Also, I've never heard of an employer paying by cheque (notice they use the American spelling) in recent times. It also fails to state when you would be paid.
    Huh?!?
    Please email us back the following documents:

* Copy of passport / ID card (showing your right to work in the UK)

* Proof of address (bank statement or utility bill in your name)

* Copy of the ukash (for the CRB check)

As a result of recent Government changes to the vetting and barring scheme(VBS) the cost of Enhanced CRB check is £60. Due to insurance purposes and our client’s policy we cannot accept CRB done outside the company.

The mode of payment for your CRB is by Ukash.
    Now all the things they're asking you to e-mail can be used for identity theft and/or fraud. A real employer would ask you to bring proof of it to the interview or on your first day at work if it was in doubt.

Also, it takes a while for an enhanced disclosure so even if you paid last week I doubt you'd have it returned yet. I doubt there is a legitimate employer anywhere, that would want payment via Ukash. I've heard of employers asking you to pay for your own disclosure (there was an airport that hit the headlines for it a while back), but I've never heard of it being paid by Ukash.
    Kindest Regards,

Danyel Symsu

Willis Group LTD
    I googled the name alone and in connection with the Willis Group and pulled nothing up (apart from a load of DS links to this thread) and some other non-related stuff.

It's almost certainly a scam.