Options

Toothache

casualty1casualty1 Posts: 67
Forum Member
Hey everyone,

Been having really bad Toothache since Monday evening,
for which I have been using paracetamol and clove oil to relieve the pain,

Went to the dentist this afternoon and was told I need my tooth removed due to a massive hole in it but I have to wait two weeks until he can do it so he's just put in a temporary filling and if anything it now hurts more now then it did before he put it in.

He's given me some antibiotics to use before I have it removed but I'm still in loads of pain and the clove oil and paracetamol are not relieving the pain.

Really don't think I can take two weeks of this pain anyone got any idea's on what I should do?

Don't want to go to A&E and waste their time and if I went to my doctor would he be able to give me anything stronger then paracetamols?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be an idea to go to a pharmacist and ask for something codeine based, or whether you can alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol (depends on other meds that you are on etc). It'll take a couple of days for the antibiotics to really start working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Might be an idea to go to a pharmacist and ask for something codeine based, or whether you can alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol (depends on other meds that you are on etc). It'll take a couple of days for the antibiotics to really start working.

Thanks for the reply thatdarncat,
    Will go to my local pharmacy tomorrow :)
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes you can alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol. I've been told on numerous occasions by medical professionals that it's fine to do so, as long as you don't exceed the dosages.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    Yes you can alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol. I've been told on numerous occasions by medical professionals that it's fine to do so, as long as you don't exceed the dosages.

Depends on whether you are asthmatic, or on meds for hypertension etc. Ibuprofen can interact with quite a few medicines.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    casualty1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Been having really bad Toothache since Monday evening,
    for which I have been using paracetamol and clove oil to relieve the pain,

Went to the dentist this afternoon and was told I need my tooth removed due to a massive hole in it but I have to wait two weeks until he can do it so he's just put in a temporary filling and if anything it now hurts more now then it did before he put it in.

He's given me some antibiotics to use before I have it removed but I'm still in loads of pain and the clove oil and paracetamol are not relieving the pain.

Really don't think I can take two weeks of this pain anyone got any idea's on what I should do?

Don't want to go to A&E and waste their time and if I went to my doctor would he be able to give me anything stronger then paracetamols?

The antibiotics should significantly ease the pain in a couple of days. How many days have you been given?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemonbun wrote: »
    The antibiotics should significantly ease the pain in a couple of days. How many days have you been given?

7 days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pucky wrote: »

Thanks might give this a try :)
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume the dentist thinks you have an infection hence why he gave you antibiotics so I would stick with them.
    It might take a day or so for them to start working but once they do you should get a lot of relief.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an abscess and the dentist will not remove the tooth until the infection is cleared up. Stick with the anti biotics.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I had bad toothache a couple of Christmases ago during the time all the dentists were closed for 3 days! On Boxing Day I went to the chemists and asked what was the strongest painkiller which I could buy over the counter without a prescription.

Nurofen Plus was the answer! Ibuprofen and codeine are the active ingredients. So I bought a packet and started taking them and they took my toothache away completely. They were just brilliant!

There's a warning that you can only take them for three days or they can become addictive. Also, OP, you would need to check that they can be taken with the antibiotics which you say you are also taking.

I only took them for three days but I found that was all that was necessary. I didn't even go to the dentists afterwards, I didn't have any further problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    I had bad toothache a couple of Christmases ago during the time all the dentists were closed for 3 days! On Boxing Day I went to the chemists and asked what was the strongest painkiller which I could buy over the counter without a prescription.

Nurofen Plus was the answer! Ibuprofen and codeine are the active ingredients. So I bought a packet and started taking them and they took my toothache away completely. They were just brilliant!

There's a warning that you can only take them for three days or they can become addictive. Also, OP, you would need to check that they can be taken with the antibiotics which you say you are also taking.

I only took them for three days but I found that was all that was necessary. I didn't even go to the dentists afterwards, I didn't have any further problems.

Thanks for the information galaxy266 and other above will speak to the pharmacist tomorrow about it.
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things to try rub the tooth with Vanilla essence or bite on a fresh Lime the Vanilla is best the Lime stings to start but both work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if the decay kills the nerve, the pain will stop as it will then be a dead tooth. That will probably happen very soon if you're in raging pain OP - if it hasn't already. Then, the anti-biotics should kill the infection down and you will be anyway pain free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Gargle salt water as well, if paracetamol isn't helping and you've got antibiotics then you've most definitely got an infection. I was in agony with one to the point of calling the out of hours dentist at 3 am, they recommended gargling with warm salt water and it although it tastes VILE, it killed the pain straight away, i even noticed my jaw was sore because id been clenching my teeth through the pain, but there was no pain in the tooth. You have to repeat this as it wont stop the pain for long, but for a quick solution, it works :)
  • Options
    PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you NHS or private?

The reason I ask is that could you not have root canal treatment and a crown?

If you are Nhs they may opt to take the tooth out and not discuss the options. I know they do this.

For root canal and crown the most you will pay is 214, and this also covers your check up, scale & Polish and also any other fillings you may need.

How much did they ask for the extraction?

Check out the Nhs website, I hope you get sorted soon x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Get a bottle of clove oil from chemists, dip a cotton bud into the clove oil and apply to the painful area and I guarantee you will be pain free in seconds. No tablets needed.

1- It tastes like shite, but if you're in agony that wont matter.

2- The clove oil is like an anaesthetic, so wherever you apply it will go numb. If pain returns just re-apply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Waynefromwales - Thanks for your suggestion although I have already been using clove oil. It does work but seems to wear off within no time :(

PPWW - I'm having the tooth removed in 2 weeks time which will cost me £49. Just wish the dentist could rip it out now (feel like doing it myself soon)

Jems - Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a try :)

Dolls - hoping it kills the nerve very very soon :)

jioscar - Interesting will give this a try :)

Starting to wish I hadn't eaten all those chocolates over Christmas now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sorry double posted
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest favour the dental profession ever did themselves was convincing the general public that they need antibiotics before they can take a tooth out.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    The biggest favour the dental profession ever did themselves was convincing the general public that they need antibiotics before they can take a tooth out.

I had an badly infected tooth(gum was double the size, nasty taste in my mouth)out before Christmas I was quite surprised that I didn't get given antibiotics I was half expecting them. My Dentist took it out in about a minute, got most of the infection out and then put antibiotics in the hole and sent me home telling me that my body will clear the little infection that was left. The only downside was that I needed 6 injections before I was numb and that was apparently due to the level of infection that I had.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dentists prescribe antibiotics prior to removing a tooth if there is an infection/abcess in the tooth. The infection needs to be treated before the extraction can go ahead.

The intense pain you are feeling is caused by the infection & the antibiotics should kick in within 48 hours of beginning the course, although I know from experience that it can occasionally take a bit longer.

Were you prescribed metronidazole? The reason I ask that is if you were you mustn't drink any alcohol whilst taking them & for 24 hours after your course has finished or you will be incredibly sick.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member

I've tried using this, as has a friend recently and it isn't string enough.