Radio One Jingle Package ( Your Favourite )?

Comments

• Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    I think my favourite Jingles are from when you had The Happy Happy Sound jingle followed by the 1990/1993 package.

I think it is such a shame that it does not have jingles like that now and there are is also no travel news, the idents on Radio 1 now just make it sound like a dance and hip hop station all the time.

I really do wish they would get back to having travel news as well as some good jingles on the station.

I know Radio 2 does a really good job at providing travel and the travel at the weekends is a very good service, but if people want to listen to Radio 1 then they do not want to have to change to Radio 2 to hear travel news.

I remember when you could have travel news during the Top 40 with Bruno Brookes and when Bruno in 1988 even made a mistake and played the travel news jingle on the Top 40., oh for the days.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Happy happy Sound stuff was vintage Radio One, back when it was still a happy station and a pleasure to liten to.

I like almost all the pre-1975 stuff too, Pams, Pepper-Tanner etc. Good, happy jingles as they should be.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    I guess your "favourite" package will be largely determined by when you listened to the station the most.

For me, it was the 1984 "best sound in Britain" Jam package, which were largely re-sings of the Jam package for KIMN Denver.

Yep, same here.

Wonderful to hear these again.

Thanks to Robin for posting them up.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Want to see how JAM produced the 1984 package?

Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgd_UKX5wcg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 was such a great station back then. Such a pity it's not like that now.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pams "Music Explosion" 1966 they were new to BBC Radio 1 in 1967, but not to listeners of Radio London which went off the air that August:) www.pams.com
  • old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's called getting old Alex.:D

You'll be saying music today is not as good as when we were young next!
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The transformation from Radio 1 to 1FM was a great expense to the corrporation. Personally they shouldn't have done it. At the end of the day both jingle packages were brilliant - and it gave the anoraks like me something to keep. What was the name of the voice over bloke who did 1FM package? I did enjoy the 4.55am package. Also used to wake up to listen in. Sad an't I. :D
  • anonymous_user_1anonymous_user_1 Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Re-branding to "1FM" for a while was a good move - creating the awareness of Radio 1 now being on FM after (suffering) on medium wave for so long (especially compared to the other national networks of the time). Also handy to have awareness for your 1derful station when the Charter Renewal is around the corner :)
  • metal cassettemetal cassette Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Completely agree, Radio 1 in the 70's, 80's and even the early 90's was a good station to listen to (except for Steve Wright and Adrian Juste) but ever since Matthew Bannister got his hands on it around 1993 it has become unlistenable and sounds too much like the pirate FM stations which clog up the band here in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all of Radio 1 back then was brilliant. It's a shame Adrian Juste never continued somewhere with his shows.
  • monkey8650monkey8650 Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know which Jingle package ' RADIO1 IS WONDERFULL' came from. I think it was when they first come on air?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkey8650 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which Jingle package ' RADIO1 IS WONDERFULL' came from. I think it was when they first come on air?

Hi, Monkey the Jingle Package is "The Music Explosion" Pams Series 31 Produced way back in June 1966 used by Radio 1 from September 1967. I have the package along with the others on the " The Radio One Jingles" CD, Radio 1 used the childrens song London bridge Is Falling Down etc Radio One Is Wonderfull just to be different I suppose, As I've said before the package was a carbon copy of Radio London's the year before. I think you can still buy the CD try www.radiofab.com
  • monkey8650monkey8650 Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    Hi, Monkey the Jingle Package is "The Music Explosion" Pams Series 31 Produced way back in June 1966 used by Radio 1 from September 1967. I have the package along with the others on the " The Radio One Jingles" CD, Radio 1 used the childrens song London bridge Is Falling Down etc Radio One Is Wonderfull just to be different I suppose, As I've said before the package was a carbon copy of Radio London's the year before. I think you can still buy the CD try www.radiofab.com

Many Thanks Ray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkey8650 wrote: »
    Many Thanks Ray.

No problem, just had a look at the site & the cd is still there hope you grab a copy:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pips at 5am - Rise and shine on radio 1 - aaaaaacross the uk britians favourite radio 1 - " Seasonal Greetings from Radio 1".. Sad moment there. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like them
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know most of you probably hate them but where can I get my hands on recent years jingle packages for Radio 1. Even ones from 2005/6 etc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    What was the jingle, used I guess in the early 80s til about 86,
    "Radio One... The Best Way... To Start Your Day... The Breakfast Show"
    wihout humming it, twas slowish with lots of oohs and ahhs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was the male US voice used by Radio 1 in the early 90s.

Chris Moyles still uses his stuff when he does the Golden Hour on Fridays.

I wonder how many old jingles were saved? Did Radio 1 have to store them somewhere? I've got a lot saved myself. It's quite facinating how many were made, but wern't aired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never had a favourite R1 package but did have a favourite Radio 1 jingle which was the 10D "Music hour by hour". I always thought PAMS were pretending to be TM when they first recorded that magnificent jingle!
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Johnny Beerling rescue loads of old R1 stuff that was being dumped in a tip? Whether Radio 1 still has archives of all it's old jingles is uncertain. They certainly no longer have the rights to play the JAM jingles without prior permission from JAM. That's why Moyles stays to a relatively small collection of jingles - ones that JAM have approved for use (I guess not currently licensed to other stations).
    Of course back in the days of early breakfast Moyles played any JAM jingle he could get his hands on, until JAM stopped him.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a far better station now, though could be a great deal better. Bannister did a brilliant job. To think people worship Dr Dick :rolleyes:

R1's had some great jingles over the years. I love the vintage stuff, and "Dial the super sound" from the 70s. What I don't get is the imaging now, which is dire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jam will have copies of them, but I would expect radio stations like Radio One would keep there old jingles somewhere.
  • paulhayes50paulhayes50 Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember the Big 'Huuuuuuuuur' that Adrian John and Simon Mayo used add to the on the hour jingle....

THe jingle went something like...
    Across the UK ...'Huuurrr'... Britains favorite radio one.

It used to be the highlight of my day. about 1988